Setting up a course on a public lake

susanm1ski

• Baller
Hey everyone! I'm looking into setting up a course on our public lake. We have permission from the Corps (who own the lake) to do it, but that's about as far as we've gotten. What are some relatively inexpensive systems that are good to use on a public lake? Bouys? We haven't set up a course before so I could use some advice! I definitely don't want to set up a course improperly and put anyone at risk of serious injury. In addition, what should we look for in a specific location on the lake to place it?

• Baller_

As for location in the lake, try to find a place that has at least 6 feet of water at all turn buoys and basically all throughout the course area, even in the driest summer months. You need at least 1800 feet of boat-driveable distance and 1900 or more is better. A north-south run is helpful in keeping the sun out of your eyes for early morning and late evening sets. Try to run it parallel to a shoreline that receives the most wind protection from your prevailing winds in the area. Make sure to set it a safe distance from shore. I think the turn buoys should be no closer than 75 feet from shore - further away if it gets shallow just outside of your turn buoys.

If you can get a Google Earth location of the lake you are using, I am sure many of us can help with potential course locations. Post some coordinates from Google Earth and we'll do some research.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

What @MISkier said. Especially the EZ Slalom part. Very well built course, EZ to maintain, and can put the whole thing in or take it out in an hour once you learn how. If you can find anyone in your parts that is launching a course for the season offer to help them put it in and you'll learn everything you need to know.

• Baller
It's lake Strom Thurmond aka Clark's hill lake. It's on the border between SC and Georgia. Luckily, we are on a small finger of the lake so it is fairly protected and not too busy there. Unfortunately the lake is not at a constant level since the corps use it for electricity production and whatnot. It's generally pretty full during spring and summer but they empty it significantly in the fall and winter. I'd say the part of the lake we are on is about 15-20 feet deep, with a shallower cove in the back.

• Baller

EZ for sure!! I've had one for a couple years and it's great held up through a couple days of 25-30mph winds and 4ft whitecaps. Other then being cut by fishermen 3 times it's awesome. Mine needs 8ft or more to float accurately.

@Ed_Obermeier the last time it was cut they either took or we lost our 55 gate, I was wondering if you could pass on the dimensions of the pipe and ropes so we can replace ours? Thanks

• Baller_

I would put the course in the location marked by the red line below. I am assuming you have prevailing westerly winds, as we do here in Michigan. Tuck it as close to the western shore as you can without getting the turn buoys closer than 75 feet and make sure the depth is at least 6 feet all the time.

whengycwatu3.jpg

• Baller
Okay, thanks @MISkier!! @DmaxJC_ski , what kind of EZ course do you have? Also, any tips for preventing fishermen from cutting the lines? Our lake is remote but we do have a lot of fishermen so that is definitely something I'd have to think about.

• Baller_

@susanm1ski, too bad you don't know who owns this lake, which is much closer to Athens. It is just about perfect (if the depth is good). Looks undeveloped, wind protected, with no traffic. Maybe researching the county/township tax rolls will get you the owner's name and you can approach that person for possible access.

zuouywr6dqdx.jpg

• Baller_

The only advice I can give you about protecting the course is:

1. See if you can identify the regular fishermen and maybe have a conversation with them about the team and the fact that you don't want to bother them, but just want to use the course. Some may be willing to work cooperatively, some won't. If you want to wakeboard and run the boat outside the course with the music blaring, don't. And, if you still want to do that, go to another distant, larger section of the reservoir so that you don't bother those near the course or identify yourself as closely related to that course location. I'd still be very careful about the amount noise and boat wake that you generate. In short, keep a low profile and save the partying for open water in a location that you are not trying to preserve as a training site.

2. Always be using it. They can't damage it while you're there and they are likely to find other fishing spots if you are always there. Plus, if you are always using it, you should be skiing better.

3. If the water depth is not too great and the course can be easily located underwater, pull the buoys and boat guides off and sink it each day. It adds some time to swim and attach the buoys before use, but is easier to deal with than a sliced-up mainline. I would only do this if you experience damage.

P.S. After zooming in on that other lake image I posted from Google Earth, I noticed some debris in the water (seems like trees). That would probably mean some detailed inspection of the lake depths, obstructions, and some cleanup. But, a little bit of effort for a completely private site would be worth it.

• Baller
@MISkier , I did some research on that small lake you showed me. It is part of a 588 acre tract of "agricultural" preserve land. I believe it is owned by the govt or the corps, I'm not sure. Unfortunately, it is almost as far from Athens (time wise) as the other lake, so I'm not sure its location would be much of an advantage.

• Baller_

@susanm1ski, while the location of the other lake might not be a time saver, the total exclusivity of the site would be worth it. You might want to continue to research that location as another option, especially if the public portion of your current site becomes detrimental to the team's practice/training.

I think you are doing a great job to pull this together. It shows a lot of ambition and drive.

• Baller
Thanks @MISkier ! I'm certainly doing the best I can. I'm currently trying to find small bodies of water closer to Athens. I'm hoping that I might have more luck that way. What is about the minimum size of lake area we would need in acres for a ski course?

• Baller

@DmaxJC_ski sent you a PM, check your inbox.

@susanm1ski if you have any questions I can be helpful with please feel free to contact me. You can call me at our toll free number 800-216-4461 or contact me through the BOS messaging system. Absolutely no obligation, I'm more than happy to chat with you.

Ed @ EZ-Slalom

• Baller
@susanm1ski unfortunately I'm not sure of any way to prevent vandalism, seems like for every 1 guy with respect, there are 3 that don't, our lake gets quite busy so I'm sure this will be ongoing until we too locate a pothole close by to ski In. Good luck!!

• Baller_

@susanm1ski, I think the lake size needs to be about 15-20 acres. But the dimensions need to be at least 1800 feet long and 225 feet wide. And, the depth needs to be at least 6 feet deep all season throughout the course area. If you have other candidate lakes, post the Google Earth coordinates here and someone will look them over.

There are some oddly shaped lakes less than 1800 feet long that work, if the boat can curve off to one direction for the skier set down and pull up. But, it is better to have enough distance to go straight in and out of the course.

You can also do a 8-buoy course (overlapping 4 buoy) that allows you to run straight in/out with a distance less than 1800 feet. I've skied them and they're OK, but I prefer the standard 6 buoy.

• Baller_

In case you are wondering, here is how an 8-buoy course and a 6-buoy course compare. I can explain how the 8-buoy course is a space-saver if you have a short lake. Many others on BOS can as well.

h4o8dbti0zfj.jpg

• Baller

@MISkier I don't quite understand how the 8-buoy course works but I think I see what you're getting at! It gives you more set up time, right? Anyways, I'll try to stick with a 6-buoy if possible! As far as other lakes, I found one in Nicholson GA (about 20 mins from Athens) but I'm not sure if it's the right size/shape or if I could get access. I will have to contact the owner if I can track them down.

Here's a picture of it with coordinates.

nk0ody3c0yew.jpg

• Baller_

@susanm1ski, that lake is way too small. Google Earth has the ability to measure if you go to the Tools menu and select Ruler. You can click and drag a line to measure between points. Set it to feet for units.

The 8 ball course allows you more setup time, but you must drop quickly after the exit gates. Here is a picture of the respective paths. It seems to me you can run one on a 1600 foot lake. Others may know more.

g2673rbeg264.jpg