2016 Centurion Carbon Pro first impressions

Horton

• Administrators

Last Saturday I received my 3rd Centurion in 2 years and I am extremely impressed. My first two boats were darn good but I think the 2016 is more refined. It is the little things that add up to a nicer boat. The things that the naysayers used to say about Centurion seem to all be gone.

Some folks complained about a transition “clunk” noise on the 2015 and earlier boats. The transmission on the 2016 is as smooth and quiet as any boat I have ever driven. Personally I never thought the transmission “clunk” was a big deal but some folks found it objectionable.

I do not know how but the 2016 Centurion is remarkably quiet. Maybe credit goes to PCM. The engine box seems extra heavy so maybe that is where the sound deadening is happening. I do not know what they did but it is pretty quiet even with the throttle wide open.

I normally like a moderate amount of rudder load and find that any boat that does not have enough load feels vague and is hard to drive. My new boat has basically zero rudder load but the steering is feels very tactile. I have no plans to mess with the rudder.

I have not yet driven anything past 32 off / 34mph yet but somehow this boat is just easy to drive. My friends Mark and Carla came over to ski. Carla drove for Mark for a bunch of 32s and told me she wanted the boat after she drove it.

Is it pretty? Are you kidding me? The interior is killer and you have to see the black gelcoat with silver metal flake in person.

The bad news – The 2016 is likely to be the last year you can get a 5.7 engine in a Centurion. I believe the other 3 brands will move away from the 5.7 in 2016.

In 2017 Centurion will have the 5.3 and a 6.2. These engines are going to drive up the price on all boats by about $5k (or more). So if you are looking to get a Centurion before the price goes higher you have about 12 months to get it done.

• Administrators

@303Skier boat prices always seem hard to exactly pin down. .. options options..

Generally the Carbon Pro is 10K less than a similarly optioned new boat from the other major brands

• Baller
Intersting that rudder torque can be minimal and the boat still drive well. I find that to be the case for our boat as well. Counterintuitive but it just is that way. Nice to get a boat that just "works" from the factory without having to tweak it.

• Administrators
@I5boi my boat is 2016 boat #1. It has last year's floor that I very much like. I have heard that there is new stuff in the later boats. IDK

• Baller

What is the 'new floor', a different manufacturer or material? I definitely like the 'teak stripes' compared to the original solid material in the first year boats.

@Horton, I have been told that the 409hp 6.0L will be available for at least more years which really makes for a peppy boat. It will be interesting to see how the 5.3DI performs.... Less weight more HP seems like a good combination!

• Baller
The boats on our lifts at the BroHo are a 2014 5.7 and 2015 6.0. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar the best bang for your buck if you are looking for solid slalom tug. I make this comment as a Regular rated driver who has driven as well as skied behind a 2015 CC open/closed bow, 2014 MC and 2015 Malibu in numerous tournaments. As you can see I base this on driving and skiing behind all the boats. I am not saying CP is any better than any of the other boats, just for that for your money, IMO you cannot do better. OF