2001 MALIBU RESPONSE THROTTLE FRICTION ADJUSTMENT

Dacon62

• Baller

Have a 2001 Malibu Response with a Morse Controls MV3 throttle that has too much friction/resistance.

Does this control have an adjustment for that?

My friends 2000 Sanger has the same control but it does not have enough friction and will spring back to idle if you don't keep your hand on it.

Have scoured the internet with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

• Baller

Well the fix for your friends issue is pretty simple. Have him order this from skidim and just clamp it on the cable just under the dash and tighten slowly until the friction is enough to hold the throttle from moving.

http://www.skidim.com/CABLE-BRAKE-THROTTLE/productinfo/MOR044386/

Worked like a charm on a 93 MC 205 that I used to have.

Not sure about too much throttle friction on your boat though. Maybe you need a need throttle cable. If it's similar to a steering cable replacement it isn't very difficult.

• Baller

If yours is tough, you need new cables. If your cables are original, you are WAY over due for new cables. I can't speak for certain on the MV3 but I've been through numerous MV1&2's. There is a preload spring on the units that help keep pressure on it and gives that positive click when bumped into idle. If the preload is loose it'll feel like a sloppy wet noodle.

There shouldn't be any friction on these units yet they shouldn't bounce back to neutral when you take your hand off lever.