Did you slow the boat to get into shorter line lengths?

cragginshred

• Baller
I ran my 1st -28 this past Jan then had an injury for most of March. The past 3 weeks I have ramped it back up and feel good! I only backed down .2 rpms last weekend to get around 3 ball at -28. The video revealed some very impatient handle control pulling it in ect. which tells me I was rushed and had not time to be patient in the turn. I am thinking backing the speed down .4-5 this weekend. What are some thoughts out there regarding this and how much you might slow it down just getting into -28?

• Baller
I've seen a lot of people do it with success. For them, they would back it down either 1/2 or 1mph to get accustomed to the shorter rope without the added brain chaos that comes along with it at full speed. Or sometimes I've seen them slow it down to get a different perspective on the gates and one. Congrats on your new line length

This has brought me great success with shorter line's! Rossi got me into this approach and it has proven to be beneficial. I would slow it down no more than 1mph. Once i start running that i would slowly increase by .2mph incraments until i am running it at full speed. this got me through -35 @ 34.2

• Baller

I've also been to where I can run an existing pass hot before going to the next one at tolerance. A lot of my training 35 off and longer passes are at 16.6 to 16.7, and then we run 38 spot on.

I also do this b/c I'm on PP and sometimes then when I go to a ZO tourney site it feels a little slower and more relaxed and I usually ski better with that mind set. If I'm uncomfortable usually I over-turn, over-pull, over-ski.

• Baller

Hard one to answer, cause I think I have tried every approach!

I almost think that "owning" rope length "X" will help you run "Next Shorter X". In my head, all the way down the line, when I really owned 28 and could never miss, then I got pretty far down 32. Then I would start running 32 more often. Then when I really owned 32, I would get occasionally through 35. Then when I really owned 35, I would get pretty far down 38 and even run it a fair bit. Thinking that all the work goes into the pass before you start missing or need to slow the boat. Work at that rope length 90% of the time.

It kinda all starts with running a full pass and then you get 2 balls at the next shorter for a period of time. With that said, I think it is best to do what you need to do to own the rope length at full speed, and not just trying to run the next shorter pass. Likely the reason for needing to slow down is a crutch to overlook technique and just "get you through".

VOLUME over INTENSITY will get you to the next shorter line length!

• Baller
Slowing the boat can be a good and bad. The good is that you have a little more time coming into the buoy to figure things out. The bad is that you have a little less energy from the boat to whip you wide during the power window in the lean.

• Baller

Good to hear the progress man.

For me, slowing the boat makes it a little easier to get to my PB line length but ultimately doesn't change anything on my hardest line length which at this time is 35off... I tried dropping the speed a little at 28 and 32 off as well without any progress. In fact, I feel like it crippled me a little because I was running 2 passes at 34.2mph and running 33.5mph for the next 6+ passes trying to learn the new length and it freaked me out/messed up my timing a little when raising the speed back up.

Free skiing at the harder line lengths to understand rope dynamics and ropes control helps me. More course time at my hardest line is good too unless I can't even turn 1 ball. Maybe it works for some but being able to run 28 off or 32 off consistently doesn't make me better at the next line length.

All that said... Do what works for you short of running over buoys and getting hurt. I try nearly every trick each time I make it to the next line length.