Prostar vs Nautique

rodltg2

• Baller
Glad they fixed the tranny for '15. The '14 5.7 we tested was a slug out of the hole. The boat had such cool features, we were just bummed that it rode just like the 9 other Prostars we've owned over the years...kidney bruising ride on bumpy public water. A great boat for private lake use however.

• Baller
That sad pic and dog are mine, unfortunately. Our ice is gone and we've finally had a chance to get out and make sure all is well after a looong winter! I'd love to ski the new Prostar to be able to compare to the 200.

• Baller
@gginco I second Scot's comment. We are at 4500 in elevation with a 2100 lake and the boat (a 2014) struggled to get to speed at 34. No way you'd get up to 36. Wake is great and layout but it seemed the steering required a lot of input.

• Baller
I drove a 6.2L 2015 a couple weeks ago and it's definitely stronger than the '14. I don't know if they made changes to the 6.2L but it's certainly seems to have more hole shot. It doesn't seem to have that ultra buttery wake anymore though. Give up one to get the other I guess. I also noticed how crazy loud it is. You can't have a conversation without yelling "what?" at least 3 times in 16.95 seconds. Still a beautiful boat but is $80k realistic for a boat that seems to under perform in too many places?

• Baller
Other than alternative propping by some and the saddle bag hinges catching fraying the rope, what other major tweaks did the 200 undergo after 2010? I believe my brother's '12 has the same prop as the 2010 did from the factory.

• Baller
I have now skied my 6.2L twice and pulled my wife twice. Observations - First, I am a horsepower junkie!!! I love the engine. The boat feels light and comes out and accelerates like a rocket -- fastest inboard I've ever been in. Two, the wakes are even better than last year. Three, steering is better. Less load on the rudder and much smoother feeling. Did I mention that I love the feel of 450hp???

• Baller
@Onside135 -- you are correct. After getting the 5.7L it became clear that I wasn't getting enough speed to barefoot, particularly not with two at a time. I worked out an agreement with my dealer to swap for a new 2015 with the 6.2L. For slalom the 5.7L was fine. It felt great to ski behind and I really liked the pull. However, as a horsepower junkie at heart, I am thrilled with the bigger engine.

• Baller

@MISkier not sure the transmission applies to the 6.2. Would be curious to hear about the transmission and the 5.7 for 2015. Regardless a 6.2 that is lighter than a 5.7 and has 450 hp should move the Prostar out pretty well! I like the more powerful engine option in the CC200 as well...a buddy in FL has one and it rocks...drove one of @Jody_Seal's as well. Awesome.

Looking forward to laying some 2 and 4 ball wood to @razorskier1's new ride. I liked his 2014 a lot but thought it needed more juice and less rudder...sounds like both of my critiques are solved with his 6.2 2015. Disclaimer; horsepower junkie runs in the family...I've never wished for less horsepower boat or auto...but often wished for more.

• Baller_

I had a 8.1 Python in a 98 Ski Nautique.

No the Super charged 550 was never even considered as an option in the 200 due to realistic common sense Liability!

Even if ski Flying were to become prevalent again Nautique boats if they did participate with the program in a supercharged package it would never leave their sight and would stay in the hands of factory personnel and only anointed driver's would pilot them.

• Baller
I do like the 6.0L in my CP as well but it does seem there are 'diminishing returns' adding horsepower in almost all these boats if you aren't at high altitude, pulling tournaments or tandem bare footing is the 400+HP worth the price, most people are more than happy with the 5.7 aren't they?

• Baller

@swc5150 Nothing major. Just little things. The hinges. Different fuel filler because the original managed to puke fuel everywhere no matter how you filled it up. ECM updates because of the atrocious fuel economy. ZO updates that were specific to the 200 hull. We're now on the 3rd factory prop for 5.7s. If your brother's has the original prop, that thing is a turd. He needs to put the current prop on it.

The point being, no cutting edge product is going to be 100% in it's first year.

• Baller_
I spent the better part of today behind the wheel of the 2015 Nautique 200 to be used as the slalom boat at the Masters. Apparently it need to be broken in, though we called it "water skiing." Totally sweet. For all you folks that have been complaining about the throttle the last couple years, the new throttle is a thing of beauty. The ZO display takes a little figuring out, but once you learn your way around, it is very nice and easy to use. Changing speeds and settings is much easier and quicker than with the old display. The only thing I didn't like was having to get out of the boat at the end of the day!

Lpskier

• Baller

@shaneh What's the advantage of the latest 5.7 prop for the 200? Is it just fuel economy? My bro's sucks gas for sure, but pulls like a beast, and jumps out of the hole. We're 34mph skiers, so the motor isn't working quite as hard compared to 36. At 36 the engine is screaming.

Loves me our Nautiques, but as far as new hulls, I think the TXi is the most efficient.

• Baller_

@lpskier , How do you know you used the Masters Slalom Boat? I thought I had the Masters Slalom boat!

No just kidding!

Please keep in mind that we do have the three units designated for the US Masters out in the field right now being skied with and to have some breakin time put on them. I had one of them at lake 38 this past Sunday (it's ok now Keith the cat's out of the bag) also at Picko's last Wed and it is a great skiing boat. But to be candid the boat's when final prepped for the Masters will have real cool wraps as each event has a title sponsor and until then we will decide what boat will pull what event. We would like to think that our ski boats are very consistent and that any one of them are ready to be utilized in any of the three event's at the Master's.

• Baller_
Our 13 5.7 200 has a 654 on it and feels like it is where it is supposed to be. We have a 422 that we will try when the water warms but this one feels pretty good. We have zero issues with speed. It feels like a big 196 that doesn't handle as well around docks and tight quarters.

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal Regardless, getting out of the driver's seat for the last time was like putting my girlfriend on an airplane for a year in the Peace Corps. Very sweet boat and I'll miss driving it. It was certainly the nicest Nautique I've driven and I've owned several well set up boats and driven a lot more. Then again, I keep thinking that Nautique couldn't build a better boat, and every year they do!

Lpskier