Building a ski lake, is 600m (1968 feet) long enough?

Adamsski26

• Baller_
If you're not at altitude, it's long enough and long enough for just a 6 ball course. If you are at any significant altitude, you would want it longer or use the 8 ball course.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Our lake is exactly 2000', and we are at 5800 feet above sea level. It is plenty long enough, though we do have turn islands to get extra distance on the set up. We drop as soon as the boat clears the 55's. I don't think 16' less on each end would make much of a difference.

• Baller

Plenty of room, but not ideal. Don't think you need an 8-buoy, with today's high-powered boats. Perhaps somewhat of a standard to go by, McCormick's main lake is about 2200 feet. Which has dual-direction jumping, and room for barefoot tournaments. But, I have seen length way down near 1300 feet. Such as at LaPoint Ski Park in Orlando (8-buoy overlapping), and Autore's in Northern New Jersey (2 separate 6-buoy courses). The "record" may have been at the Old Marine World in Redwood City, CA with a 4-buoy in about 1050 feet.

• Baller

That is plenty long for a three event lake if you don't have islands. Trickers will have too short a setup with islands and it is a safety issue for long jumpers hitting the island. You can always simulate @Marco 's island boat path if you want when slaloming. My lakes are that long and we slalom straight in.

Eric

• Baller

There's a lake in northern Indiana which is a 3 event lake with islands and its 1610' from shore to shore. Tight but works.

Our lake in Michigan was no more than 2000' with islands and it was comfortable.

• Baller
It would be great with turn islands. You are kidding yourself if you think straight in will be any good. Mine is 2150' straight in and it's not enough. You can ski on short lakes, but quality goes down. There is a lot to be said for having time to get up and settle in before starting your pass.

• Baller

@MrJones He did spec a 3 event lake. The islands will interfere with tricks and jump - perhaps to the extent of creating a real safety hazard. And you can simulate an island boat path without the islands but you can't hide the island for that long jumper or the tricker putting on a toe harness.

There used to be an AWSA spec requiring 15m (~50 feet) of clearance for the skier. While the rule is no longer in the books, it is a good guideline. The slalom course is 75' wide plus the 50' clearance so 170' is a slalom only lake (23m plus 15m plus 15m = 53m wide). Jump takes more width. Carefully measuring the jump course or just multiplying the 75' jump rope by 2 and adding the 50' clearances on each end you end up needing a 250' wide lake (or 23m rope plus 15m clearance times two = 76m). you can go a bit tighter as the countercut realistically doesn't need 50' of clearance - but the jump side is tight.

Clearly, the entire lake doesn't need to be that wide. Cutouts for the countercut zone and the jump area can be made - engineer it carefully. In California, where water is very scarce, minimizing your lake size is important. Side benefits to a narrow lake are that the water doesn't move as much, rollers dissipate faster, wind has less effect and you don't have to move as much dirt. I put cutouts for the slalom buoys in my lake to keep it as narrow as possible.

Eric

• Baller
On our Jump lake at Ski Texas -- on one end the island is offset the "wrong" way. This allows tricks to run the whole length of the lake, experienced driver-skier combo can turn around without going around island too. Jump works fine -- lake is now 2140 but it used to be 2000 and we've had 190 ft jumpers. @eleeski's comments on shape is good idea for jump, you really need a big area for passing and weird falls that go 45 deg off top of ramp.

• Baller
@Andre we would start at the 55m buoys and go away from the course and spin in - right against the shore. When the boat settled in, it was time to pull out. Now, we can almost go straight in with the 8 buoy course, with a slight dog leg, which actually helps with bow roll. We are still tweaking water levels and set ups, but the lake skis great.