Whats Your Tow Rig?

ozski

• Baller
@BraceMaker December set with nothing but a heater? Seriously, don't know, hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. I've heard of odd glow plug failure in the 6.4 engine, being basically shot out with no other incident. I'm hoping that's the case. It is best case, and I should know better.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

The one I am picking up has a 3500 pound towing capacity. I just tow from the house to the launch ramp and back. 1.3 miles each way. Other than that , and occasional 60 mile round trip to the marina for service(usually once every 4 seasons). I just need something for pulling short distances. If I took my boat on trips I could get something bigger.

• Baller

My 2nd Dodge Durango hemi. Name is Helga. I can’t even feel my ‘bu behind her. This one is an ‘08 and I got her cheap. Great drivetrain but rusts horribly. She’s a mud fence. I can’t even bring myself to post a pic.

But as a teenager car and tow vehicle she does just fine!!

• Baller

Did all my towing last summer with a Tesla Model X 100D. Nothing accelerates faster onto the highway while pulling a boat than this beast. Also, it can tow my Nautique 250-300km on one charge.

Where's my electric boat?

• Baller
@Ajskier Awesome, I have heard alot of good things about the cayenne/touareg/q7 for towing. It looks like I will be picking up a 08 Cayenne Turbo. Beautiful vehicle with power to spare. I have to add an aftermarket hitch as it didn't come with one from factory, but other than that its ready to go.

• Baller

For those considering a Cayenne here is a good article:

https://www.boatingmag.com/luxury-towing-porsche-cayenne-turbo-s

My only concern with Porsche is based on my experience they are highly tuned and engineered to such tight tolerances they lack durability over the long run.

In contrast with my Tundra - I have logged over a 1/2 million miles over 4 Toyota trucks and never once been stranded on the roadside. That is not a coincidence.

Don’t get me wrong Porsche makes amazing cars, and will be getting the all electric mission -e, but for towing I will stick to my bullet proof Tundra.

• Baller
@aspski my Q7 and Touareg were TDI's with the factory tow package. I would do some research on adding the tow package after the fact. I know with the Q7 if it didn't come with the factory tow package, it had the smaller intercooler and there was some coding that had to be done to make some adjustments to the shift points in the tranny and for the electronics to recognize the trailer.

• Baller
@aspski, I don't recall the exact reasons, but I remember after research I came to the conclusion you want a factory tow package on a German SUV if you are going to tow with it because of the PITA factor putting one on later. The wife's ML400 is a great little tow vehicle, but I made sure it had the factory setup before I even considered it.

• Baller

We traded our Cayenne last July for a new Tundra. The P pulled our Prostar fine, I just really needed a pick up for the payload space. I would 100% agree on getting one with the factory tow package. It's more than just a hitch bolted on.p5lzz1av96b5.jpg