Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Whats Your Tow Rig?

ozski

• Baller

After more than a decade of Toyota ownership I don't feel the latest offerings are as good as the alternatives so I've just placed

an order for a 2015 Jeep GC Limited. At least in Australia the Jeep GC is now the top selling SUV in the category so I took one for a drive and decided to take a punt on one for the next few years to see how we get along. Going with the diesel / 8 speed auto, I reckon its going to be a really good tow rig with all that torque.. Plenty of people giving me grief about US built cars already :smile:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_

Don't let them give you too much grief. This is my 1996 Tahoe that I bought new 20 years ago.

262,000 miles and I tow the boat 200 miles every weekend. US built cars seem to be OK.

edi19usubhds.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@ozski I use a 2004 X8 Crewman. I can't live without a ute so options are limited unless I spend $50k on a new diesel Hilux, Navara etc. The 5.7 Gen 3 V8 with four wheels give a lot of torque, really thirsty though.

• Baller

ipyoa1b4fuv4.jpg

@ozski You'll be pleasantly surprised. Even though it's US built with a European developed drive-train, it's one of the best vehicles I've owned. Fuel efficient and tows really well. I got the Limited, but upgraded to the Quadra-lift (self levelling) suspension. Best value for money SUV in Aust. at the moment. I test drove a Touraeg, loved it, but the Jeep did everything at a cheaper price.

• Baller

2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. 2nd tundra I have owned, first one (2002) had almost 200,000 miles on it with only 2 oxygen sensors that I swapped out on my own, and only front brake pads! Total of $210 dollars in parts for almost 200,000 miles........... That is why I will keep buying Toyota! No american car company can even come close on that one, in my opinion.

With that said, you don't buy a tundra for the sparkling fuel economy.........

• Baller
@aussiemc Glad to hear your happy with it, I'm trading a 12 Prado Altitude diesel which I think is selling purely on reputation. I can't think of one area that it betters the Jeep GC except the Toyota reputation..

• Baller

Just switched to a 2014 Chevy Silverado 5.7 last year. Nice truck, barely notice the boat behind it.

Actually pulled a 19.5 Mastercraft with a 2.4 L Toyota Tacoma for several years. It pulled it up the ramp with no problem; did just find until I would try to climb a hill at freeway speed and would fall flat on it's face. Glad to hear some success stories with V6 Toyota as I really would rather drive a smaller truck.

• Baller

2006 4Runner V8, bought new in 06. 112K on it. Air bags in the rear. Body on frame construction with an incredibly reliable and powerful drivetrain. I have the opinion that it's the best mid-size platform out there for towing with the V8 and 5spd trans in it. We love it and it hasn't given us one lick of trouble. Plan to drive it into the ground. Be on the lookout for these if you want a great used deal on an all-around tow rig/SUV.

• Baller
I use a GC Limited with the Standard V6 and it does quiet well. I wish they had a towing mode for the 8 speed transmission but overall it does just fine. Had an ML350 before and it towed great but I find the Jeep a nicer overall vehicle.

• Baller
My Dad's Chrysler Town and Country. It does the job for launching, and an occasional trip to the marina. I would not use it for towing on a long trip though. The boat is on the lift all season long. When it comes time to trade in my Pontiac G6 I am thinking a Ford Edge, Jeep Cherokee, or Chevrolet Equinox. GM I have found are cheaper to fix..

2013 Pathfinder platinum, I chose it because it is the most fuel effecient vehicle that can tow the boat. (the explorer is slightly better but the initial $15k premium never pays off). I drive this mostly on road trips for work and rarely towing, so its barely adequate towing is still OK

pmz9tgcyeed5.jpg

• Baller_

2001 Sport Trac with 241,000 miles. A few of those with the 196 in tow. Baught it new in 01. Was made to tow with oil cooler, different tranny and full tow package vs the standard Trac. Been a good truck.

q397bmgh8q00.jpg

• Baller
2011 Ford Explorer XLT with 4WD and tow package. Pulls our 4,100 lbs of boat and trailer pretty well for a V6. If I was pulling a 200, CP, Prostar, or TXi I don't think there would be any problem pulling it 75 mph and 65 mph up hills. As it is now I can pull our boat about 60 mph up decent hills.

• Baller_
@Nick Sullivan holy crap that is awesome. Brings back memories as well. In 1975 my father special ordered a short box 4 door crew cab Ford (very rare back then) but common now. He had a custom camper built where they extended the over hang above the cab just passed the windshield of the truck (a one off for sure back then). He had the rear bumper of the truck tube fitted to the frame and it could be extended to accommodate the lengthy over hang off the back of the camper. We towed our 1965 Glastron ski boat all over the place. We actually got pulled over by a state trooper once who wanted to do nothing more then figure out what that rig was all about. Thanks for the memories and LOVE IT!!

• Baller

MB ML63 AMG(505 hp/480lbs-ft torque)...don't even know anything is back there towing.

Prior vehicles that towed great were Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango with hemi v8's.

Nice boats in the rig pics above.

@horton waterski mag did a rig contest many yrs ago...perhaps a BOS rig contest with tow vehicle and boat?