TriStar 220

Ski_Dad

• Baller

80's mastercrafts are going to be rough rides. The 190/220 will be a bit drier in rough water than a prostar 190 would be - however the "V" portion of the hull is pretty near the bow - and the stern section of these hulls is very flat - so once on plane you will be pounded pretty hard as the waves will break onto the flat bottom.

Is there a reason you've settled on the Tristar? They aren't hugely popular and resale values on them are pretty flat.

• Baller

just looking for something affordable with better slalom wake. Need an open bow for kids as we always have 5 riders, sometimes more. Open bows seem to be hard to find in that era.

Personally i love outboard boats like the Dyna-Ski - but never see any for sale.

• Baller_
Buyer beware on old Tristar stuff. Not the best built boat . It was a budget idea boat and after nearly 30 years these boats have electrical issues , hull to deck issues and had a lot of wood everywhere. Want a bigger open bow look at the older early 90s sport Nautiques (93-96) and the 205 mastercraft far better bang for the buck. And skiable wakes.

Just like @Jordan said! I have a 1993 and have yet to ski a boat with a better wake! Try to stay away from a TriStar, just for resale alone. And just so you know, any boat that provides a good slalom wake will ride like crap in chop!

• Baller
Don't rule out a Moomba Outback. Lots of room with the open bow to hang out on the lake. Many of them have a tower but you can still find some without. Mine doesn't have the tower and the slalom wake is great.

• Baller

thanks guys for all the input - I'll scrap the idea looking at a tristar :)

I do like the look of the 205's and I'll keep my eye out for one in that era. I also the newer 214's (but obviously out of my price range)

i skied behind a 1st gen X2 the other day - wow that wake was hard and huge - made me really re-appreciate the wake behind my boat. I know that's a wakeboard boat and it would have been super for wakeboard as it was really rampy.

We had a 1993 Sport Nautique, it was great for open water. Rode much better than the MC 205 for that same era. It also skied pretty good, I think they had a sweet spot on the wake at 15' off and 30-32mph, it was better than a friend's 1992 SN196, faster and shorter were about the same as the 196. We ended up putting a tower on it, with a little extra weight it was also great for wakeboarding.

• Baller

thoughts on these boats ? I have not seen them in person.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/5718027395.html

(love this boats layout and new trailer)

(seems to have good freeboard - not sure how they ride in chop)

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/5741061072.html

(i hear this is a Sanger DLX mold and looks like a super deal ?)

(seems to have the advantage of a v hull for ride quality)

(concerned about low freeboard - would that be an issue of public lakes)

• Baller
The Hydrodyne is a good boat. They were solid. Skied one at a demo around '94. Price looks high to me for this one. I really liked the Cheyennes. Much improved around '93 '94. Skied one at Berkeley a few times. Wakes were excellent. Price looks good. @Edbrazil did a WSM review of one or two back in the 90's. Check for soft wood very closely in these boats - if maintained well and kept dry.

• Baller

Got a few pulls behind the Prostar 205 on Saturday "Barefoot Saturday :)" It was a nice wake to cross seemed really soft at 30 mph / 15 off. The owner recently switched to a Acme 541 prop and the other guys were saying there was a bump at 15 and 22 off that wasn't there before. It was good for me b/c of what I'm used to.

I felt like the 205 rode really rough in chop and rollers - my wife wouldn't go for that I don't think. Later in the day i was in a 2004 Malibu Reponse LXI - that one seemed to ride much smoother to me - i didnt' ski it b/c my ski was in the other boat but my friend did and it seemed even better wake wise. He was also going 30

• Baller
2004 LXI has a great wake down into the mid/high 20MPH range. The disadvantage of the LXI over a bigger boat is that on open water it can be a full time job keeping water out of the boat. I don't know that I would say that they ride particularly smoothly in chop but ski boat hulls don't. Even my crossover v-drive is a kidney pounder compared to my old runabout.

• Baller

Basically if you want smoother riding larger ski boats go newer.

The 205 is basically only popular because you're buying a 90's cost level ski boat with an open bow - its not particularly better than things more recent, but in that vintage you don't have a ton of options.

• Baller
I agree with @ALPJr ; just slow down when you get in some rough water. My wife can't stand a rough ride, so there are some times that I'm sitting there cruising the lake at 10 mph in my SNOB, but if I just slow down to those speeds, then the ride is fine. Yeah, it might take me a little longer to get to the end of the lake where the wind is coming from, but I care a lot more about how the boat acts once I get to that side of the lake than I do about getting there 5 minutes faster and having a crappy wake once I get there.

• Baller

My friend has a 2003 Sunsetter LXi.

Slalom wake almost the same as my 2001 Response(has the same wetted surface).

Would say it is the best do all boat out there, especially if a good slalom boat is a must on the list.

• Baller
Judging by your original statement, I would say you got the ideal boat for your needs. We all would have thought it to be out of your price range as you were originally looking at a tristar, but since it was apparently in your price range, you couldn't possibly do any better for what you wanted.