Centurion Eclipse DD handling

stevezie

• Baller
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help with out with a 2001 centurion eclipse. It has some very weird handling characteristics and I'm wondering if they can be corrected. It's tracks ok with no input to the wheel but is very twitchy with any adjustments to your line. Not very course friendly. Can this be improved? Also, it turns very odd. The initial turn in is normal enough as the inside slightly dips into the turn but after a moment it kicks out to ride completely flat. It's not really a problem but very odd and annoying. There is no added weight in the boat for balancing or any of other adjustments. It's as it came from the factory. Any tips or previous experience you guys are willing to share on how to set this boat up would be much appreciated.

• Baller_
I don't have any experience with that boat, although your comments potentially imply something might be amiss. I would weigh the boat to see if there is some water saturation somewhere, it kind of sounds like there is a front to rear weight imbalance from your comments. It also sounds like there is weight moving side to side and other than water not sure what that could be. One item that may help, but not be the root cause would be to add some rudder torque (after you find the culprit).

• Baller

I have a 2000 Eclipse and am familiar with what you are describing. I did the following adjustments and wound up with a decent handling course machine with a really nice wake.

1. Grind the rudder as mentioned above

2. Put about 25-40 lbs of weight in the front under the bow seat

3. Switch to a 4 blade ACME prop. (Can't recall the exact model but can check. I had the 330 hp Scorpion)

4. The turn issue is just a characteristic of that hull (a modified and enlarged Falcon-Lapoint) I only experienced it in very tight high speed right hand turns. It's very predictable. It can be avoided if you turn ever so slightly left before the hard right but we all got accustomed to it. Well except for @DaveD :wink:

• Baller
I had a Falcon prior to the Eclipse as well. Only the Eclipse experienced the "chine drop" in tight turns. They expanded both length and width of the Falcon by 6-7" to create the Eclipse---- it did soften the wakes and made for a roomier boat.