If you are over 40 why not use a PowerVest ?

Horton

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

So I am really really injured. I have been in denial for about 2 months. My left elbow has some real issues. I will see the ortho next week and hopefully find out what the deal is. I do know that it is not the tendonitis that is so common is skiing.

Today I tried to shield my injury with a PowerVest. The good news is I was reminded how great the PowerVest is. The bad news I fell at 35 and aggravated my injury. If I have to use a PowerVest going forward I can not think of a reason why not. The darn thing just works.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
My father in-law (74) just started using a power vest before and now after shoulder replacement surgery. Seems to be a good way to extend his ski life. Can't imagine using one just because I am 50, but good to know there is an option if I get old ?

• Baller
Hey Horton. Sorry to hear about new injury! Reviewed this thread for first time in few years. I still use the power vest pretty much daily and still huge fan. Little to add to my earlier posts in this thread from years ago. The vest bypasses the elbow so effectively that I am not surprised to hear that it is allowing you to ski with elbow injury. Seeing ortho is good idea (I'm an orthopod) if symptoms persistent. Straps that slide with no friction are essential (if nothing else - squirt a couple drops of soap down strap sleeves before use) and vest modifications can help with that. Strong carabiner clip for connection to one glove D ring makes for big improvement re ease of use. For anyone trying vest for first time: again - please do not "go for it" with straps that are too short! Takes a few sets to adjust - but I see no downside to anything other than ego. The folks at Goode have been great in supporting the vest. It is kinda expensive, but compared with other waterskiing expenses and given that it can protect your bod, allow much more ski time per set - and allow many to continue skiing when without if we couldn't - I think it remains a steal. I have lots of experience with the vest - so anyone welcome to email me if I can help with a question.

• Baller

@Horton Sounds like the damage is done, stop skiing and go see a GOOD ortho surgeon. It will hurt like hell for 4 to 5 days after surgery. As soon as your doctor starts therapy do it. I did all of mine at home with a hand out copy. Start with baby steps it will hurt big time but at the end of six weeks you will have full mobility. From here on you do not want to over load your arm with weights. Now the bad new's, your arm will atrophy, movement good, strength training bad. Now the really bad new's, you won't be skiing for six months.

I was 53 when I had the left arm and shoulder done and 59 for the right. Good Luck.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
Here is update regarding Powervest from long time user. Little to add to fairly extensive comments earlier in this thread EXCEPT: New strong recommendation for strapping. Other than more weight than standard ski vest - the only downside to vest from my long perspective is modest but definite friction of the "standard" strap when reaching. I have tried many variations of strap material, but difficult to find one that is strong yet with minimal friction on passing through the vest material and gizmo that guides the strap relative to the back plate. Previously I mentioned using small I - bolts rather than the stock D - ring on a strap (pics earlier in this thread), but still annoying low grade friction when reaching. Recently I tried nautical 3/16 in line called amsteel https://dutchwaregear.com/product/3-16-amsteel-blue/ .... super strong, no stretch, and most importantly -- glides through the vest on reaching with no detectable resistance. Bowline tie on one glove and bowline to snap shackle / glove on other side. If you use a PowerVest - I strongly suggest you give this a try.

• Baller
On 9/5/2020 at 10:50 AM, sailworks said:

Hey Horton. Sorry to hear about new injury! Reviewed this thread for first time in few years. I still use the power vest pretty much daily and still huge fan. Little to add to my earlier posts in this thread from years ago. The vest bypasses the elbow so effectively that I am not surprised to hear that it is allowing you to ski with elbow injury. Seeing ortho is good idea (I'm an orthopod) if symptoms persistent. Straps that slide with no friction are essential (if nothing else - squirt a couple drops of soap down strap sleeves before use) and vest modifications can help with that. Strong carabiner clip for connection to one glove D ring makes for big improvement re ease of use. For anyone trying vest for first time: again - please do not "go for it" with straps that are too short! Takes a few sets to adjust - but I see no downside to anything other than ego. The folks at Goode have been great in supporting the vest. It is kinda expensive, but compared with other waterskiing expenses and given that it can protect your bod, allow much more ski time per set - and allow many to continue skiing when without if we couldn't - I think it remains a steal. I have lots of experience with the vest - so anyone welcome to email me if I can help with a question.

• Baller

Hi, Sailworks, I was looking for your modifications to the power vest but the link didn’t work. Any chance you could email that to me? My email is chiropete@comcast.net. Appreciate it if you can, very helpful.

• Baller

@Horton sry hear about your injury, it sounds really unpleasant, skiing with a nasty injury doesn't end well, your brain is going to override and take control, you will end up skiing defensively, your brain will only let you ski either side of the injury, fact.

Result is you end up in poor position or the wrong place at some point.

A lot of skiers have had injuries they think have ended their skiing days, but still ski today.

Example ; Aiden Willers

Give yourself time to heal, plenty of 28 off, a line length you are comfortable with. Not only physical but let your body and mind regain confidence,to allow yourself to ski freely.

Takes time, do not rush, you have nothing to prove here.

I  wish you a full and successful rehab.

I  have found in the past,unless it is unavoidable, various supports or aids become more of  a hinderance, working on the principle of use it or lose it

Edited by Stevie Boy