The Practice Of Weaving

ozski

• Baller
A couple of comments have been passed recently about skiers going away to ski schools and improving their scores significantly only to return to "more normal" scores back on home turf. So how wide spread is the practice of weaving really and how would you feel if you ran a "coached PB" only to see the video footage of a boat weaving side to side? I don't mind giving skiers a bit of help to build confidence but there is a limit. I guess if a coach feels they are under pressure to deliver a better buoy count to get repeat business then the temptation is there...

• Baller_

Well, there are a couple issues here. First, the PB at ski school could be because the driver or conditions or both at home are marginal. You may be getting really good driving at ski school, especially where there is both a driver and coach in the boat. On the other hand, being a driver at a ski lake (LaPoints) and a regular tournament driver, I can tell you that without a driver and a coach in the boat, you are either getting a lesson or a good boat path, but you are rarely getting both. That said, a bad ski school boat path is often better than what you get from a ski partner at home that doesn't take driving seriously.

Next, the typical ski school student is a -15 or -22 skier, who really doesn't benefit that much from a weave. -35 and beyond, maybe -32 in a pinch, can be helped with a friendly boat path , but by and large those skiers can tell when they are being helped. Finally, you have to be a pretty good driver to weave and help the skier. I think most weavers really work against the skier by not letting them really get free of the boat, especially at -32 and longer.

I would bet that ski school PBs are more often the result of slow speeds rather than a weave. But I would also bet that the combination of a good site, a good driver, good coaching and being amped up to succeed without the pressure of a tournament, and perhaps a fin or binding adjustment, is as often as not the cause.

Lpskier

• Administrators

Ooo this is a minefield. There are plenty of accusations about weaving and slow boat speeds (ZO rec mode) at ski schools and demo days.

Does it happen? Yes but maybe not as often as skiers think.

Before you accuse a coach of this you need to take a few things into consideration.

First - the water down south (USA) is alway easier to ski on than the rest of the country. I always run 2 more balls in Orlando. Most of the schools are in Orlando so ....

Second - ski school drivers and pro coaches are WAY better drivers than your ski buddies. The path may be dead straight but still feel night and day better than the average driver. I have accused @jdarwin of weaving and have been wrong. He is just a very very good driver. It is not the drivers fault that your normal ski buddies are not as good behind the wheel.

Personally I want actual times and straight paths. Truth be told my paths are far from perfect but I am trying to be legal and straight. When I get in trouble mid pass I may end up weaving to keep from short siding the skier. If a driver can go straighter and weaves to make the skier feel better that is absolute crap.

It happens but I do not think it is common.

• Baller

I think @Horton is right on. A better path and I will ski a better score. In addition, Florida water is like magic. Skiing down south in warm Florida water just feels easier. I also agree that most "weavers" hurt more than they help. Even guys who are good at it can end up either (a) taking the handle away from you at the ball as they start the move toward the next ball or (b) pulling on you really hard as you approach center (for the same reason) and slinging you out of control toward the ball. IMO, the better the driver, the better the scores.

@RazorRoss3 pulls me more than any other driver. My scores behind him are consistently good. Senior drivers who have checked him at tournaments (he is a rated assistant driver) have said he has one of the best boat paths they've seen. On that note, confidence in your driver also improves your scores. When I'm behind someone who I don't have confidence in, my scores go down. Up here in MN I'm lucky to have my son, my wife, and my brother, all of whom drive a great boat path!

• Baller
I concur on the water itself. At our northern WI family cottage, the water is crystal clear, and so pure you can drink it while swimming. I equate to snow skiing on a freshly groomed, real snow. Our local water is red with iron, and tastes like a nosebleed if you get it in your mouth. It's like snow skiing on ice.

• Baller
Only been to ski Acapulco in my early stages of running the coarse and a handful of clinics at the ski clubs I have belonged to. It's always the opposite for me. I always ski worse . Likely due to nerves and trying to implement new techniques.