Skiing near Syracuse, NY

Marco

• Baller
My daughter got a promotion in her company that will include moving to Syracuse, NY. @Than_Bogan and the rest of you North Easterners...Do you have any information on any of the lakes in the area? I see that Pecks Pond, Bowen's Pond, and Delta Lakes Water Ski Club are in the neighborhood. Do any of them accept new members and have a club boat? Any information is much appreciated!

• Baller
Marco, I can't answer your specific questions on the lakes/clubs you mentioned.....however we are always looking for a third person for free skiing on our Oneida Lake just north of Syracuse. Please send me a PM if she would be interested or if I may help out with any Syracuse information. Hope she likes snow!!!!! Jon B.

• Baller
Thanks @JonB. She is pretty addicted to course skiing, but I'll pass along your generous offer. She is used to snow, growing up in the Colorado mountains. I don't think that she would like the kind of snow you had last winter, though!

• Baller

Thanks folks!

@hacker Thanks for the offer but hold off for the moment on contacting the guys at Peck's. I just now found out she might turn down the offer and stay put. I'll revive this thread if she does decide to make the move.

• Baller
Marco, If she does come to Syracuse, I have three daughters that live and work here that could help with the transistion to the area. They have moved & relocated a few times and know what it is like. Maybe a different perspective on the area and where to stay......than her new co-workers. Always a hard decision to relocate!!!

• Baller

The guys at Pecks are good guys I don't have any phone numbers but I am sure they will help out. Hidden pass is outside of Rochester jd pretty far from Syracuse.

Pangaea is probably the same distance as HiddenPass and George will always pull skiers.

• Baller_

Danny Peckham is the owner of Peck's Pond. Danny's contact info from the Eastern Region Tournament Guide is printed below. Peck's is a nice place to ski. The water is warm and the members are great guys (I don't know of any current female members.) Lots of PBs have come off Peck's Pond.

Peck's has a new boat for 2015, and will host its usual two tournaments this summer, one in late June and one in early September.

As noted above, both Hidden Pass and Pangaea are in the neighborhood (one east, one west), but not close enough for daily skiing. On the other hand you can ski six tournaments a year and never drive more than two hours from Syracuse.

I'm not sure about Bowen's Pond (located within a half hour or so of Peck's). It used to be a twice a year tournament site, but the tournaments stopped and the Bowen brothers (a couple of very solid skiers) kind of disappeared several years ago. If Danny's club is full, ask him about the Bowen brothers and he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hank's Pond in Central Square is another former tournament site in the immediate Syracuse area. It used to belong to former AWSA president Hank Miner. Hank is deceased, and I don't know what is going on there now. There hasn't been a tournament there in at least a decade, and I don't know anyone that skis there, and I'll stick my neck out and say I know 99% of the NY tournament ski crowd. Again, Danny may be able to help you.

I have never heard of the Delta Lake Ski Club.

Danny's contact info as it appears in the tournament guide is:

Dan Peckhan

11639 rt176

Cato, NY 13033

315-882-1579

dan@shamrockinnovations.net

I hope to see your daughter skiing in NY this summer!

John Wilkins

Lpskier

• Baller

Thanks everyone for all the awesome feedback. At the end of the day, she decided she is not going to make the move.

All of this incredible feedback reinforces my belief that the skiing community is a special place to be, and thanks to @Horton for facilitating BoS, which gives us all the opportunity to communicate. Such an awesome resource!

• Baller

My son is graduating from college on Memorial Day weekend from Hamilton which is right by Utica- any good ski sites nearby that I can take him to for a day's visit? It appears that Pangea has been reorganized so drop-bys are somewhat discouraged.

Thanks much!!!