MasterCraft Diesel!?!?

Horton

• Baller
Biggest plus is dependability with longevity. My Jetta diesel just turned 333k miles. I have had zero problems outside of normal maintenance. I anticipate many more trouble free miles to go. That said, not many people keep a boat for its entire life cycle.

• Baller

Diesel=

1) Smelly fumes.

2) Additional cost option.

3) Heavier motor or at best no weight savings.

4) When refueling getting diesel on hands and distributing the oily substance all over everything you touch.

5) Not keeping the boat for 30 years so no payback on initial investment/cost.

=No Thanks!

• Baller

Smelly fumes only exist on an engine with zero emissions. Put on a catalytic converter and it is way better. Put on a DPF and it is virtually non-existent.

You can run off-road diesel - no road tax (20-30 cents a gallon). Plus use a glove when fueling - easy. I do it twice a week.

While the financial returns may not be there yet most everything else is.

Many people think of the diesel of today being the same as the diesel from 1999. That couldn't be further from the truth.

• Baller_
To @BrennanKMN point...I have a friend that modifies current deisel engines for performance and better fuel economy and after listening to him describe deisel of old vs new (direct injection being the main diff and how that changes the physical engine parts) is significant. Which is why the modern engines do not sound, operate or even smell like the old. I've been in his modified 2012 Mercedes GL 350 Diesel...big big SUV. Power and torque is freaking amazing.

• Baller
Makes a ton of sense in a big surf boat, pushing 8-9000 lbs down the lake at 8-9mph. Fuel economy, and raw pulling power just aren't the gas motors forte. Doubt you'll see it in a slalom boat until/unless they can figure out how to deal with ZO speed variations which diesel lag times likely can't keep up with today

• Baller

I have a 2017 6.7 Powerstroke, it is amazing, 940 torque and it is only turning 2000 at almost 80. It sounds like a gas engine and has virtually no smell.

I'm sure someone would complain about paying the extra 25 cents a gallon over regular!!!

I would think the problem with smaller diesel or gas engines with turbos would be higher rpm's and getting a smooth pull from ZO.