Minneapolis ski scene

jhughes

• Baller
What is the slalom scene like in the greater Minneapolis area? Say within 45 minutes of the city? Could someone live around there and ski the course daily somehow? Any morning skiers on private water? Asking for a friend who may move soon. I've searched around a bit and saw a ski development maybe 45min away in New Germany but I don't know what the status is of the development, etc. It would be nice to live on a ski lake if possible within commuting distance to Minneapolis.

• Baller

There are several public lakes with courses on them in the metro area. Private water is pretty rare and New Germany is not really 45 minutes from the metro unless there is nobody on the roads. I live pretty far west and it is still a 25 minute drive out there.

My brother in-law lives on a small lake that has a pretty active course on it, he would be within that 45 minute limit. There is also the Prior Lake waterski club which you can join and have access to 1 or 2 public lake courses (only skied on one of them). They also have a private site in a gravel pit which I don't fully understand the steps to use that site. Haven't had any contact with them since they dropped their public lake only membership.

http://splwsa.org/

• Baller

There are several public lakes with courses on them in the metro area. Private water is pretty rare and New Germany is not really 45 minutes from the metro unless there is nobody on the roads. I live pretty far west and it is still a 25 minute drive out there.

My brother in-law lives on a small lake that has a pretty active course on it, he would be within that 45 minute limit. There is also the Prior Lake waterski club which you can join and have access to 1 or 2 public lake courses (only skied on one of them). They also have a private site in a gravel pit which I don't fully understand the steps to use that site. Haven't had any contact with them since they dropped their public lake only membership.

http://splwsa.org/

• Baller

Like others have said. There are several public lakes that during the right time of day (early AM or early PM) are pretty quite. There is private water that I know of in New Germany, Shakopee and I have talked to a fellow who had private water in Rockford. Shakopee isn't all that private if you ask me though.

I know there are a few areas up north-northeast of the cites too, but I am not very familiar with those areas as it is just to hard to get there easily for me.

I am hoping to make a few new ski partners this coming spring in the west metro (Minnetonka area). So if your buddy decides to move that way give me a yell.

• Baller

Like others have said. There are several public lakes that during the right time of day (early AM or early PM) are pretty quite. There is private water that I know of in New Germany, Shakopee and I have talked to a fellow who had private water in Rockford. Shakopee isn't all that private if you ask me though.

I know there are a few areas up north-northeast of the cites too, but I am not very familiar with those areas as it is just to hard to get there easily for me.

I am hoping to make a few new ski partners this coming spring in the west metro (Minnetonka area). So if your buddy decides to move that way give me a yell.

• Baller
Lake Langdon, Dutch, Auburn, Schutz I believe all have courses. If you don't mind swampy water...there is only 1 skier on Langdon (good guy often without a partner/driver) and he has a submersible and a 2002 SN 196. Use google earth it is just west of lake Minnetonka and just south of Dutch. There are very few homeowners...very quiet lake and the launch is terrible so no visitors.

• Baller
Lake Langdon, Dutch, Auburn, Schutz I believe all have courses. If you don't mind swampy water...there is only 1 skier on Langdon (good guy often without a partner/driver) and he has a submersible and a 2002 SN 196. Use google earth it is just west of lake Minnetonka and just south of Dutch. There are very few homeowners...very quiet lake and the launch is terrible so no visitors.

• Baller

@6balls Auburn, Schutz, Wasserman and I think 1 more on small lakes in Victoria. Kind of crazy for how small the town is and you really need to know someone to find/use them. I know there is a big fight every year over the permit for at least one of them. Never been on any of them even though they are all within a couple miles of my house.

Main issues for me are that my wife won't drive a course and the launches at all those lakes are more suited to fishing boats, not my heavy v-drive and tandem trailer. As a result I do most of my course skiing in Shakopee at my brother in-laws place.

• Baller

@6balls Auburn, Schutz, Wasserman and I think 1 more on small lakes in Victoria. Kind of crazy for how small the town is and you really need to know someone to find/use them. I know there is a big fight every year over the permit for at least one of them. Never been on any of them even though they are all within a couple miles of my house.

Main issues for me are that my wife won't drive a course and the launches at all those lakes are more suited to fishing boats, not my heavy v-drive and tandem trailer. As a result I do most of my course skiing in Shakopee at my brother in-laws place.

• Baller

Trophy Lakes Estates III, which is northeast of the cities. Two private lakes. Houses and lots on the lake, though don't know what's for sale other than what the bank holds. The local association holds a couple 3-Event tournaments there each year and held Midwest Regionals there a couple years ago.

Google address 15198 356th Street, Center City, MN 55012.

• Baller

Trophy Lakes Estates III, which is northeast of the cities. Two private lakes. Houses and lots on the lake, though don't know what's for sale other than what the bank holds. The local association holds a couple 3-Event tournaments there each year and held Midwest Regionals there a couple years ago.

Google address 15198 356th Street, Center City, MN 55012.

• Baller

Trophy Lakes Estates III, Great place to ski. I was there for the 2012 and 2013 Midwest regionals. There are so many lakes in Minnesota all you need is a portable slalom course and you can ski just about anywhere. If a lake gets busy, pack up and go to another lake..

• Baller

Trophy Lakes Estates III, Great place to ski. I was there for the 2012 and 2013 Midwest regionals. There are so many lakes in Minnesota all you need is a portable slalom course and you can ski just about anywhere. If a lake gets busy, pack up and go to another lake..

My buddy and I ski on Rush lake just outside of clear lake (about 45 minutes from the west side of the cities). He has been putting a course in for about 30 years. It is a public lake, but there are very few boats on the lake. There are 3 lakes and Rush is the smallest so the big boats and jet skis go to the bigger lakes. We are always looking for people to ski with. My buddy would ski every night if he had someone to ski with. My schedule is a bit all over the place. He has a 2002 response and I just bought a 2012 TXI.

• Baller

Ed, I think you've got two extra tour stops in there- I worked the '87, '91, '92, and '93 stops, but don't recall any later than that. There was a WOW stop around 2002 on the Mississippi River.

I recall that in '87 Sammy refused to jump on our blue-surfaced jump so you stripped all the wax off and painted it red for us. Then we ended up with a 40 MPH crosswind for the jump event...

Back on topic, there are a few other sites besides Trophy Lakes 3 on the east side of town. A couple of us committed to getting the old primary tournament site in the metro area, Island Lake, back into tournament shape this spring.

• Baller_
@Nando The WOW stop was at Keller. The dock collapsed when they were all out taking a group photo. I never understood why someone doesn't ski on Island Lake daily and keep that site up. It was always a good spot to put up a nice score.

• Baller
MS, they had one on the river too- ran Dr. Drillandfill's Malibu into a wing dam and pushed the prop and shaft right through the hull. I forgot about the one on Keller. There are two of us living on the lake and we've been skiing quite a bit. We found the surveyed course and plan to get it back into shape. We've discussed getting a tournament there again.

• Baller
yardsale, you're not kidding- I was out there on a friend's pontoon (from Kohlman) and it's nasty. Where the tour course was seemed thick enough to walk on. But, Island was almost as bad and we're getting it under control. Skiing helps, but falling in that stuff is kind of nasty... I used to ski with a guy that regularly put in a portable on Keller- that would be a mess on some of these weed-infested lakes.

• Baller

We went TOUR-ing on Keller in 1991, 92, 93, 94, & 95. There was a weed problem then,

at one end, which was the right end looking out on the lake, between the island and the

shore. The slalom boat turnaround went through a cleared path that got chomped out

of the weeds.

• Baller
@Edbrazil I skied in a "challenge the pro's" event associated with that tour stop yes that turnaround in the weeds and muck was crazy. Must have been super shallow there, too, given all of the mud flying. The driver's basically said hey listen...super tight turn up there stay on the wake close to center line. Still have my michelob dry tourney bib from that event stuck on the wall of my office.

• Baller

Rivvy, the homeowners association has a permit to treat with chemicals, but as much as that, we've been mowing them out with a couple of inboards and skiing. There's a lot of incentive not to fall. During the lake's tournament days, we did moonlight canoe rides with a sprayer of Aquathol hanging out the side, but we're trying to play by the rules and stay within the limits of our permit for spraying.

Ed and 6balls, I recall that the boat wakes at Keller were kind of a mixture of brown and green, with lots of salad flying. The island that was at the north end of the slalom course there is reputed to be a kind of semi-floating bog- just a mass of vegetation that's more or less anchored by its roots. When Drew Townes (??) was scouting locations for the tour, he and I paced out the course on the ice in the winter. There were matted weeds in the ice, but I don't think he noticed- making the thing work was Ed's job...

• Baller
A friend of mine and I have been the ones maintaining the Keller course skiing a couple nights a week for the last few years. She and I have replaced a ton of rusted out bolts and rotting buoy lines! Anyway it's there but weeds have made it unusable so far this season. Can anyone help us out with a temporary site to ski? My other course is 2 hours north and I don't get there enough! First weekend of the season I got into 32' off so now I've got the itch bad to get in more sets. We can show up with either a Mastercraft or gas money!

• Baller

Gotta get that course up early spring and use it a ton if you are in a weed pit...we are in one as well. If we had waited one more weekend to get the courses up it wouldn't have been possible with the weeds.

Every time out we run the boat up and down it as if it is a skier (around the balls), and run a bunch of doughnuts in the set down areas on both ends. When done skiing we go do the same to the course we didn't use that day. We are staying ahead but only because we've had good enough weather to ski a lot.

As for an alternative, we are too far from you...hope someone is able to step up and help.

Hey all, I'm 6 years late to the thread, but here I am!! I do most of my skiing on Medicine Lake, but would really love to get into course work this summer. (Yes, ice is on the water, but I'm already thinking about ski season).

Anyone have any updates on where a guy might find a course around the cities? Shakopee or Pine Island are the two answers I keep seeing. But any other insights on other locations? Thanks all!

• Baller

@skibrain i know one of the guys that uses that course, PM if you want info.

Otherwise there are a few public courses in the west metro but if you live on medicine lake your best bet is to get a portable course and put it up from time to time.