Best epoxy to plug stripped jump skis

msuws

I'm on Michigan State's water ski team and our bindings got ripped out on our jump skis... again. Just wondering if anyone has advice on the best product to plug the holes? Any other repair advice is welcome. thanks

The way I would do it is with an epoxy resin and hardener like this http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Epoxy_Resins

You should be able to find it in a smaller quantity than a quart. Normally you can find small packets at Home Depot.

Since college jump skis take a lot of abuse I would go ahead and put threaded inserts in. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=wtoryo

Doing it this way will cost more than just filling in the holes but should last for longer.

Also, I would stay away from polyester resins if you don't know what type of foam is in the ski.

• Baller

JB Weld mixed with either fiberglass or steel wool fills holes effectively. Screws will grip reasonably well.

I have fixed similar pulled out jumpers by installing inserts. Inserts have bigger and grippier threads going into the ski. JB Weld the inserts in place. Use the smallest diameter insert you can find (there are two sizes of 8-32 brass inserts). This way if you pull out the insert, you can go to the larger size. Use antisieze (the silver stuff from auto parts stores) on the machine screws to preserve the inserts.

Wait, the jumpers are shot. Send them to me and I will fix them for one of the local college teams. I'd even be willing to send them back to you. College skiing rocks!

Eric

I'm having extra issues because the skis have been drilled in probably 4 times and poorly plugged or not plugged at all. Thinking about using these skis as a shorter ski for less experienced jumpers to just do ride overs on.

@eleeski If you're serious about that offer I might contact you if I can't fix them with this information.

• Baller

@msuws I have 8-32 brass inserts and live just a little north of Ann Arbor. You are welcome to them if you want to attempt the repair on your own. I bought 25 of them to fix a ski a long time ago and probably used 2.

As others mentioned I used JB weld with anti-seize on the internal threads with a sacrificial screw in them to set the insert in the ski. It's pretty easy, you just have to make sure you don't drill through the bottom of the ski. I just made a stop on the drill bit with electrical tape and set the depth equal to the insert.

@msuws I've gone through and fixed our entire showski teams jump skis, jb wield is fine for a bit then it turns to mushy puddy. The best Ive come across is wetted cotton balls with true boat building epoxy, then using toothpicks to push the wetted piece of cotton ball into the holes. But you have to be careful when you screw back into the plugged hole, you'll need to pre-drill otherwise the epoxy will crack.

If you are making new holes I suggest you injecting some wet epoxy in the pre-drilled holes then screwing the screws, permanent seal.

• Baller

@msuws I enjoy fixing skis for college kids. The offer to fix your skis are genuine. I'm pretty clever at getting things working so I am a good last resort. Even if it takes a couple new laminations of carbon...

PM me if you need it.

Eric

• Baller

@Commuterfisher these are M4 brass wood inserts I buy them at a local hardware store but I have also found them on eBay. You can search for 8/32 wood inserts instead of m4. D3 and fluid motion sell inserts too but they are more expensive.

Try to use the words "8/32 wood inserts" or "thread inserts" at your search.

You can drive them in the ski with a screwdriver or put them upside down with the use of a screw and a nut and then you have the slick looks as shown in the pictures.

I will post pictures of the skis later in the week, but I am concerned with the fact that there are 3 or 4 holes right next to each other so I suspect if I use inserts instead of redrilling the little bit of material that is in between 2 of the holes could break and I would have an even bigger problem. I may have to post pictures if this doesn't make sense.

• Baller

Another solution might be to use studs. I haven't personally used them but I have seen glue on tabs with threads sticking up. Use a nut to hold the binding plate on. I don't know where to get them but they have been mentioned here in other old threads. Reflex might make them.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski I'm using studs since 2008 and they work great. Reflex call them "Reflex Bonds".

Personally I would put Bonds if the ski is new and has no inserts, instead of drilling it.

Also it is something that is not very difficult to make by yourself by using an old plate (aluminum or composite) and stainless steel countersank m4 or 8.32,

I'm posting pictures.

• Baller

@msuws if the holes are at the right place I don't see why not to use inserts, 8.32 inserts are big enough to fill the stripped hole.

If Bonds is your only option, yes you can put them over a hole. Buy them at Reflex and follow their instructions. Put more than 6 fro every boot, mount everything together before putting the glue, measure many times,keep everything in place using masking tape.

Mark everything, take everything off, sand the surface well, clean with alcohol pads, put everything back, measure again and when you are 100% sure that your measurements are right starts gluing the bonds into place.

Do two at a time because glue has only few seconds of using time, hold them down with masking tape for 20 minutes, then repeat.

You can take a plate and cut square peaces and make your own bonds or you can use a whole composite plate, put 3M adhesive tape on one side and screws sticking out on the other side, mout it on the ski and put your boots on using nuts to keep them on.

Glue that works with bonds is the 302 A+B.

If you need more info on mounting boots with Bonds, I can send you pictures of the whole process step by step.

Good luck,

Alex,

@msuws I'm from Brighton and if you are not comfortable repairing these yourself I would gladly help you with the repair. If you don't have an adequate space to do it in East Lansing I would be willing to bring them back to my shop and do the repair myself (after a set on the river of course). I know that those jumpers have had bindings rip out of them a couple times but the last time I saw them they definitely looked repairable.

~Ryan

@MattP The skis are Connelly HC 2000s I think. I will be able to get at them this weekend to post pictures.

I believe inserts are plenty big enough to fill the hole, but the issue is these skis have been stripped a few times so there are a few holes within close proximity of each other, so there may be an issue with the inserts being too big...

I need to look at them another time and post pictures on here before I can make a decision. Bear with me since studying for finals and fixing with skis don't mix. Thanks for the help

• Baller

Fill the holes with an epoxy (or JB weld) glass mix (tape the holes, flip the skis over and warm the epoxy to get a good solid fill). Sand things smooth on top so the studs bond well and you should be fine. Make sure the studs are very clean and roughed up so the epoxy bonds well.

A prerelease is something to avoid but I bet your pulled out holes came from crashes. It's OK to have the bindings explode in a good crash even if they pull out an insert. But don't ever have the bindings release and cause the crash.

If you do go with studs, let us know how well they work and if there are bonding issues. Inspect whatever repair you make frequently.

Eric