Tips for Kids

WBLskier

• Baller
I'm trying to help my daughters and other kids progress in the slalom course. I feel like I don't really know what to tell them to focus/work on as I have to think skiing long line at 25mph and under things are a whole lot different than 34mph and shorter lines. What are the top things you would tell a kid to work on or focus on (one that is already running the course successfully but not yet cutting rope)?

• Baller
It is all about body position behind the boat. Turns are easy when working down the line if you can get your kids in the right position and teach them to lean properly the rest will take care of itself until they are shortening the rope.

First and foremost Have Fun Then Have Fun and last have fun! But seriously I think @chef23 nailed it! body position behind the boat and dont be afraid of the wake! i think the biggest thing with kids once they have the general concept will be how much time they get to spend skiing. Time = progress with youngsters. I also think its important for them to watch better skiers skiing from the observers seat in the boat.

• Baller
You need to be patient. Kids learn at different levels. Some will figure it out quicker than others. Keep it fun. INT utilizes a mini course which can work wonders for getting them used to chasing buoys, then they work on full good side, mini off side and as they progress they get full passes on full course. This seemed to work for many.

• Baller

Lots of free skiing. Don't worry about getting wide, but do have strong wake crossings. Try to explain keeping themselves aligned with the handle and ski at all times. Definitely get rid of long line and go to 15 off. The wakes are ridiculous at long line.