Why I ski in California

Horton

• Administrators

Completely unrelated because it is January (and also NOT for children)

https://youtu.be/3t0vjDnC7SM

• Baller

great thread! (N) heading to mccormicks next weekend..always afraid one is lurking underneath me. Afraid whenever i go down. LOL.

It may be freezing in Canada but its nice to jump into the lake and not be scared lol.

Having nightmares tonight. thanks @Horton !!

• Baller_

I'll take gators over the political climate of Cali any day of the week and twice on Sunday. My survival rate and nerves stand a far better chance against the gators.

PS gators in every lake here all the time and they target skiers (wakeboards even more). The exception being all the great ski schools (wakeboard schools have gators). So all who may be thinking...please feel free NOT to relocate to FL lakes.

• Baller
Down here the big salt water crocs grab a few people every year, most of the fun and games happen up in the northern areas but they are slowly moving south along with some tiny but lethal jellyfish that like the warmer water. To be honest the jellyfish cause more chaos with at least 15 - 20 people put in hospital this summer - you can't see them coming either because they are no bigger than your thumbnail... I lived and skid in Florida for a couple of years and the gators never got in the way, I have heard that the big imported pythons are getting out of hand however.

• Administrators

@ozski almost everything in Oz is freaking deadly poisonous. Snakes, spiders, jellyfish, and who knows what else.

• Baller
Oh yeah your right but its not always the things that make the news that do the damage. The 2 biggest killers in Australia right now are probably the fork and the couch... don't get me started. But anyway Great Whites make the news and the Bull sharks probably put the most bites on people out here because they get into the rivers and they don't see real well..

• Baller

So I'm driving up the lake today and on the radio -

A man has been killed by a 3.5-metre crocodile at the notorious Cahill's Crossing in the Northern Territory after trying to walk across the East Alligator River in actions police have described as "foolish".

• Baller
Heard about that guy being taken by the croc also, there's always idiots we must account for. For those in the US, I wonder if you've seen our show "Outback Wrangler", it will give you an appreciation for what a killing machine these creatures are... slightly more dangerous than gators I'd say, thus we don't ski with them.

• Administrators
30 years ago a brown snake chased me out of the water at Bedrock. You guys in Oz are crazy to ever leave the house.

• Baller

That's way scarier than an alligator.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/19/mountain-lion-cougar-panther-attack-kills-man/626259002/

I actually worried about that last evening on my bike ride at my lake. Since I was checking on a killer bee hive, I was probably at more risk from that. But those big paw prints around the lake...

Eric

• Baller_
@Stevie Boy, I believe gators are generally not interested in anything bigger than they are. A 12.5 foot gator didn’t have any such size problem this time. This is why the Florida wildlife department will remove and relocate gators larger than 5 feet from populated areas (they charge you for smaller ones). According to a story I read, that gator had been reported previously, but trapping and relocating had not been successful.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.