Protective film under bindings - how to clean up?

pgmoore

• Baller

I recently acquired a new-to-me D3 Z7. There appears to be a protective film that someone applied at some point under the binding area. This is fine, except that the film is a mess at the front.

Pictures below.

What should I do about this? Peel it all the way off? Cut the flap off? Try to glue/tape it back down? Something else?

Other than the messy part shown, the rest is in fine shape.

rk242x6fo3ef.jpg

bu5u90poiaht.jpg

• Baller
I would cut it out in the shape of your plates and keep under them. It's probably not needed, but sometimes the screws in the bottom of the plate are not seated properly and can scratch up the ski top. I am probably a little overly protective of my equipment, but it never hurts resale when skis look nice.

• Baller
Like @A_B mentioned I would cut it flush with the binding and then use goo gone to remove the residue, then finally clean with dish soap and water. Goo gone usually very safe but the residue should be removed. Nice find!

• Baller

@A_B @Glydon --> I like the idea of keeping the film under my plates. Thanks for that.

Any ideas how to cleanly cut out in the shape of the plates? I would be afraid of using an exacto-knife as that might slice into the top sheet?

• Baller
I think you could lift up the front excess and trim carefully and not touch the ski. Or mark with a pencil and take it all off and trim and then reapply. If it doesn't work then just pitch it. I have put duct tape over the bottom plate screws to insinuate the top of the ski. Most guys probably don't bother. But I also wash my Zero Turn after mowing too... A little anal retentive about how my equipment looks.