Thinking about a new boat, been too long since i sold my last one.

Jeff_70

New to site!

I have been reading and searching the net for months. Reading this site a lot and reading waterski magazine reviews of every used boat i have looked at. I am looking for a multi-purpose boat. I want a boat that I can slalom behind, older children can wake board behind and the family can spend a day on a bigger lake (Texoma) if we want to. For me the need for a smaller wake is paramount. I have no need to wake surf. I have not skied regularly since I was in my 20's to early 30's, I'm 45 now. I have owned two runabouts that had outboards on them.

The boat I have settled on at this point is a 2000 Tige 2100V. It already has a wake board tower on it, and it has the needed room I will need for the kiddos and the grand kids. It has a 5.7 engine,363 hours and they are asking 18900 for it and it is local so I will not have to drive days to get, it is about 20 minutes from the house. From the reviews of waterski magazine this boat seems to fulfill my needs. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

k8ckz17nj7mo.jpg

• Baller
I'm not sure what year Tiga started putting flotation in thier boats, but I think it was after 2000. You may want to check that out. Prior to the implementaion of positive upright flotation, if you were to swamp one on a big lake (or forget to put the plug in, etc.) they would go to the bottom.

• Baller
You are correct that the USCG regulations only require positive upright flotation on 19' and under, but all Nautiques do, and I am pretty sure MasterCrafts and Malibu's as well. This is negated in many cases on the "big wake" boats when the owners add lead to make the big wakes bigger. At least the water bags go neutral when they get to water level. Tige started adding flotaton as some point as well. I know of one Tige 20' ski boat sitting at the bottom of Table rock lake by the dam in over 150' of water which was the result of a big roller over the nose leaving July 4th fireworks at night.

• Baller

My neighbor has that exact boat. The slalom wake is huge even with the trim tab at its lowest setting.

It has the same hours as that one and the motor runs good but it's very underpowered for how deep the hull sits.

On the other hand. The inside room is incredible and the wakeboard wake is giant for a smaller wakeboard boat.

I've always thought that for someon like you a Malibu response with a power wedge is the best option.

Best of both worlds but will be a little tight on room.

• Baller

Price could be regional on it too? Where I live, one would have to give it away, as people around here wouldn't know what a Tige is. All my years on the water in our area of WI, and I've only seen one Tige boat back in the 90's.

Nice trailer, but I'd ask why the need for aluminum. That can signal salt water use, if that bothers you? As a Midwest guy, I wouldn't touch a salty boat. Food for thought anyway.

• Baller
You don't see many Tige around here but most folks know what they are. As for aluminum - likely had the first trailer rot out or it was sold without a trailer originally. Trailer on my inlaws 04 response has been in MN all its life and I'm on round 2 of patching things that have rusted clean out.

• Baller
@Jeff_70 would you consider a Moomba? The Outback V may get you the capability you want at the price point you are looking for. As one person pointed at the Malibu Sunsetter LXI would fit the bill to but they are hard to find and it sounds like you want a v-drive. An older Malibu 21 LSV on a Diamond hull might do it too. I think you will really be disappointed in a Tige v-drive wake for slalom skiing.

Well, with all yall have said I will continue to look, and there are numerous ski boats local, have seen Moomba, Nautique, Mastercraft, Supra, etc. Just really do think that the V drive gives me the seating I am looking for. And the wife must have a sun deck to lay out on.....

• Baller

Yup, hard to beat the seating of a v-drive. While a sunsetter lxi has marginally more space inside than a response it still loses half that seating when someone is skiing.

Malibu sunscape 20/21 might be an option - sort of a vtx without the ballast. You might need to add a tower as most of them do not have one. Main thing you are looking for in a Malibu is a diamond hull (ski hull). Some boats come in either diamond or wake so you need to know how to identify them.

link

• Baller
That centurion is going to have a large-ish and hard ski wake. Those boats wake board pretty good. Don't let the adjustable trim tab fool you, it's more for changing the shape of the wake for board sports. The hull shape will dictate a wake that's not too friendly for slalom skiers.

• Baller

If you are nearby the Nautique go check it out. GT40 is a kick butt motor...and you may not appreciate Nautique quality til you check it out thoroughly or happen to own one. I certainly didn't get it til I owned one but I do now. I'm not knocking any other quality boat manufacturers I like them, too...just saying Nautique's are built exceptionally well which may matter more in the used market. 260 hours is NOTHING on that boat...that's almost new.

• Baller
@Jeff_70 In your first post you wrote. For me the need for a smaller wake is paramount. If that is truly the case I would stick with a sunsetter with the diamond hull and stay away from v drives. I know you loose the seating you want. But you still have plenty of room. It has a great slalom wake for a bigger boat. With the wedge the kids can wakeboard. You can pull the back seat bottom out and lay on the armrests and have a decent sundeck. Newer ones have a ski locker that can be used as a sundeck. Seems like the best compromise to keep everyone happy in my opinion. Something like one of these. link

@foxriverat, yes I have been leaning more and more towards a DD, but the wife gets one veto and she says it has to be one "with the engine in the back". So therefore I'm looking for the best alternative. Everyone on this site has been crazy helpful with suggestions and leading me away from a mistake.

With that said, my thinking of ski boats, is that the CC's and MC's are the Cobalts of ski boats. I could be wrong, just my opinion. Don't get me wrong if I find a v-drive Malibu with the diamond hull for the right price it will be in my garage

• Baller
My .02 , you'll get more useful advice on good crossover boats on malibucrew or team talk. Most of the folks here think a closed bow ski boat is the only thing you can ski behind. Nice wakes, but the least versatile boat you can get for family use. I like skiing behind my inlaws response lxi but don't mind skiing behind my v-drive at all.

• Baller
If your wife didn't need the v-drive would totally agree with @foxriverat the sunsetter lxi is a pretty versatile bigger direct drive. Handles nice, good space, slalom wake pretty nice, too, barefoots ok. Get it with a wedge and wake board away...helluva boat.

• Baller

Depending on your price range, (not sure if low 30s is out) but the Nautique 211 should be on your list. I have seen some listed for 32-33K, with <500 hours on them.

I have one, and while the ski wake is nowhere near a direct drive, it's perfectly serviceable. The wake for wakeboarding is very, very good, and the surf wake is easily one of the best for those years.

And of course you get Correct Craft's legendary build quality.

• Baller

@Jeff_70 wrote "I am looking for a multi-purpose boat. I want a boat that I can slalom behind, older children can wake board behind and the family can spend a day on a bigger lake (Texoma) if we want to. For me the need for a smaller wake is paramount."

My 0.02 cents. If that is TRULY your case (read - if you want to seriously pursue slalom skiing with this boat) you are ultimately NOT going to be happy with a V-drive of ANY brand regardless of what anyone here wants to have you believe, and I've tried skiing behind most of them out there. It's a compromise at best and the slalom wake (if that is truly an imperative to you) is going to be way inferior to any DD, which will ultimately hold you back assuming you truly do want to pursue slalom seriously. The suggestions of a Malibu Sunsetter LXI or even the Response LXI would be more what you'll ultimately be happiest with.

Malibu build quality is right up there (if it weren't why do they continue to sell so many?) so don't think you're getting inferior quality. Wife loves the sunpad and open bow room in our '05 Response LXI, the slalom wake and performance are world class, with a tower and Wedge (neither of which I have on mine) you're set. My wife doesn't ski either and she's perfectly fine with the interior room of our RLXI and that will be improved slightly with the Sunsetter. If you're serious about course skiing you need a DD, otherwise some of the V-drive suggestions will likely be fine.

• Baller

Ed is very correct. All v-drives start to kick up a big wake as you bring the speed down to a range for beginner course work. For an experience slalom skier running 34+ MPH there are a few v-drives that are workable. The Malibu VTX or Sunscape 20LSV or 21LSV (if optioned with the diamond hull, the 21 is on the border line though), the Nautique Sport 200, and the Moomba Outback V. I've skied the Malibu and Nautique, at 34 MPH they are very nice almost tournament boat quality at longer line lengths. The Malibu gives up some tracking. Most v-drives are designed for wake boarding so even at slalom speeds the wakes are big. For example the wake hull on the VTX is down right dangerous to try and cross like you were skiing in a slalom course.

Your wife is fixed on a v-drive layout and for your budget and requirements I only see the Moomba or an older Malibu 21LSV meeting them. An alternative would be to look at a Malibu XTI. It's a direct drive with a funky seat lay out but your wife may like the layout. If on a diamond hull it may be a good compromise.

@thager LMAO younger age....I think I am already past that. After what Ed_Obermeier said I will for sure look into what he is saying. I have only skied behind tourney type boats in the late 80's early 90's. The boats I owned were runabouts and the wakes were horrible. I have had some horrific wipe outs due to the wake.... Been very lucky with my knees, have lost 25 lbs since Oct and still losing....45 years old, currently weigh 195, looking to get down to 185.

• Baller
i think what he's trying to say is pulling across the wake in true stacked fashion could result in something less than pleasant. I tried skiing behind a crossover Nautique 216v, and would've destroyed myself had I pulled hard. Had to treat the wake like a huge mogul.

@oldjeep my knees are fine, snow skied a lot in the early 90's, was stationed at Travis AFB in Cali, spent many a weekend in and around Tahoe. Skied at lake Berryessa (sp?) with a civilian that worked at the base; his buddy had a CC (don't know which model) but it was around 1991-1992. Was a blast. I for sure got hurt more on the snow than the water. Dislocated my shoulder on some moguls when the light was flat, dam mogul came out of nowhere.....Knock on wood, only injury I ever had on the water was Barotrauma (bruised eardrum).

@Ed_Obermeier is it possible for you to post a link or a picture of the DD seating set up your are talking about that has a sun deck on it? I have found this: Link

But it does not have a sun deck persay. Sweet boat and wife does like the seating arrangement. Have found some others like this that are quite a bit cheaper.

• Baller
My neighbor has an xti. I can vouch for the wake. It skis great at 34 mph, 22 and 28' off. Boat is a bit of a handful to drive compared to LXI. Wakeboards good. We can't seem to figure out a decent surf setup. Cool seating arrangement and great access to platform.

• Baller
@Jeff_70 Like 6balls said the pads over the ski locker make up the sun pad on a DD. Probably not quite as large as on a V drive but still plenty to lay out/lounge on. Some boats (some MC 197's i.e., there are others) are set up so the back seat bottom comes up to add to the sun pad area pretty much doubling it.

• Baller
@oldjeep there are a few models that were available on both hulls but it's not very well documented. My Sunsetter was one such animal. XTI, Sunkicker, even the iRide could be ordered with a diamond hull if your dealer was willing to work with the factory. Some dealers would often default to the diamond hull when ordering stock boats because they could sell them to a broader market.

Well I think it is narrowed down to the 2006 Malibu that @6balls posted the link for. I talked to the owner. He is willing to split shipping. Sounds like he has taken very good care of her and it should provide me years of enjoyment. The value on nada with my zipcode is 26000-29685 which includes the trailer. He says he is at 28000 firm, but will spilt costs. Good deal or no? All I can really go by is book value.

• Baller

Look at some other boat-for-sale sites for comparables to get an idea of what people are asking. Link below from onlyinboards.com which lists six '03-'06 which is the same hull as the one you're looking at. Link

I think I know the one for sale in Kansas City, Mo, the 2004 listed for $25K. If it's the one I think it is (@kstateskier is this your boat?) I'd jump all over it if I were looking myself. No tower though...