Horton

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_

Sure looks like he runs over the gate, the rope gets wrapped up around the spinning prop, the boat gets suddenly dragged down enough to be swamped, and then the water-logged interior hydraulics the engine which seizes, and then the anchor line unwraps nicely and all is well with the course again.

the moral of the story, "get the boat lined up early, and stay in the center of the boat guides"

• Baller
I think he was narrow on his gate and really didn't hold his edge very long into 1....overall a pretty crappy gate. So the driver offsided him a bit at the gate; that's no excuse to friggin give up. You're not always going to get great driving. You have to deal with it when that happens.

@horton @Bruce_Butterfield I’ll bet a bottle of whiskey that the inexperienced driver panicked after hearing all the instruction on how to drive in the course. The poor kid tried to hit the “down button “ on the XBox controller which jammed the boat hard into reverse. Submarine for the boat cause the air intake to suck in enough water to dead head whatever cylinder threw a rod.

The motor seizing would let the trans coast until the boat stopped. Wanna test it, turn off the key when you’re at speed. The only way to make the boat do that is full reverse.

If it wasn’t sucking in water that causes the engine failure, it was disengaging ZO and full throttle reverse over revving the engine. Unlikely the motor was that close to throwing a rod without hearing an awful noise back at the dock.

• Baller

Will the boat insurance pay off with a 13 yr old driver.?

My insurance company rep said liability was only in place for an underage boat driver when an adult was also in the boat - not just skiing behind. I wonder if there are similar restrictions for the comprehensive coverage.

Edit. I read my policy and don't see any age restrictions for any coverage. They do exclude hydro-foiling from medical coverage.

• Baller

The other option would be sort of a "timer" function - no weight in gear for x seconds kills engine - I'd use this mostly for when you're standing in the boat talking to a skier in the water between passes or to toss them the handle and you need to "bump" the boat around.

Happens to us alot when a skier falls towards shore and you loop to get them the handle you get some drift about and need minor adjustments but also need some standing.

• Baller

We have those on the jet cars...a digitset is set for x amount of time beyond what the normal ET would be for a auto-shutoff and deployment of the main chute so one doesn’t do any sailing off the end of the track in full burner if incapacitated. Also have a deadman’s switch on the steering wheel. Total PIA system that doesn’t work well for us...

With the EFI boats you could have a idle only out of the seat, with the carb boats a solenoid pin to block the throttle movement into drive.

Totally un necessary IMO...have someone qualified and competent driving.

@JayG80 The comp side of the policy (if they have it) would cover the boat, not the liability side

• Baller
With modern DBW throttle it would probably be a simple software change for the manufacturer to prevent adding throttle in reverse while moving forward at skiing speed. I am not sure if the transmission engagement is still mechanical or not (at the lever), but if on a sensor then reverse could be locked out as well at higher forward speeds.

• Baller
That duck to the nuts looks like it hurt. We have a lot of ducks, geese and swans around and I worry about hitting one. The swans in particular are big and don't move when you approach them. The ducks usually duck under the water if you are real close to them.

• Baller_
When I was a kid there was tri hull 16 foot boat with a 80HP outboard. They were pulling one of those flat boards that looks like a wide toboggan, It was direct connect to ski rope and then the rider held on to handle that was on the Skerf Board. It went down into the water and to the bottom of the lake. The boat ends upside down with three in the water. Crazy that a waterski rope could handle that.

• Baller

@Wish if that guy was on trick skis, he would have gotten up and thrown a nice back to run out of mud and really had an impressive dry land ball of dust!

Eric

PS did I ever mention my down to earth skiing on snow skiing in a quarry? No videos from then but the National Geographic photographer wasn't able to sell the story. I must have skied too well, no blood and blood sells.

• Administrators
That fall is the first time I've ever broken a pair of glasses because I went in face-first so hard. The strangest part is the only thing that really hurt was the top of my head

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
I have to confess whenever I am appalled w/ life in general or the inner workings of the sport I just go back to the first page of this thread and look at all the videos and it makes me happy

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

While I was watching it I was thinking this guy is a pretty darn good skier, maybe a bit out of control but pretty good none the less. thought it might be someone taking a swing at 38

Then I realized it was nate at 41 DOH!!

• Baller
Got to watch my son take a beating last Sunday at collegiate Western Regionals. He's not getting any jump practice lately except tournaments and he also was pretty sick from collegiate tournament Saturday Night-itis. His mom had come out to watch him jump, too. Late cut on his first attempt (what else are you going to do when you're hung over?), arms pulled out, crap position off the second wake, horrendous out the back. There was a lot of gasping, yelling, dudes heroically running and diving into the water. I just stood there with my arms crossed because I knew he would be OK even though he got the snot knocked out of him. He shook it off, put his skis back on and put up a shaky, but decent second jump that got him the win. Barely. Not a great jump, but I was impressed with his getting back on the horse.

• Baller
@jimbrake His first comment after we got back to him was "I should have passed". That 2nd and 3rd jump took some guts. At first he was only going to single, but then he decided to go for it on the next jump. And then afterwards, found out he had a broken fin from barely getting on the first jump.