If you are over 40 why not use a PowerVest ?

Horton

• Baller

Hello Horton etal, not a poster, but enjoy following all the interesting threads!

I'm senior orthopedic doc, avid skier, and have been using PV for 4 years, wouldn't ski without it. Once you know how to use it (and make some simple modifications - it does not have to compromise reach, its does not have to make ups problematic, you don't have to suffer from lean lock, and it will for sure protect your biceps, elbow epicondylitis, shoulders, and low back. It puts power where it belongs (hips). With certain modifications learned over 4 years - it won't fall apart, and it is possible to get back in the boat (quick disconnect mod). It is for sure heavier than option, takes some getting accustomed to, but you can ski MUCH longer sets - (and I love to ski:), and you will have to work harder to wreck your body.

As a long time windsurfer - PV seems a lot like windsurfing harness: you can windsurf without a harness, but who would want too - or ever choose to?

Happy to elaborate - can contact me via email prn

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

FWIW, 54 yrs old and I've had a couple shoulder surgeries, the most recent one about 5 yrs ago that included a bicep tendon re-attach. The recovery takes time, but, once recovered, it doesn't bother me any for water skiing. More than anything, I worry about taking another OTF snow-skiing fall on it.

Specific to the OP's question, until now, I was not aware of the Powervest, but probably wouldn't bother at this point for $600. If one happened to be on the boat, it would be interesting to try a few pulls with it though.

Horton also having dealt with serious back injury the powervest does allow you to keep skiing while attempting to overcome injury if you have a bad back there is very little you can do to change that all the hard work in the world wont replace a bad disc or two if you are going to use it you will want to mold the back and remove the dowell's from the gloves. I actually have regular gloves that attach to the vest which dave can do as well so you can still maintain grip strength

• Baller
Being off for a long time sucks. Spent last season rehabbing an ACL reconstruction. I am 51 and enjoy living life. Two personal passions waterski and motocross. I too have a power vest, and used it after a back injury. (Have done a few nasty OTF's getting my hands up when I shouldn't) I will never achieve the level of skiing that you have achieved nor the level that many on this forum claim to achieve. After the better part of a year off I am going to protect my temple in an attempt to protect my lifestyle. It's my temple. I will protect it how I see fit. Do what you believe you need to do to achieve your goals. You have nothing to prove to anyone, only yourself. Godspeed

• Baller

Regarding the dowels in the gloves, I use rubber bands to keep the straps attached to my palm. This allows an easy release of the grip when you want to let go. Orings are a cheap easy rubber band. I've used electrical tape in a pinch.

If you don't use clinchers, there is a learning curve to get used to the gloves. Then there is the learning curve to use the vest. Then you have to adapt to the new limits of your body. Your skills will improve even if your buoy count doesn't.

Powervests rock!

Eric

• Baller
I've had a torn rotator cuff for 1.5 years now, and I tweaked my back putting my daughter's trampoline together last July and it hasn't gotten any better despite countless hours of rehab, stretching, and massage. After witnessing three friends benefit from a powervest while recovering from various surgeries, I'm beginning to view $600 as a pittance.

• Baller
I live down the street from Goode and my coworker used to work their and he gets all the deals and steals still. I plan on getting one for a song this summer. I already gave him my dimensions :) At 56 I need all the help I can get to lay down some spray here at this altitude!

• Members

With the injury you have it would be best if you tried the pro version.

This has the waistbelt cut off and is much more normal feeling.

I have been a power vest user since about two years after ZO came out

due to a lower back issue.Whatever comedy relief the PV provides is a plus.

• Baller
@waterskicorey The doc said about 5 months before I could load it hard. Surgery was early June, which put me into November. My ski season was already gone and not much appetite for skiing in St. Louis in November to test things out, so I am trying to get in shape for an early spring. I could have skied today, actually had the new boat in the water pulling my daughter and wife, but the 42 degree water didn't seem like a good place to start. (It was frozen a couple days ago). How did you tear yours?

• Baller
I think it was hanging by a thread from a bunch of digging and backfilling trenches after running some additional drains down the hill from the house. When it actually popped loose I was being a wally hanging on a barefoot boom. (yeah I know, age denial). I had taken probably 20 sets last spring on jumpers running slow speed passes trying to get in shape to get the slalom out. I did it on the day before I was going to slalom, the ski never got wet this year.

• Baller
@horton - Ha, I didn't mean give me an unboxing video right now, I meant are you going to do one at some point? Impatient no, multi-tasking, probably. Please include Buford Danger the rising star of the greater Bako area, as she adds depth and technical aptitude to whatever you are talking about

• Baller
@Horton I would be interested to see what it takes to get it adjusted properly. I am toying with getting one if I can't get my back to a point where I feel comfortable on the ski and setup and getting used to it are part of my concerns. $600 is a lot to spend if it doesn't wind up helping me.

• Baller

Hello Horton etal

As an orthopedic doc that fixes biceps for a living, I believe if your surgeon has given you a green light you should be fine after 6 months. Having said that, I am big fan of power vest! It will for sure protect elbow, epicondylitis, hands, shoulders, and back and allow a lot more skiing. There are several modifications that I have found that make the vest much more user friendly and would be happy to share if interested. One thing I would say for sure regarding set up: adjust straps so that elbows are fully extended or just short of completely extended in full lean position. Going out first time with straps short is prescription for powered up OTF. And take as much time as you need to adjust (i.e. some free skiing) Going right out and trying for PB is likely to be very unrewarding and quite "unpleasant".

One of the biggest vest complaints is difficulty with strap sliding with reaching and hooking up. I have used a modification of existing "panel sliding hardware" that has helped a lot.. Again, can detail if interested.

• Baller
Hey @sailworks I would like to see the modifications that you have done to your powervest. Also you you done any triceps surgery's? I had mine repaired a week and a half ago, any info would be great. I have a powervest that I have also modified and have used it when recovering from injuries, I think it is great for getting you back on the water a little sooner, thanks.

• Baller

Hey waterskicorey. I can relate a few of the vest modifications that I have found useful - once I figure out how to post pics:(

Re triceps injury: Biceps of course much more common waterski injury and more common in general. I have repaired biceps in water-skiers and they have been able to return to ski without restriction after 6 months. Generally takes better part of 6 months for any tendon to heal securely enough to bone to take full loads. Only your surgeon knows exactly how injury tissues and repair security presented at time of surgery, so have to recommend you discuss with him/her (as I'm sure you have)

• Baller
Matt and John - I would not video first rides with vest. I have had friends try my vest. Its always awkward until you dial in the nuances, and that takes time and adjustment. Strap that thing on with short strap lines and "go for it" is prescription for trouble (OTF)!

• Baller
@jipster43 curious about your torn rotator cuff as I recently tore mine. Awaiting MRI results to see how serious. Did you require surgery? How long before you were back on the water? Really bummed weekend temps climbing into the eighties. Had a couple of rides so far but afraid season is done.

• Baller

Hey @Steveo I've torn both rotator cuffs. The first one was the result of a violent OTF out of 4 ball while my left clincher stayed connected to the handle. Remarkably it was skiable a month later. My right rotator cuff slowly wore out and has been a 1 1/2 year rehab process as it slowly gets better. However I haven't missed a day of snow or waterskiing due to this particular tear. Neither have required surgery.

Good luck with your recovery and find yourself a superior physical therapist! They are not all created equal and I owe mine at least two seasons that I would have otherwise missed.

• Baller
Mentioned before that I would leave comment regarding my 4 years experience with setting up power vest. I posted a few comments - but under Horton's recent new: "Goode Powervest first ride" thread -- for anyone that might be following this thread and interested. Maybe Horton could copy it here for continuity in this thread?

• Baller

Hello all. As PV user (and advocate) for several years - I have a few "for whatever its worth" comments about some things that I have learned the hard way and might make life easier for anyone just exploring PV:

1. Molding the back plate makes for a much more comfortable and supportive, (and stylish) fit. Oven at 250, monitor closely, gets very soft very quickly (walk away and you'll wish you hadn't) ... put back in vest and wrap with 6 inch ace til cools.

2. I found deep water ups a real problem at first - Until focused on a couple things - up accompanied by a lot of load on straps, body, boat, and infact kept breaking the back plate. (If that happens, finally found a way to fix and reinforce the plate). Thing that made ups easy for me with PV: make sure straps are long enough to get hands and handle in front of knees as soon as line loads from the boat, use a very firm "up" / acceleration from the boat, and most important - let rear foot heel immediately collapse (fully flexed knee) against rear foot buttock; then ski planes off immediately and all problems and high drag loads go away:)

3. Drag of strap through vest apparatus is the biggest "operational downside" to the vest. This can be greatly diminished by replacing the gizmo that comes with the vest with two small eye bolts with straps through the eyes on the back of the plate, and nut and bolt cut short and padded on the inside. It's also possible to find slipperier straps at hardware store. Also helps to put some packing tape on the margin/edge of the back plate along the axis of the straps to decrease sliding friction and reduce abrasive wear on straps.

4. Strap length: Straps that are too short are dangerous. This has worked for me: with arms at side, extend the wrist and adjust straps til this position just engages tension in the straps - then small adjustments from there. Another check: adjust such that when in "full lean", (try on dry land) straps are tensioned with elbows just a touch shy of full extension - this will allow full stack and really unload unhappy upper extremity joints, and pass load thru the plate to hips.

5. Consider a snap shackle on non dominant end of strap - then can "clip in" to the glove D ring at last moment and unclip at end of set or after crash - much easier in and out of boat, swimming, looking less geeky. The D ring on the glove will rotate 90 degrees - no downside there. By keeping the opening on the snap shackle towards wrist/ forearm - I can't see any way for the rope, handle, or anything else getting tangled in a crash. I have used this for three years .. no issues.

6. With clincher gloves, I do think there is some risk of little finger hanging at junction of handle and rope with conventional handle. I have used radius handle and no problem. Consider sewing or taping glove tip of little finger to the ring finger. Absolutely no downside and will protect little finger. I have not tried without the dowels in the glove, but it seems to me that discarding dowels would remove a lot of the "mechanical advantage" of the whole set up. (But maybe I will try it - as others recommend)

6. I never use the arm bands. Individual user has to decide if that's safe. Never had any incident that even considered "close call". I do ski with shorty. The metal fastener that secures the straps at desired lengths can scratch on wet suit on ups - duck tape prevents.

7. I don't think PV will make anyone ski better, but just a lot longer, while protecting a lot of the things that get wacked as we ski.

8. I have some pics, but still can't quite figure how to post:)

9. Sorry long post. I hope some part of this helps someone exploring PV.

• Baller_
@thager, if you sewed the straps, then you might not be able to sell it later, unless the buyer needed the exact same setting. Also, of less importance, nobody else would be able to try it, unless they needed the exact same setting.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.