News from Nationals

MattP

• Baller

- April Coble is now on a Connelly. She took 4th in OW at Nationals.

i08eu2r80pjp.jpg

- Detrick takes 2nd at Nationals on his 4th set on the new V-Type R

- 5 Different brand skis and 4 different binding systems take the podium in OM.

- Only Nate & Brian scored into 41off.

jc3ysz10biam.jpg

- Chris Parrish is out injured and is why he did not ski at Nationals.

- Nick Parsons is recovering from an injury and joins team Radar.

- I would expect to see these guys as contenders at the upcoming pro events while still maintaining their health as the season extends into Nov. for Worlds.

56hbg844q84k.jpg

• Gold Member

I met Mike Mosley, Eric Lee, and Bruce Kowen. I met and skied with Chet Raley (Holy Crap do I need to spend more time with him!)

I discussed lots of stuff with Dave Goode and a little with Team Radar.

I watched MA's own Skip Hommel put up the round of his life (literally) to grab a podium spot in M5 with 5 @ 38.

I saw probably my favorite ex-New Englander, Kevin Jack lay down some insane tricks for 2nd in OM. Sadly this caused me to miss Nate Smith in Slalom (wow bad scheduling!)

I introduced myself to Regina Jacquess. My mommy said I was very brave ;).

OB4 was showing off the new shells. I saw a lot of folks oohing and many trying them on. Hopefully they like em as much as I have.

My ski partner @MikeT broke his handle about 10 minutes before his run. In what seems like a rare stroke of luck for us recently, I had my nearly identical handle handy, and he skied rather well with it.

Lots more cool stuff I can't remember when so tired and hot!

• Administrators
For those who are unaware. .. April is technically one of the very best 34 mph skiers on earth. I can not say enough about her rope control. Her choice in skis should raise eyebrows.

• Baller

Handles: noted the warning that they were checking handles @ Nationals per AWSA Rules.

Wonder if they actually did that for everyone, and did they catch and zero out anyone?

In the past, I've done that at L/R tournaments as Technical Controller, although somewhat

randomly before and after. Long handles were very rare. Most of the ones with the heavy-duty

fidded weave tend to be short, as in 1.48m or so.

• Baller
@MattP @Edbrazil Matt is correct. Every skier had their handle checked before and recorded (with a check mark on the running order) before they got in the water. After the set, all were rechecked. I am unaware of any long handle issues but certainly possible that it happened.

• Baller_

For me, I had the most fun Nationals ever. I was sick for the better part of the last year, so didn't qualify on my slalom score. Instead, I had to sneak in as a three eventer. Fortunately I tricked and jumped as a youngster, so I didn't have to learn anything new, I just had to remember a lot of old stuff. Well, in the case of my trick skiing, I actually didn't remember a lot. Anyway, I had no expectations and just had a good time. My daughter Grace also three events and we had boyfriend Ricky Walters along as a jumper. Grace had a Nationals PB in slalom (3@28/34) and a season long jump (88). Ricky went 100 feet for the first time (101 actually) (do they still give out Century Club swag, patch and certificate?) I skied to my average in slalom, did all my tricks and had to try a line front that I hadn't even attempted in 35 years because I was out of tricks but not out of time, and went 46, 56, 56 in jump with solid landings and skied away from all three. I had so much fun that this winter I think I'll practice up so that I can create some expectations and really trash the experience with 3x the self imposed pressure next year.

I heard some buzz that next year might be in Sacramento....

Big shout out to Jennifer Leachman-LaPoint for winning the inaugural MW National Championship with a dominating 4@38, winning by a full eight buoys. She was stroking her 38 and I was surprised she didn't run it.

Lpskier

• Baller

It is interesting to see April on the GT I hope she skis well on it. I happened to be at Coble's when she took her first set on the Nano 1 she skied on her husbands ski which was the wrong foot forward and ran 2@39 right off the dock.

I love watching April ski as Horton mentioned she is one of the best technical skiers in the world. The fact that she is 40 years old and still one of the best slalom skiers in the world is amazing.

• Baller

Joel Howley's video made the GT sound really good. However I haven't seen anyone on it or seen any reviews. Doesn't Joel work at Coble's.

Looks like Regina Jacquess on a flex tail. I was wondering if she switched over.

• Baller
@Horton Taylor passed on first jump and he was early. Second jump dropped a tip and took a digger. He did not take a third jump. I am not sure what happened to his trick score. It looked like open men trick and open men slalom were going on at the same time. Tough to get into the correct mind set needed for the two events.

• Baller

@gregy ... Regina was on the Nano 1FT at Nationals..Greg Badal told me she was the only one on it at that time and that she Loved it...She did ski well on it.

Also talked with Chet Raley, the greatest Coach on Earth, about his FT. I've known Chet for years and when he told me it was the best ski he has ever been on, I believe him...We talked about using the Ventrals on the Fin and shims in the slots, which he had in the middle slot on the left side.

Greg also said the same thing about his Ft.. He really kicked but on it and looked the best I have ever seen him ski. Wins MM with 2 1/2 @ 41.