Whats Your Tow Rig?

ozski

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Trucks don't do much for me, but I sure like the boats in this thread.

I towed my old 95 Response last year with my 2015 Acadia (just short distances). Not impressed, even with that small boat. May not be related, but just had to replace a rear wheel bearing and it is in the shop now getting a new torque converter.

Rented a 2017 Ford Expedition to tow my "new" 03 Response from Florida to NH. That thing handled it like a champ.

Now I'm using a 2008 Chevy 2500 work/plow truck that seems to have found it's summer niche. Not a big fan of the hand crank windows though ;).

• Baller
We tracked my tow rig at Brainerd International Raceway a few weeks ago...500 hp, 480 lbs/ft torque, awd Mercedes ML63 AMG. Surprised a few cars who were on the track at the same time. She's a 2007 I bought in 2012 certified pre-owned now over 105K miles giving her hell. Can't wait to go back...

• Baller

@Glock - I would call it adequate but not exceptional mostly due to being a bit underpowered for the job. It was very stable. I wanted to be able to load up my gear (not just for water skiing but down to the beach or up to the mountains) and go for a weekend WITH the option to bring my boat if I wanted AND to be something that could function as a daily driver. Not many options if those are your criteria but I think its a good compromise for all of those things. I bought the 4x4 version. It will also essentially provide an extra bedroom when we are up at our cabin in WA. The van is being upfitted right now with basics... upgraded electrical system, solar, sound/insulation package, LED lighting and 12V outlets galore, ventilation, storage cubbies, 3-panel bed, decent stereo, etc. They have become very trendy in my part of the world.

@keithh20skier - yes, I have seen some videos of MB towing an MC.

• Baller
@shansen345 Yeah, casually listing it. I love it but I want to ski year round and that probably means salt water for me. Boat is WAY too nice to put in salt. Won't get back up to the lake in WA until next summer. Toying with the idea of going after an older 176 that might fit in my garage. I have the 206 at my dad's place.

• Baller

Beater Suburban. (Which is also the name I want to use for a band of loud obnoxious Dad grunge/garage rockers I would like to form.)

gpoylnpqajks.jpg

I would like to upgrade to an extended cab 250 or 2500 level diesel pickup, brand as yet undetermined, so that we can put a good camper/topper on there and still pull the boat. The 8700' pass we climb to the north lakes puts a lot of wear on that old Suburban.

• Baller

Also use suburbans for most of our towing.

Any of you test drive an X1? They're Euro tow rated for 2000kg with invisihitch - that's a ~4400 lb tow rating.

I usually drive past where the boat is stored to the house get the suburban drive back to the boat, hitch it and tow/launch then drive the trailer back to storage. Total of ~30 miles twice a year - so looking at Daily Drivers that are up for the task.

• Baller_

Left to right: 2013 Chevy Suburban, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2001 Chevy Suburban. All 4WD.

The Tahoe did most of the work, as it hauled my boat 100 miles one-way a few times per week for 8 years during my club membership in Southwest Michigan. Fantastic truck, legendary 350 V8, great torque curve for towing. I always towed in 3rd gear to avoid any strain with Overdrive and I never had any transmission work done. That truck never even broke a sweat, even pulling my Prostar 205. After almost 22 years and 276,000 miles, I sold it a couple months ago, when my vehicle fleet reached 5 (with only 3 drivers). It did feel like I betrayed it, but I also wouldn't have been able to bear eventually scrapping it. I was still towing with it at the time of the sale.

The 2001 Suburban is closing in on 17 years with us and solid as ever.

The 2013 has the strength and effortless pull that reminds me of the Tahoe. Both have the 3.42 axle.

pu4h451r2s2x.jpg

98bcp01jhx3b.jpg

mkas2epi3v2b.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier I had a 96 Suburban that I sold a few years ago with 334,000 miles on the original motor and still going. Rebuilt the transmission at about 165k, other than that it was just routine maintenance, ball joints, brakes, door hinge bushings, etc. Same color as your Tahoe.

Replaced it with a 2000 Excursion V10 2wd.

vhq1hciqvvyw.jpg