Transitioning into 3 event

rodltg2

• Baller
Had lots of fun last weekend at our tournament this past weekend. I entered trick and the last time I tricked was I believe was two years ago at the same tournament. Prior to that was a handful of times many years ago. Needless to say suck. I really liked it this time around and would like to start tricking more. In fact today I skied one trick set and one slalom. It got me thinking maybe I should try jump too. Never have so don't know if I'm too old to start at 42. Don't want to get hurt of course. I don't ski many tournaments as I don't like the current format. As a men's 3 skier who runs mid 28 in tournaments I don't feel competive. I wondering if I pick up the other two events I may have more fun at tournaments. Thoughts ?

@rodltg2 firstly - ABSOLUTELY take up three events. Times at three event tournaments go pretty fast between sets and, if you help officiating, even faster. In terms of being too old? Not a chance! I've seen a LOT more slalom only folks walking around with crutches and ankle boots than jumpers. Of course there are a lot more slalom skiers but still if you've been at a tournament in the past two years I'll bet you know more than one slalom skier who's been hobbled up.

One piece of advice is to get some good instruction early on for jump. Doesn't need to be a pro or a ski school but should be someone who's got a reputation of jumping safely at various levels. Nothing like the rush of hitting big red!!

Good luck!!

• Baller

I am in total agreement with @klindy about 3-eventing. If you have the time and site to train, it sure makes tournaments a lot of fun. It is common to ski 6 times in 1 day, heck of a deal. If you have taken care of your body, you are not too old, not even close. Get good jump coaching and be smart with practice. In my opinion you already have an advantage if you know how to trick.

Downside - sure is a lot of gear to haul around!!!!! Have fun.

• Baller
@klindy he still remembers your advice many jumps and years ago. "Hit the middle". In the early years so many people would ask why he jumped below max speed. I always said it was more important to jump safe.

• Baller_
I three evented at Nationals this year for the first time ever, and I'm 59. On the ot the other hand I had a solid foundation from my junior days to call on. If you are going to jump, get some good knee braces and some even better instruction. I went to Lucky.

Lpskier

• Baller
I trick but my wife has threatened me with divorce if I start to jump. It is nice to be able to ski on jump and trick day. I could probably qualify for Nationals out of the east if I 3 evented I don't think there are 5 overall skiers.

• Baller

@rodltg2 - hey Rod. Since you don't have a jump at your site, if you'd like to come slide over the ramp at Bell Acqua lake 1, PM me. We can get you started. Alternatively, you could probably arrange for an official, well-coached lesson from Makayla Haw at Lake 2.

Jim

My vote is to start three eventing. In college I was an average skier and a terrible trick skier that could plop off the end of the ramp and get solid points for the team. Since I was only tricking approx. 450 points and jumping about 50 feet I didn’t see a reason to take up three eventing after college.

Fast forward to today and I’ve got a garage full of slalom, trick and jump equipment. And it’s all because I have more fun at three event tournaments than I do at slalom tourneys. There’s one coming up in a few week that I’m looking to attend, three rounds of slalom, two trick and two jump for $80. That’s a hell of a deal considering I’ve paid more for just three rounds of slalom.

As far as taking up jumping, just find someone that knows how to do it safely to pull you over the top one time and you’ll be hooked.

• Baller
@rodltg2 interesting and glad you started this post because I have been contemplating the same thing lately. I slalom and trick currently but have been thinking of taking up jump. I feel being a 3 event skier would encourage me to ski more tournaments, get and stay more involved...which can only help my skiing as I also don't feel competitive. Besides skiing with a few friends and BOS I have been quite disconnected from the skiing world since my collegiate days, esp this year...time to change that.