Malibu Open Waterski Championship Returns for 2016!

Horton

• Baller

@ski6jones thank you for mentioning that. Just read it and I couldn't agree more. Kudos to whoever had the stones to write that.

I'll stick my neck out a bit and hope that my head doesn't get chopped off here. My wife and I are mega-fans of this event. Our kids have grown up watching this event. We were the first comp boat and course to ever ski this lake back in 2009. Nobody has EVER asked us to help after that scouting run. Everyone came in and kinda ran with it. We saw it peak through 10, 11, 12. And yet this year, we kinda felt like "crap, has this thing kinda run its course or what?"

A friend and I were discussing this quite a bit during the event. We have a HUGE local tourney waterski contingent. Passionate ski folks that would love to volunteer and really help if we only knew how. My ski site sent two people to nationals. We are into this stuff. Forget single sponsor- let's have everyone sponsor this event and just blow the roof off of this thing. Each skier can ski their own brand. I don't care. Whatever it takes.

Bring the big dogs in. Bring locals in for a bragging rights tournament. There are not many "poor" course skiers out there. An amateur tourney would bring in entry fees and engagement. Let the jumpers jump their brains out. BRING IN THE TRICK SKIERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

I will build the website for this thing in 17 pro bono if somebody wants me to. There, I just volunteered. I heard a lot of people saying they had a hard time finding info about the event, let's fix that.

Anyway, open it up to the local scene to help. Arguably the most die-hard waterski fans in the country are right in this area. College kids too- Marquette, UW, Purdue, U of I, etc.

• Baller

I miss the night slalom finals and the glowing slalom course too.

And I'm right there with you Joel. My ski buddies and I would gladly lend a hand with this. About the most involved I've been was last year when I was driving TWB back and forth to their hotel.

Last year it was cloudy and cool in the Milwaukee area the day of the Malibu open. Instead of taking the opportunity to see the pros, I decided to take the family to the public lake we go to knowing that the weather conditions would provide the opportunity to get good water (I was right btw, it was glass). Admittedly, part of not heading to downtown for the event was questioning how good of a spectator sport skiing really is (and I had been to the event a couple of times before).

This year I went to the Malibu open with the kids and was pleasantly reminded how cool it is to see the pros in person. The kids really liked it too, though their attention span was pretty short.

I agree on some of the recent comments. I do think to really be successful there needs to be more to the event than fans just going to watch the pros ski. In my opinion it would be more successful if they could get more people interested in it being a social gathering of the skiing community in the area (including the good and the not-so-good, and the private-lake and public-lake skiers). It's Wisconsin, so lots of beer in the evening would probably really go over well.

I realize there is only much water time available at that site, but if there was time available for some of the locals to compete, or even just get some quick instruction from experts, I think it would add to the allure of making the drive.

Just an idea, but what if the day before (or after) there were portable slalom courses installed in multiple locations in the area and some of the pros were sent to those various locations to mingle with the local skiers and give some instruction? Try some new equipment maybe. It'd be sort of a callout to all the area skiers to get some time on the water that weekend and to come see the event. I'd think you'd want to also appeal to begginers (or potential beginners). I'd chip in with some volunteering and organizing if that was needed.

I'm not sure how many total waterskiers there are in the area (including show skiers), but it has to be a pretty big number that are within a 2 or 3 hour drive of the event. The key is to give them a reason to convene.

I do also agree that it makes sense to leverage other events in the downtown area and get the average Joe to take a look at what is going on when they walk by.

• Baller
Joel, I agree. Our family loves this tournament, and city. We travel a long way and look forward to it. Kids have a blast getting autographs, and getting excited about skiing again. I was chatting with a jump competitor who is in college, and Brian Detrick in the skiers tent, and he's committed to making this an "event", and as a marketing expert, he may have some great ideas. We were tossing ideas around, and partnering with another event or draw would help with numbers, and introduce to new audiences. Everyone we met throughout the weekend had not heard about the event at all. In fact the only advertising was a simple sign tied to a tree at the entrance of the park, and according to our driver, it was installed during the preliminary rounds. the website, and facebook page were both out of date etc... Let's put together great ideas, and work as fans to make this a better event. Joel, your commitment to a decent webpage would be a amazing start! much appreciated by our family.

• Baller

Few ideas.

1. Friday qualifying should start at noon. Give folks a chance to knock off a half day early and catch the early rounds.

2. Get on the summer festival schedule. Milwaukee is the city of festivals in the summer. Get the Malibu Open Waterski Championships festival on the calendars they hand out and advertise online.

3. Promote via local news and leverage social media amplification better. Offer to let local news cameras to ride along on Thursday practices for their evening news casts.

4. More food vendors.

5. Bring back night finals. Have after party and awards on-site if the city will allow. Most pro skiers I've met enjoy drinking beers with non-pro skiers.

6. Flaming hoop at the top of the jump.

• Baller

This may come across as very abrupt and its probably meant to be a little,

It's VERY easy to find out who is running the Malibu Open, Tommy, Chad and Jerry ( I'm sure Tony was in this group as well this year???) i'm sure would much prefer an email, phone call or facebook message NOW with the offers of support/help for next years Malibu Open. There is a fantastic group of people involved with running the event from Mike who sets up the courses, who would welcome any help, Dennis from Malibu is awesome to have a chat to and the Guy (Who's name escapes me atm) Who is sooo passionate about getting the ramp absolutely perfect!!!

Hell if I can manage a week to help set up last years (I live in another Country) anyone can find some time to give a day to help out in whatever way they can!!

• Baller

First of all thanks for all of the positive comments and suggestions. Most of these are great ideas you guys are right we can do a hell of a lot more with this event. All it takes is money. Realize that Tommy Jerry and myself don't live in Mikwaukee This tournament pays 64000 in prize money for slalom and jump. The use of the lake cost money. Tents bathrooms bleachers webcast and everything that goes along with this event cost money. Add tricks I'd love to. Somebody come up with another $30000

This is the first year I have been responsible for putting on the event It's quite the task. Had some great local help. Tony Mike and Steve wete life savers. My email is cscott1968@hotmail.com. I am happy to take the help. All ideas cost money. There has to be local sponsors to have this event blow up.

Media coverage we usually get was occupied with some unrest in parts of Milwaukee. Which by the way. You would have never known it was going on.

This is an unreal venue. We need to blow it up. I agree. Malibu is committed for 2017

You can contact me if you truly want to be involved. If you have local contacts I will have sponsorship packages available. It's all you can do to put the event on when everyone is tapping the same industry sponsors. These guys have been great. But it will take outside money to make this bigger and better. I'm open to help and suggestions

• Baller
Was cool to see Optima as a sponsor this year. That's a local company. I'll reach out to some folks I know at a few other local big companies. The lake is in the shadow of Northwestern Mutual's towers (that big new building going up to the south is their new tower). Would think they'd be interested in marketing to folks with money to spend on expensive sports like water skiing.