wiley trick wrap vs. slalom wrap

asarendt

Hi,

I am what you might call an intermediate trick skier - started about 2 years ago, competed in collegiate tournaments. I can consistently put up about 660-740 pts in a tournament, sometimes more.

My question is about the wileys trick wrap vs the slalom wrap. I've always used the trick wrap but lately its been somewhat frustrating to only be able to go about 10 minutes before my foot starts cramping. I don't really want to spend the money on a hardshell setup just yet, so I was looking into putting on a slalom wrap instead. Are their major cons to doing this? Is it more of a preference thing?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

There are no major concerns swapping out the trick wrap for a slalom set up. You may lose a bit of ankle support/forward pressure, but it may solve the cramping. Like you said it is personal preference. If you hate it you can switch back pretty easily.

I used to make bindings at Wiley's. The trick wraps were a pain, but if it has been used before its pretty easy to get back on if the slalom wraps don't work for you.

If you need slalom wraps call Wiley's at 206-762-1300

Thanks for the advice Mike. I was worried about losing too much ankle support, but it doesn't seem like I'd be losing that much.

I've also read forums about people placing water bottles and other objects in their trick wraps for a few weeks at a time to 'break them in' so to speak - Although this seemed like it may not be the best option.

Don't know if this will help or apply but I used wiley's large and I am just at the boarder of large and medium. I would get cramping sometimes also. I changed skies and decided to try mediums wiley's rather then the large. I have not had a cramp since. For the first few runs I thought I may have made a mistake but maybe three sets and I have not had a dough since. Love the tighter bindings.

Wiley's has a wrap in between the Slalom wrap and the Trick wrap for the front boot called the "Pro Build," which is, IIRC, the equivalent of the jump boot. I have used it as my front slalom boot for years and just recently went back to it after a few years on Strada boots. Stiff, but you can go longer than 10 minutes.

• Baller

Wileys makes the best rubber bindings. Rubber bindings give excellent support. But rubber bindings cramp your feet if they are tight enough to perform well.

For tricks, you need to be taking long sets to learn. A sloppy rubber boot might give you the time on the water but you will suffer from the lack of support. Hardshells give reasonable comfort and great performance. Get a hardshell!

If you really don't want the cost and maintenance of a hardshell, consider a lace up boot. The Radar Vector gives good support and is quite comfortable. Personally, I don't like to release so I can run the Vector laces tight. I also add some foam shims over the heel to customize it for my skinny ankles.

Wileys are also very heavy. This matters in tricks.

There are reasons most trickers aren't on rubber boots. Abandon the Wileys on your trick ski to help your learning.

Eric

• Baller

Personally, I like a fairly soft hardshell. But I pin the cuff with a bit of forward lean to stiffen stock shells. I also add a foam pad above the heel which adds a little more stiffness.

If yours feels too soft and you can't pin the cuff, try taking the plastic out of the tongue of a snow ski boot liner. Clip that inside the shell and outside the liner. It might take a few tries to get the feel you like.

Another possibility is to add some thin plastic inside the heel of the shell. This can stabilize things a lot. It might be enough just placed there or you can pin it.

You might have to experiment with the hardshell, but it's worth it.

Eric