Need Advice on Placement of Rock on My New Lake

T-fromTO

• Baller

So the second phase of digging has been done with the turn island etc. My question now is about the placement of rock on the shores. I am for sure going to line and put rock on the island, but how important is it for the shore surrounding the island? I kind of think I should do it but I have someone who is suggesting that it isn't necessary. It would save me A LOT of money if I only did the island.

The soil is heavy clay and the slopes are not ideal at about 1-5 due to space restraints. Any thoughts/suggestions from other lake owners would be appreciated.sozspqydv938.jpg

• Baller
Although your dealing with virgin soil since you dug instead of filled, I would definitely put 1's and 2's around the outer edges of the lake! Take them out to the front side of your island just to be safe. I walked a lake that I was involved with in Montana a couple of days ago, and if I was the owner, I'd be very happy that I had spent the money. I took a couple pics, if they show anything, I'll post them. We had a fill of 225' across the bottom that ended up being 22' tall and 50' wide at the top of the berm that looked just as good as the day we started adding water. While in the building stage, it's always cheaper to do it right versus bringing equipment in at a later date. The guys you have there now are just trying to get a few more bucks out of you. The guys you bring in later know that your desperate!

• Baller

We have clay banks and after 30+ years of ownership, I will tell you to put 1's and 2's down now. You need a much longer slope than 5 :1 for them to not continually erode and get scooped out by waves. They will form a C and backwash will become an issue over time. Much easier to put rocks in place now. And I would do the whole island with more on the course sides for general wind/wave protection.

Just my 2c.

• Baller
Definitely do your island and use fabric prior to rock. The water will shoot thru the Rock and erode from behind. You can always add rock lateer to shore lines, but it will be much harder to get it to the island.

• Baller_

Absolutely add rock to the shore. The wakes will be bigger from the boat turning, so the erosion will be worse than in the course area. A 5:1 slope with no rock will become a wall with dirt washing into the bottom very quickly.

As the saying goes, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later".

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Definitely rock all around the ends and a bit into the lake at least, enough to cover the start/spin area. Higher and lower than you would think, particularly if you are allowing Lake Destroyers (aka, weighted and wakeboard boats). Putting it in later is a real PITA and really difficult to get in as good, I know from experience. 5 yrs from now you will think it the best money you spent.

• Baller

@Steven Haines Looks like your rock doesn't touch the waterline. Is your water low or that is how it's supposed to be?

Also, I didn't sell the topsoil to anyone. The land was a soya bean farm previously and there was only 4-6" of topsoil. It ended up getting rolled in with all the other dirt.

• Baller
With 5:1 and clay you should definitely rock the shore around the island. If you don't now you will later. I strongly suggest filter fabric down first. We had closer to 10:1 and clay and it lasted about 10 years before we had a nasty lip around the whole island. We have since made it bullet proof with filter fabric and 4-6" crushed stone and are really happy.

• Baller
I would definitely add rock along all the shorelines. We have a lake in clay soils with 10:1 slopes, and initially only installed erosion fabric. It didn't work, and we ended up putting 6" rock along all the shores and around the islands. It would have been much easier had we done it before we filled the lake. We put about 2' above and below waterline.

• Baller

Around the islands and the turns (across from the island) the 3"-6" angular rock is good. It locks in better than Round Rock. The round rock is good because it doesn't create back wash. It's amazing how much even the bigger rip rap gets moved over the years from the boat waves.

It also helps not to have any wake or surf boats on your lake.