Handle Length/Adjustment

GOODESkier

• Baller

I am using the Masterline Custom Carbon Handle. This is the second one I have bought. Pre-Ski it measured really short even under the 40 lbs of load. (That number might be off a few pounds....).

I really don't see it stretching 4-5 inches after I ski a bunch on it. Any idea why they come through considerable shorter than the 4' 11" +/- 1" ? Other than they wouldn't want to come in long?

• Baller

I LOVE Brenda's handles (aka In-Tow), and whole-heartedly recommend them, but I have found that she also tends to make them toward the short side, and I was really surprised that I was supposedly the first person ever to ask for a knot that is relatively easy for me to adjust myself (with a fid but without additional expertise). I would think every skier who is stuck at -38, -39, or -41 wants their handle to measure between 4'11.5" and 5'0", which can only be achieved by adjusting it after some usage.

So anyhow, she did do that for me on my newest handles, so presumably others can also ask for Than's Easier Adjustment feature.

• Baller

@GOODESkier is that a spectra string or poly. I think the Spectra stretches a lot.

I see some skiers having to tie knots in the skinny stuff to shorten it.

If you guys are skiing L, you may want to be careful about how close to the max you get.

When some of them get wet and hotter in the sun they can grow just enough for a DQ.

Big Dog and Cypress a few years ago had a few close calls, and the skiers had checked before their ride.

• Members
Yeah Brenda's handles (and everything else) are spot on. All three of the handles I've gotten from her were a perfect 4'11.5" after a few sets. www.intowonline.com All of mine are spectra, a lot of stretch out of the box but no change that I've noticed after a season of use in a wide range of temperatures. If you aren't getting an intow handle to the right length, maybe you need to put in a little more umph behind the boat! ;) j/k

• Baller_

If you always carry a short piece of rope in your bag, just three or four inches will do, and a fid, a too long handle can easily be brought into tolerance without tying a knot. You may only need to splice in an inch, but if your rope piece is too short, it is difficult to use. The splice makes the handle line wider and thus shorter.

In Tow handles and ropes are awesome.

Lpskier

• Baller

I would not say In Tow are spot on. At the Hancock tournament I shortened 1 and lengthened 1 In Tow handle. All were in open division. If you believe that masterline are short just cut some of the back feed out and this will lengthen the handle. Or ask to tie the handle long when placing the order.

Also remember that you can use 5 different boards to get the length and you will get 5 different measurements.

If the handle was an inch short you could easily loosen up the knot and get an extra inch out of it but at 5 inches you most likely will have too short of a bury after messing with it. I would call up Masterline and see what they say.

Spectra can be tricky to get right while making the handle. It isn't so much that it stretches but that everything sort of settles in. They are normally made long because it is really easy to stick some rope inside the braid to reduce the length where as making it longer is tough. Knotting it though to reduce length is a bad idea, it will drastically reduce the strength of the rope.

• Baller

Masterline does not tie there handles 5 inches short that I know for a fact. Spectra can be stretches until worn in or the air is pushes out of the rope. That is the case with all ropes. lf somebody got a handle that is 5 inches too short that was a mistake.

One other factor not taken into account is the weather. If it is cold the rope will not stretch very much if at all. If warm or hot it will stretch more.

• Baller

I have a rope under load (BEFORE skiing on it EVER-BRAND NEW) that is 5-6" SHORT! I should have taken pictures. I skied on it 1 set through 3@38 and will re-measure it after I get a couple more sets on it. I just find it hard to believe it is going to stretch 5"? I will adjust if needed after a few more sets..........

Just saying, this is the 2nd Masterline handle that was this short in 2 years and the 3rd (A spectra handle 2 years ago) that was also on the short end by a considerable amount.

Just figure maybe they should pre-stretch the handle as well.......

• Baller
@Goodeskier...in a different, but very recent thread, you posted "I switched to MASTERLINE rope and handle last year and couldn't be happier." Seems like you're not thrilled with your handle anymore. What's the final verdict?

• Baller

I've been using Masterline tournament ropes for years. I don't even check them until after 5 or so sets. If it's they're top of the line tournament rope, I haven't had to fix one yet. I've probably checked over 30 of them and they were all well within tolerance after they get "skied in" a few sets. I've got several of they're handles as well but I string my own handles so I know where they measure.

I just got a new tournament rope, after the first set, it was a few inches shorter than my 1 year old rope (which measured nearly perfect). I'll check it after this weekend and let you know.

• Baller

@Onside135 I am still very happy with the handle. I am just saying/asking...... I wonder why they don't pre-stretch the handles. I am OK with adjusting on my own, just curious why? Curious if anyone else has seen them short and not stretch on their own. 5" is a lot to stretch. The last one I adjusted out to correct length and it measured spot on for the Big Dawg BROHO.

Like the movie "Big Hero 6". I am satisfied with my handle..............

Having re-tied numerous handles with Spectra- I would suggest that it doesn't really 'stretch' much at all. It will 'move' a bit as knots tighten and braids seat, and then stop. It is not really very springy then at all. Polypro has an allowable 2.6% +/- 0.4% elongation under a load of about 250 lbs. (per AWSA rules.) That elongation is not permanent and it remains a bit springy. Anyway- you can stretch handles and ropes all you want, but short line skiers can generate over 400 lbs of tension and whatever the handles and ropes are made of they will move some after they get 'broken in'. YMMV

• Baller
I don't see how you can adjust out 5" short. You'll end up,with practically no loop. If it's 5" short I'd send it back. My most recent Masterline handle came at about 4'10.5" and stretched to avout 4'11.25". I'm a wimpy puller and weigh only 155 though.

• Baller
I finally got around to remeasuring this handle again tonight. I have roughly 5-7 sets on the handle and have run 38' twice with it. It still was about 4" short tonight. I added a hair and got it to 4' 11" under 40+ lbs. It just still seems weird that it was that much too short to begin with. Figure it is safe with an inch to play with in warmer and wetter conditions.

• Baller
I've had my In-tow spectra for a few months now. Really like the feel of the handle. Measured it yesterday and exactly 4'11". The tubing for abrasion resistance could be better though.

• Baller
Going out on a limb here, gonna guess there is a very small percentage of people that would even measure, right? Maybe a slightly greater percentage that would have it done at a tournament, right? So who knows how many recreational skiers out there have handles of every brand that aren't close to in tolerance, right?