FLOE CRAFT Acquires Gekko

Horton

• Administrators

Coming on the heels of the Sugar Sand Jet Boat acquisition, FLOE International’s FLOE CRAFT division has also acquired Gekko Boats, a leading boat designed for the water sports industry.

Along with the acquisition, FLOE is excited to hire Mark Overbye, former CEO of Gekko, as President of the FLOE CRAFT division. Mark brings passion, energy and 30+ years of expertise in the water sports industry. Mark is a nationally ranked slalom competitor. He is the current VP of the USA Water-ski Foundation, has a thorough understanding of the market and will be a great asset to the FLOE CRAFT Team.

This acquisition supports FLOE’s strategic plan to become a major player in the marine industry. FLOE CRAFT currently produces the Afina 3950 which defines a new category in the high-end entertainment yacht segment. The GEKKO acquisition continues FLOE CRAFT’s expansion into growing market categories. In January, FLOE CRAFT will begin production in its newly expanded 120,000 square foot facility.

Wayne Floe, CEO of FLOE International, said “I’m extremely excited about the positive economic impact that this will have on our region and for our dealer network.”

Wayne also shares the same passion for water sports as Mark Overbye. Wayne believes Mark’s addition to FLOE CRAFT will produce creative synergy to develop products focused on a better user experience.

For further information contact Mark Overbye at marko@floecraft.com or 952-445-5445

• Baller
I have a well used GTO-22, which is the open bow version. Nice boat...insanely great support considering I bought it used. Hope they are around a long time, as is Mark. The wake is a little hard, but I am not sure I have the best prop either. Unbelievable tracking...can't wait to teach my wife to drive it next season.

• Baller
Hope the best for them...need some innovation the hull is aged and puts out a stiffer wake than the competition. Soften the wake a squeak, keep the tracking/lack of spray, go corner seats and ski racks like Txi and Prostar, bow cover since it's so low, sea deck. Would be a very competitive ride I would think.

• Baller

As others have mentioned, my thoughts are similar.

1) Decrease the dead rise at transom to soften the wakes.

2) Increase gunnel height. The hull has a fairly sharp entry and therefore not as much buoyancy. Not a bad thing just have to work with the height to stop it from burying the nose. Seen them at the lake and man are they low...especially when moving forward at idle.

Spray and tracking seem to be as good or better than others so leave that alone.

Would be cool for them to tweak things to get more attention than they already have.

I bought a new Gekko 10 years ago. I've skied behind everything but the newest MC and the Carbon Pro. And I've pulled a lot of guys that own Malibus, MC's and Nautique. Funny thing to hear some mention the hard wake. What wake??.... is the standard comment from virtually all the skiers I've pulled. Perhaps some people have it propped wrong? I've also been advised that a four blade prop softens what little wake there is at 15 and 22.

And without a doubt, I haven't been behind anything that comes close to a no dip, flat flat wake from 32 up. Plus nothing I have ever driven is as easy to drive or tracks straighter.

Cheap interior has always been the problem but then the boat costs a lot less than all the others. All in all a highly underrated ski boat primarily because so few tournament skiers have ever tried one since they are virtually never used in tournaments.

• Baller

Kinda cool news for another MN company. Floe makes incredible lifts. I have a pair of VSD5000s (actually the second one is coming this spring) but it is a great lift. They also have a reputation for building the best aluminum trailers.

I also had no idea they were in the boating industry. Picking up Gekko and Sugar Sand definitely gets them into the market with some better known names (at least around these parts). Considering that every 6th person in MN owns a boat, not a bad place to own a boat company.

• Baller
Skied one for 5 years and 750 hours. Tracks like it is on a rail -- nothing like it. However, the wake feels more like my old outboard. Low, but hard on the edges. Finally, not only does the boat risk water over the nose, if you don't settle it into the hole right, you take water over the back right over the top of the platform. Those would be my plus/minus comments.

• Baller
@eleeski - not unless they actually plan to have the boat certified. I have seen one person on a trick ski, once in all the years we have been skiing. Might be a thing for the relatively few who do tournaments but doesn't seem to be a thing in the world outside.

• Baller

Note that most of the characteristics that make a good trick wake make a good wakeboard wake. A boat with crossover appeal has real value. I certainly hope they plan to get the boat AWSA certified.

And I hope people get somewhat more open minded about waterskiing. Slalom course skiing is a ridiculously small subset of recreation. Smaller than wakeboarding.

Eric

• Baller

Wow my wife just told me this. Guess I need to log on more often.

Especially considering the factory is 3 whole miles away.

Hopefully Floe is able to address the Knocks against Gecko and people start buying them. I would be kinda surprised if he doesn't, the guy doesn't build and sell crap.

Not to mention in an economically repressed/depressed area this will be huge for the community if boats are moving.