Mastercraft Powerstar

Ski_Dad

• Administrators
If you are not skiing at a tournament level that boat should be AWESOME. If you are running 28 off and shorter at 34 or 36 it is going to give a whacky pull and will not track very well. The wakes should be very small with a mean rooster tail at some length depending on how you trim the engine.

• Baller

definitely not tournament level - just free skiing and my friends like to barefoot. 80% of the time it's me, my wife and 3 boys - just didn't want rope to hit the boys. This thing is 10 hours away but really enticing b/c I grew up with outboards.

I talked to the guy for quite a while last night - seems like a nice compromise boat

• Baller

15 and 22 wake will be far better than the inboards. Shorter than that the wake stays small but gets hard and it will get a lot tougher on the driver if in the course at shorter lines. MC did not drop tracking fins if I recall like Flightcraft, Centurion, Sanger on the outboard models.

Works great for kids at long-line/low speeds too...again way smaller wake than the inboards.

As a recreational family boat should be awesome...lots of room given no motor box, center ski pylon, goes like hell, open bow. Just depends on your mission.

• Baller
Not sure i'd put anyone in the jump seats if someone is skiing from the pylon regardless of line length. Ropes can break. Skier can get slack in the rope and then it goes tight in an instant. Could be dangerous if someone isn't paying attention. I'd feel safer with people in the bow. More weight up there will help reduce bow rise on take off and might help improve tracking too.

• Baller

I see the fins now, too. Blame my aging memory...fins make it even better.

I've skied into 35 off at 36 behind an outboard centurion back in the day and I'm a handful to drive...the old man pulled it off with ridiculously consistent boat times hand driving no speed control.

• Baller
If I never touched a course and only did long line free-skiing, I would think that to be a pretty perfect boat. If it were me though, I would definitely be putting the kids in the bow, not those back two jump seats. That's a little too close for comfort for my tastes.

• Baller

@Mitzysman - that's a cool boat! Would think that if those rear bimini straps don't interfere with the line at 15/22, then the jump seat occupants would be okay if the captain is reasonably vigilant. Handle pops are a risk hard to avoid but typically skier intensity related.

If the asking price is still 17.5k, imo that's too much, even if the boat is somewhat of a rarity (~180 made?). The boat looks good with the new vinyl but an 18 yo Merc (2-stroke); maybe 60% of that price and its worth a look.

There may be a lot of fun, great-time, open water experiences left in that rig, for the right price.

• Baller

Now we are talking some serious recreational free-skiing if you're hooking to that thing way back there. But if that's what you're doing, then I guess sure, why not.

If you get a full grown adult male who has any clue how to stack, both the driver and the skier will be grateful he is hooked to the pylon up front. If it's just some light kid still learning how to cross wakes, then it would probably be just fine to hook to something like that back there.