New Props Day

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Acme 515 and 525 to re-prop from the old original SS CVP for altitude. Will test both out and likely make one primary and one a spare, after seeing which one gets the RPM's where we want them. Or may switch when we move from the lower high altitude season to the higher high altitude season. One was new but stored for extra (the 525) and one was used a lightly used and lightly repaired (515)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/BoatBoating/1C091439-75EC-4BF1-BD1A-5853F0741B8C_zpsk62actmh.jpg~original

• Baller
@DavidN, ours is a '98 Response with the 325 Monsoon, and it was short a few RPM's at WOT with the stock 13x13. It lived its whole life up to last summer at Lake Sammamish, so basically sea level. I am thinking the 515 will be good at the lower lakes we ski, and the 525 when we are up high, but will be able to see for sure in a few weeks. It may be we just go for the 525. That one was unused, but has a little tarnish on it from being stored in the boat as a spare, in Wisconsin, at a ski show place (both props came from there). The Acme guy I talked to says he likes that one as an option.

• Baller

i put the 525 on my new to me Sunsetter LXI - owner had CVP prop on and this acme sitting in a box for 14 years. It pulls like a beast - shocking how much.

Interested to see your results. It puts me at 5550 rpm with just me at 900 feet elevation - my engine is rated 5200-5600 WOT.

• Baller_
@torontoboater : At sea level, the 515 might be a better option, Malibu hulls are not real draggy and the 515 will be pretty close to a 1 mph : 100 RPM ratio, the 525 according to Acme will be ~ 2-300 RPM higher. Choose the RPM range you want to operate in as a guide. As @Mitzysman notes, the 525 will offer a slightly better holeshot and pull amazingly well out of the hole so multiple footers, heavy skiers may like that better. Another consideration is how much the boat is loaded, if a lot, the 525 would be a better option.

• Baller

@torontoboater I'm at sea level too - well 900' - anyhow I think either are gonna be great. My numbers above were on a 50 degree day. I talked to Acme and my 525 puts me right at the rpm level I need and allows for some room on those warm days - they said the 515 would drop me 150 RPM.

I typically have a full boat so I like to be closer to the top of the rpm range vs the bottom. Your engine rpm is likely lower though

• Baller
Thanks DW. Boat will usually be loaded with 2 adults, 3 kids, and gear. Skiing for me and skiing and tubing (large,3 person tube) for the kids. No footing (those days are behind me) so top end is not a great concern. Just smooth, strong power at the low and mid range is what I'm most after.

• Baller

After a somewhat slow start to our season in terms of projects, I got the old CVP (No M, MD or anything I could see) swapped out and put on the 515. Ran it for the first time yesterday at Magic. The boat seemed to have no problem getting right up to 5000 rpms, and was topping out at around 44 with a crew of two and a lot of ski gear. I would guess I would get a couple more MPH if it were just me, as it was when I tested the CVP. Gas tank was about 1/2. So, will see how it works at the higher lakes to see if I have any reason to run the 525. But if it holds RPMs in this range, I think I am good with the 515. I did not really get to test top speed and WOT for too long, as Magic had a lot of wood in it, and I did not want to risk WOT for very long. We did find a pretty clean side of the lake to ski, but it still was like Puget sound after a big tide. Still had to watch for some bigger pieces floating around. Fortunately, we came away unscathed. Did catch one little stick when idling through a spot pretty thick with small debris and heard a little crunch, but no apparent damage. Probably not going back down to Magic until the lake drops a bit and hangs up the majority of those floaters.

The rpms did change at the running and towing speeds as compared the the CVP. rather than about 1 to 1, I seemed to about 3500 rpms to hold 34, around 3300 rpms to hold 32, etc.

Hole shot seemed great, boat seems smooth and strong with this prop so far.

• Baller

For me, I called Gekko and they said they had a lot of good luck with the 515. I gave it a try and while it doesn't pull QUITE as hard out of the hole at the 525, I felt like it softened the wake a bit, which was a good trade off for me.

I did use my single use depth finder this weekend though and have another 515 being shipped out.

• Baller
I'm getting ready to replace the stock cvp on my 2000 response lx with monsoon. I'm leaning towards the oj force 13 x 13 4 blade. (1218) I've found that prop seems to put out a softer trough to cross then cnc. Just my opinion based on my old supra and my buddies 02 LX

• Baller_
@foxriverat : Did your gang do a comparison on one boat with the OJ 1218 or are you simply comparing two similar boats? The softer trough, is that due to more aeration in the table or makes the actual trough a different shape? Thx.

• Baller
@DW I did the comparison on my supra. The cnc acme 543 against the Oj 13 x 13 4 blade. It was due to the aeration in the table. Trough was pretty much the same. Didn't compare different props on my buds 02 RLX. It's what came on his boat and he has the softest wake of all 4 boats we ski. My 2000 RLX 2003 RLXI 2016 prostar.