Reverse Back Wrap

FrankS

Hi guys,

I've been tricking a lot lately and the reverse back wrap is really giving me problems. I can do a standard back wrap and reverse back turning my whole body around with no problem, but I can seem to get around on the reverse backwrap. I feel like learning one would make by back to backs and reverse wake backs faster and/or easier. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

• Baller

Reverse back wrap is an important trick. Work on it.

Step one is to turn the ski around backwards with two hands. Make sure you get all the way around. Don't stay there but get comfortable with the turn and the position. It is the fastest way to perform surface BB and reverse - especially if you slam against the rope fast.

Sticking the position is a difficult task. But worthy. It takes a lot of flexibility - dry land stretching or yoga is critical. It's easier to twist all the way around if your knees are bent a bit extra. That also makes more room for your hands to wrap around. I try to get my hands below below my butt - without breaking at the waist. Some people pop their inside elbow up to help lock the position (I don't, but experiment with it).

The trick is easier to hold if you are edging agressively toward the wake. A drill that I use is to go outside the driver wake and turn into the reverse backwrap. I'm RFF, use the other wake if you're LFF. Cut out as wide as you can. If you are doing it right, you will be straight out even with the driver. It takes balance and practice. But you will learn good edge control. Try it with the regular backwrap on the other side.

With enough practice and flexibility a bunch of fun tricks are opened up by reverse backwrap.

Eric

• Baller
I've been working on the reverse backwrap this summer too and, and am probably about where you are, I can get around with two hands but can't really hold it. Lately I've been doing a lot of reverse side slides and holding them for a while to get comfortable in that position. Im RFF so I go in the left curl just outside the wake and focus on doing slow and controlled reverse sideslides, slowly trying to rotate further and further around into the reverse wrap. Another trick thats helped me is trying to put my right hand on the small of my back/butt and hold it there. You can also let go of the handle with your right hand and push against the rope to help get you into the reverse wrap, just so you can feel what its like. Focusing on slow and controlled reverse side slides has helped a lot and I'm getting closer and closer everytime. It isn't easy!

• Baller

@dropski RSS is not a good prep trick for reverse backwrap. Instead do one handed reverse backs. Or do full backs and twist as much as you can. Make sure you get the ski all the way around. You need that all the way around edge to work from.

Eric

• Baller

I learned them over 25 years ago now so I imagine some things have changed in technique and coaching from back then, but what I did (in addition to the great tips from eleeski) was turn them smooth and controlled. I couldn't hold them when I snapped them around quickly.

The second thing I did was slow the boat speed down a bunch to the point where I was plowing a bit. Then when I had made it to the back position I put a bunch of weight on my front foot toes to drive the tip of the ski into the water. This allowed the ski to dig in and hold that edge and track in the back position easier.

From there I could hold it and play with body position a bit and speed the boat back up slowly once I had become comfortable with the position.