Radar Senate Lithium - review first rides

Horton

• Administrators

I took 2 sets on the Senate today. Holy BatCrap is that thing FAST!

Moving from a purebred shortline ski like a Vapor to the Senate is a bit of an adjustment but I ran some stupid easy 32s and a decent 35 on my second set. I think I need to make a fin adjustment or two but this thing is fun.

More to come.

• Baller
@Horton ... Have my '17 Senate Lithium in the garage waiting for its first ride. It has a super glossy bottom and top. They must have polished the molds to a mirror shine. Do you think it's speed comes from the smooth finish or the extra 0.2" width?

• Baller

@Horton are you testing these midrange skis with or without a wing?

When I look at the 2015 senate settings there are Rini, Rossi and Wilson numbers. What would be the best starting point for 15 off working up to 34mph?

• Baller
Sounds like you have the settings but not sure which to use. I was in the same boat with the 2016 Radar Senate Graphite. Try all 3 and stick with the settings that feel best and tweet from those. I seemed to favor Rossi's numbers on my 2016 but that's a personal thing rather than "who's are best". Rini's numbers worked well too.

• Baller
@Horton it's great that you are reviewing mid-level skis. FYI - this review would be more interesting if the ski was a Graphite Senate. I think a lot of 15 off skiers think of the Lithium Senate as a short line ski for bigger guy's. Also, the Graphite is more in the mid-level (-15, -22) price range. just my 2 cents

• Administrators

@Bill22 With the different levels of Vapor or the different levels of Senate the differences are all about materials.

With Vapor you can get Pro Build, Lithium, or Graphite

With Senate you can get Lithium, Graphite, or Alloy

@Brooks or @eddie_roberts_jr would have to chime in the on the actual technical difference between Lithium and Graphite. I am confident that as a skier I would mostly feel less acceleration off the ball with the Graphite. The higher spec skis may also turn better but that is hard to separate that from the fact the ski is faster out of the previous turn.

I would advise you to spend the few extra dollars and get the Lithium. You should also get it from Bill at @perfski