Have you ever added a docking cleat to your boat?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

After watching my pride and joy do it's best impression of a submarine last year, I have changed a couple things...

First, the boat. While I work on the Jet Boat, I have a 2002 Gekko GTO 22. Amazingly enough, it doesn't have much more free board than the Jet.

Second, I now park bow out.

I tie the back of the boat to the tow, but the middle of the boat, I tie off to the ski pylon, which then makes it a pain to put the cover on. Had anyone added a docking cleat to their boat? Looking for some advice on that.

• Baller_

Most manufacturers offer pop up cleats. you could order a pair from most any of the dealerships or look online.

I omit them from my boats as I had a personal experience with them years ago. Lets just say I slipped over the side of the boat and got my personal junk hung up on one that was popped out..

• Baller
Surprising that cleats are an option that seem to be left of most ski boats where they are pretty standard on most other boats. Many boat supply stores will have a couple cleat options. The pop up look nice and will protect your junk..... after drilling pilot holes, counter sink slightly to keep gel coat from cracking, then put a sealant on the screws before screwing them in.

• Baller
I can't stress how important the comment from @ScottScott is, especially if you are using self-tapping screws and not through-bolting. (although if at all possible cleats should be through bolted) If a thread of a self-tapping screw comes in contact with any gel-coat as it it driven in, you WILL get gel-coat cracks. Counter sink with a good sharp bit to ensure the gel-coat is removed from contact with any screw or bolt.