Not sure where to say hello - so hello!

chrislandy

• Baller

Hi, just joined up to the forum so I thought I'd better introduce myself!

I found this site though Team Talk

Bit of background:

I'm from the UK and getting back into traditional skiing now after 20+ years boarding, back to my roots so to say. My kids are just old enough to start skiing now so, as with my migration back to snow skiing from boarding, I'm breaking out the old swerve stick again to see if I can still do it! used to be able to run the course at 36 0off but never managed a full run on shortenings

Currently got a '96 205 MC (had it for 15odd years), before that the family had an 88/89 MC Procomp 190 (UK model - one of the last to be built in the UK) and prior to that an 86 MC skier

I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions as I try to trick again (used to be able to do the basics on mono, wake jumps, 180's, surface 360's, backward riding etc...) but I was 18 then and 37 now!

Chris

• Gold Member
Yeah, one good thing about 37 is that now you ski at 34 mph, and I think you'll find that once you recover your old form you'll be about halfway down -28. Then you'll probably need to learn some new stuff! Some dynamics change in significant (but fun!) ways at -28.

• Baller

Thanks for the welcome, 34 sounds better!

I've been looking at new ski's, not sure on the tech these days or even the good/bad brands - my current ski is a now very old Kidder RLComp with double boot so should be good enough to get me hooked again but I'm sure a new stick & boots would be enlightening too

• Baller
I basically took off from skiing from the age of about 22 or 23 to 37 or so. Running the course came back pretty quickly. Getting my kids in to it was one of the best things we did and had lots of great quality time with the family.

• Baller

Needs must with the snowboarding unfortunately - spinal surgery a few years ago so loads of rehab and core work (hence also why I'm reducing my wakeboarding) - went snow skiing for the first time in 20yrs this season - again teaching the kids, it came back pretty quickly and within a day I was carving my way down easier reds. Plus it was so much better not spending most of the day on my derriere.

The kids loved it, so having learnt traditional skiing first - started age 6 - I'm aiming to get them skiing first and hold off on the boarding for as long as I can get away with!

• Baller

@chrislandy I taught my kids to ski first then put them on a wakeboard after they could slalom. My kids both prefer to ski to wakeboard still.

I did something similar with snow skiing. My kids learned to snow ski at 4 and 5 then when my son was maybe 7 at his request I taught him to snowboard. He is primarily a skier these days but is a pretty decent snowboarder. Up here in New England the conditions are frequently icy and skiing is much more fun in those conditions.

• Baller

Definitely keep up the core work after the spinal surgery, I'm a young guy with no back problems and I do as much core work as I can.

In the ski department I would recommend a radar Strada, I don't think I've ever met someone who rode that ski and didn't like it.