If you are over 40 why not use a PowerVest ?

Horton

• Administrators

I am personally recovering from a bicep tendon rupture and have not skied since last May. I am sure my arm is good as new but I am pretty anxious about getting hurt again. I know a lot of Ballers have had the same injury as well as any number of other arm, back or shoulder injuries.

So the question is - why don't more of us use a PowerVest? I am told I can expect to ski a lot more passes per ride and that I will put a lot less stress on my body. I can see the young guys thinking this is silly but I am not 20 any more.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

I just tore a pectoral tendon and will be out for a while but as a 22 year old you will not find me on a power vest post recovery. I do however understand why those who consider themselves to be "chronologically gifted" may try one after injury or to attempt to prevent injury.

However they will be mocked... Likely by me

• Baller
Is over 40 old? Crap, I turn 46 tomorrow but I still ski circles around my 25, 19 and 17 year olds on snow or water. I guess my experience with braces and snow skiing is if you need them wear them, but if you can get back to normal shape and not need them then it is preferable.

• Baller

I tried a power vest a few years ago. Nearly killed myself. I know @"Mateo Vargas" hates them but if they allow you to ski, great.

Talk to someone who has used one before you try it. Save yourself some crazy crashes.

• Baller

The Powervest trades mobility for load carrying. My buoy count went down but I was able to keep skiing after injuries. I wonder if I will ever get to a point where I don't need it. Arms, shoulders and back all prefer the vest.

Don't worry about getting mocked unless you wear socks and sandals.

Eric

• Members
@Horton, I Got A Powervest After My Shoulder Surgery.It Sortta Helps With The Aprehension After AN Injury, Def Takees A Lot Of The Load Off, But Also Takes Some Experimenting With Arm Strap Length. You WON'T Like Skiing With It But It Will Help NurseYour Confidence Back. If You get One Def Heat Mold The Rigid Back Panel And Remove Dowels From Gloves. I Was Able To Ski O.k. With Mine, But Stopped Using After My Strength, Form, And Confidence Came Back. I Say Go For it.

• Administrators

@acmx thanks for the feedback.

I really don't expect it to be as dramatic as you describe. Or more to the point I hope it's not as dramatic as you describe. I will probably remove the dowels. I used that style glove 20 years ago when I jumped and I always take the dowels out and then was very comfortable in them.

I guess we'll see what happens

Please adjust the capitalization settings on your phone ( I'm assuming you don't actually type like that)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Won't consider it unless it is the only way I can ski. I have instead adjusted my winter training routine to specifically work on things (both strength and flexibility) that will help me avoid injury. In addition, at 52 years old I've gotten much better at letting go of the handle instead of hurting myself!

• Baller
I can't personally endorse something i have never personally used, but after years of observation, It lets the mere dad bod mortal hold onto mucho chit, not normally possible with standard gloves and dad bod arms. Shouldn't be allowed in Class R, L or regional national worlds competition! But if your old ass needs it to keep skiing, whatever!

• Baller

4ct7yo98szbr.jpg

I bought one a few years ago, crazy me, tried to ski down the rope to my best pass. Definitely take the dowels out. I went out the front at 35 going faster than I have ever been on a ski after the line lock. If I had hit the 2nd wake going that speed I may have never skied again. My wife said I ended up about 10 feet in the air and did two complete rotations before I hit (almost to the next buoy by that point). Wish I had a video! Scared me so bad I never used it again until last year. It was completely my fault thinking I could ski in pb territory without figuring out how to use it. I am also getting age challenged. Last year I pulled the triceps off my elbow very early in the season, which ended with surgery in May. Surgery fixed it and I should have been ready to ski in November, way too cold to not "let it heal longer". I did actually use the Power Vest with the torn triceps, even the day before the surgery. I was skiing on Jumpers, just trying to feel like I was skiing. With the straps shortened up putting zero pull on my elbow I even managed to run a few 24mph passes on my jumpers without the benefit of triceps. My current plan is to get back in shape by taking 20 to 25 sets on my jumpers figuring out how to ski with the Power Vest, just repeating passes at 24-26. My hope is that when I then transition back to my slalom ski, the vest will be a non-issue and I can get in shape to ski with the vest, then ditch it if I feel strong. I did find that it was much easier to get used to the vest while skiing slow on jumpers.

I also agree with the comments on weight. That thing must weigh 10 pounds, and that is the last thing I need on my slalom ski when I am very weight challenged from missing an entire ski season :)

Also, here is a little eye candy for all the gearheads (and jumpers) out there, just unwrapped yesterday.

• Baller
I'll second @skiinxs about the potential for scary line locking with the Power Vest. My ski partner uses one and he's almost ended up on shore several times. Also for something that costs so much the darn thing is surprising fragile. He's constantly reinforcing the back brace with extra washers to keep it from tearing off the vest. BUT due to back issues he wouldn't ski without it and it works for him. Just gotta know how to use it.

• Baller

I tried one 6 years ago... I 3rd the potential for scary line (lean?) locking. The thing terrified me. It was also a hoot for me trying to get back on the platform with the thing on. I had to take it off in the water so I could get back in the boat:

Larry Teague bought the thing hoping to be able to ski after two shoulder replacement surgeries. He changed his mind after watching me.

• Baller
With an over sized old big and stiff HO and connelly vest from the 90s that where shorter than todays vests you could tuck your arm under the front o the vest and get an very low anchor point and the pull from the lower back of the vest there wasn't any padding on the sides if i remember right so your arms was rly close to your body. Maybe design an vest with some adjustable padding on the right places to adjust where u wanna have your arms

• Administrators

wow i really touched a nerve with you guys. Got a phone call from a top BigDawg telling me it is cheating and a text from a pro saying it is a generally bad idea.

For all the other advise - I am 15 pounds lighter than a year ago, drinking a LOT less, eating almost all organic/low fat/low carb and getting to the gym as much as possible. All that still does not convince me that my tendon is all good. In all likelihood my tendon is fine but it is impossible to prove. If a PowerVest takes load off my arms and I can ski with it why not.

This product seems to be a hot button. I will test and review it. Maybe I will wear it long term and maybe not. I am surprised at how negative some many of you are about the product.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton – I was the very first customer to purchase a PowerVest in 2009 and agree it is a controversial product. I have talked to a lot of people and everyone has an opinion on it. The reality is, this is just water-skiing and if you have an injury that is preventing you from skiing, why not give it a shot. I agree that diet, fitness level, flexibility and the amount you ski and the decisions you make while on the ski, are a huge factor. Injuries are painful and that pain can be extremely motivating. Choose a healthy lifestyle, get in the gym and try to tighten things back up. If you are not comfortable with your progress, then the Powervest is there as an option. The body takes time to heal, so don’t rush it.

I have had 2 back surgeries and have a lower lumbar spinal instability that I can’t “train” away. I am in the gym 5 days a week and am doing everything I can to manage it, but the reality is my body will never be the same, so I have to manage it. The Powervest helps me manage my instability, but I still get hurt and still have to take time off the water. It is not a cure all. It does restrict movement, but I have learned to accept it and adapt. I am sure a lower lumbar spinal fusion is in my future, but until then, I will enjoy skiing and skiing at a high level.

My advice would be to use the PowerVest until you are confident that your arm can handle it, then start skiing without it. Definitely take the dowels out of the gloves and heat mold the back plate.

The vest is legal in any and ALL competition. I have worn it in class C, L, R, Regional, National, Big Dawg and World Championship events. There will always be people that disagree with allowing its use, but don’t worry about those guys, they are not going through your pain or concern for re-injury. I think it comes down to ego. Some people would rather sit on the dock and look cool than participate and wear a vest that might look a little funny. I choose to participate. Those that have never had such an injury won’t understand, so don’t try to convince them. It is your body, take care of it. As far as improving performance, what do you think, if it was improving performance, don’t you think you would see more of them out there? Most people that I know that have used the Powervest to heal an injury would all agree that they stopped using it because they felt that they could ski better without it. I think this is why you don’t see a lot of them out there.

Good Luck!

Jeff Milford

• Baller

@Horton for the record, I was not making fun of you. If you feel safer wearing it, then do it. I was just warning you that it is difficult to put your ski on without some advice from people who use it. You can kill yourself if you don't take it easy at first. Baby steps are recommended.

@Mark_Matis As for Buford wanting him carrying her around...I doubt it.

First day as stay home dad, where did he take her? Starts with an H.....

I have photographic evidence.

• Members

@Horton, Unfortunately not exaggerating MY experience with the Powervest. It's been a while since I used it, but I remember having the straps too short initially, and could barely get out of the water without going out the front. I agree with @Milford, people that haven't had a major injury don't understand the worry of re-injury and another long rehab. I still think it's a good way to ease yourself back into things, just take it easy until you figure it out.

And, no I don't type like that, this is the only site my phone (android) does that on. Guess I need some tech support on phone settings.

• Administrators

@Dirt you forget I jumped for all those years with clinchers. The last thing you do is put your gloves on. I guess the black plate may make that even more interesting but I am so inflexible I do not know how much worse it could be.

As for Buford, she likes hot wings

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I have struggled with my back the last couple of years and it has me thinking about the Powervest. Two years ago I was in great shape and still had problems that plagued me all through the winter and I definitely wasn't in the shape I need to be at the start of last season. I am trying to rectify that but still struggling with back issues that make working out a challenge at times.

I have skied with clinchers for probably 5 years with no problems is it harder to release the handle with the Powervest than just clinchers?

I figured the vest and gloves would be the last thing to go on after the ski.

• Baller

I used one after shoulder surgery a few years back. It puts you in a slightly different body position- a bit hunched when the straps take effect. With the dowels in, you can take slack hits like never before! (not promoting that)... It's a bit restricting for very short lines (39, 41) when you need to really stretch, but it will get you back on the water having fun in no time. I don't use mine anymore...but I've still got it!

Miller gave me some good tips/advise on them. Many of the guys modified the backplate, by cutting it shorter and or molding it a bit to your back shape. Also, try to ski as though the straps are not there. Ignore them, but have them positioned just so they take hold should you get surprised by quick hit.

• Baller
@Horton I used a PowerVest for a full comeback from a completely shattered shoulder—it's now my good shoulder. Even if you don't totally need it, giving your arm another full year to recover is long-term smart. Using a PowerVest will let you ski while supporting full healing. The rest is moot.