Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_

Many things wrong there.

Knees not together.

Drinking.

No life jacket or barefoot suit.

Not all that calm.

Boat seems to be going faster than necessary.

I’d even be surprised if that bikini top stayed on through that fall.

Ah, youth.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@RichardDoane, what is the backstory on that? Did the steering cable break in the boat or was it just horrid driving? Was the submarining the result of the snag or something else? Any injuries? Looked quite violent.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
It looks like the driver slammed it in reverse. A couple local buddies did that in an MC when I was a kid, with the same result...submarined the thing. @j2nh you must remember when Gary and Steve did that in the windshield-less '84 Gary had? Water up to the gunwales!

• Baller

@swc5150 - do you think you'd do that with a skier in tow? I'm usually cruise engaged well before that and focused on boat path.

I'm still thinking there was maybe a rope dragging from the bow, drivers off on the LT boat guide line and starts turning back in and wraps it in the shaft. WHAM.

• Baller
@BraceMaker you very well could be right? The driver looked pretty confused, so a reverse slam was my first thought. Being that the driver didn't bank his face off the windshield, it seems like a he may have braced for a planned maneuver? Would love to hear his story.

• Baller_
That stop was waay too abrupt to be caused by slamming in reverse. It had to be the prop catching on the anchor line as the stop was immediate and the boat stayed right at the anchor point even after it bobbed back up. I wonder if they use screw anchors and steel cables to tie the buoys on.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
I got info from one of the members at Broadside Harbor. The boat is in the shop trying to figure out what happened. No damage to the course other then the guide buoy. Line that was hit is 1/4' poly so that wouldn't stop the boat. There is speculation that the motor may have seized up (or is the issue from taking all that water). But they won't know until the shop gets the diagnosis.

swc5150, I do remember when they buried it. A couple of clowns.

Got your Prostar broken in yet? 130 hours so far on mine.

After watching it a couple of times I am pretty sure he was dragging an anchor from the bow port cleat. Assuming he was a competent driver you could see how much he was struggling to keep the boat lined up, anchor hooked on something and bam. They were super lucky that the boat didn't roll.

• Baller_

Wow!

Would a motor blowing up possibly send it into reverse?? Seems if the motor blew and the prop just stops turning, the boat would just glide along coming to a stop. It looks an awful lot like the vid of the MC submerging.

• Baller
I shared this video with a friend who used to be involved in boat racing and his response was, it looks like the motor seized. He said that is exactly what a race boat does when a motor seizes and the prop stops abruptly. Still... that was some bad driving and my guess would have been they ran over buoys/cables and that is what caused the accident.

• Baller_

@ Horton a rather odd coincidence that the motor blows up at the exact point where the prop runs over the buoy anchor line. I don’t buy it.

“Maybe” if the anchor line wrapped around the shaft tight enough to stop the shaft turning I could see that “blowing” the engine.

Even if the prop froze instantaneously, I have a hard time believing it could stop the boat that quickly.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I did the ole MC submarine in a 197. Skier popped the handle and put a loop of rope over my head. I put the boat in neutral to get my arms up between the rope and my neck before it strangled me. The rope got all the way in front of the throttle and when it tightened it put the boat in full reverse. The sudden change in speed put the nose under water and about a foot of water came over the windshield. An air pocket in the motor box protected the engine and the boat was running a day later after drying out.

Use those shock tubes!

• Administrators

The engine threw a rod and the engine stopped. The course does not have any cables and there was no marks on any of the underwater brass. As weird as it seems this was just the propeller stopping.

@Bruce_Butterfield dude after all these years you must know if I didn't have good information I wouldn't state that I actually knew what happened.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can