Heater Core replacement?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Keith, my Heatercraft heater core was leaking last year (2002 MB Sports)

I pulled the core, took it to a local radiator repair shop and they repaired it with the understanding that it was for a raw water cooled boat.

Cheaper than new. So far, so good. If I recall, Heatercraft required that I buy a complete new system, (and I just wanted the HC), which was prohibitively expensive.

• Baller_
@"Keith Menard" : From a configuration aspect, that is most likely a Ford as your picture shows a pretty small length to it and what look like 5/8" straight hose tubes. As noted above, an automotive heater core will not last long as the raw water corrodes the solder fairly quick. If you are willing to get only a couple of years of service, the Ford heater cores are pretty cheap ~$35 each at a local auto parts store.

• Baller
Years ago I took mine to Napa and the guy there spent some time looking at dimensions in the computer and we found something the same size but I had to reroute the hoses a little differently. I also sent the 1st one back to get the non-aluminum version. I think it crossed to an old Ford Fairlane but will check if I can find a part number.

• Baller

Carquest Part number 398001. Costs about $25 at advance auto and fits right inside the existing heatercraft box. Use the coupon codes and you'll get it for even less.

Both barbs are 5/8" and I think the heatercore one has a 5/8" and a 1/2" barb if memory serves correctly. The smaller hose will slide on but might take you a few extra minutes. I've been running mine for 3-4 years without any issues and another guy has been running his for 2-3 years as well. We're both happy.

• Baller

I have had a HeaterCraft heater in my 97 Ski Nautique and in my 2004 196. About every 5 years the heater cores start leaking. I simply remove the entire heater box, take it to my local radiator shop and they procure and install the core for me. Takes about 30 minutes to remove and install. Cost $50. Guy at the radiator shop says they fail due to bouncing around while going through chop. I really don't think it has anything to do with the water as my lake is very clean and doesn't have high iron content.

This method also gets the heater back in service within 24 hours.