Nationals - Same as it ever was

Horton

• Baller

@schroed you're right. Raise overall participation (membership) and the nationals attendance is likely to follow all else being equal. The goal of the special committee was to look at THIS years nationals. No one would argue that the general trend in AWSA membership is a bigger issue long term.

@Cayman2 you're also right that public access or exposure to a slalom course is a limiting factor. However two things - first competitive traditional waterskiing is 3 actual events (slalom, trick and jump) as well as a virtual event (overall). Jump access is even more difficult than slalom but trick skiers can ski anyway (I skied on a public lake for more than 25 years).

So while I'd agree that public access is an issue the solution probably looks more like a "golf course" scenario than a "put a course on a public lake" scenario. The primary reason is all those that get hooked by access/exposure immediately want to find "better water" at a private lake somewhere. Golf courses are exponentially more expensive than lakes due to size etc. And I dont know anyone who literally has a golf course in their backyard exclusively for themselves (tiger woods is probably an exception for his 3 hole backyard course). Point is even the most exclusive country CLUBS allow some kind of membership/access to those that are willimg to be members. Generally speaking those of us who own lakes don't let a lot of "public access" happen - yes there are notable exceptions. So the whole "business model" is different. Not necessarily wrong just not conducive to membership growth.

• Baller

When we look at the main factor for success of the Collegiate Nationals it's not that they have a Division II. What makes it different is what @E_T kinda touched on, it's the team aspect.

The AWSA Nationals could easily add a team element to the current format to try give attendance a boost without drastic changes. A team could consist of 1 M, 1 W, 1 Jr skier and a Regional participant not qualified to ski Nationals as a individual. Teams would be families, ski club members, old friends or new friends. NOPS score totals in each event will determine team placement. You still get your same rides but now they give you more than one chance to win a National title.

Let's use the power of peer pressure to boost attendance. It works in college!

• Baller
Sort of the same as @Cayman2 said, however it's not so much public slalom course, it's the lack of skilled open water slalom skiers being seen on public water anymore,or rarely. They just don t ski public water. Seeing good skiers on open water has enticed many beginners to try slalom. I don't place myself in with the "good" skiers, but I did flee public water when I had a chance. It just got so difficult to ski and once we had a course vandalism was just discouraging.

• Baller_
Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. It is almost impossible to gain permits on quality water public lakes. You can find swamps like @6balls and that can work but that is basically just like a private lake. There are not many people that will ski sites like that. If there is a will, there is a way to get access to a slalom course. Put in some time looking for a site and attempt to gain the permits needed on public water. Nobody wants to put the effort in, they just want to go use a course that is already there. Get off your lazy arses and put a course in.

• Baller

You can put a course in on public water for your use...but not sure it really grows the sport. @razorskier1 is on a popular lake in the Minneapolis metro and people certainly can see him putting in his zillion sets per summer throwing up the big spray. But who sees him, really...he skis when the lake is quiet and can't ski his short lines in rollers. Most do know he's the best skier on the lake...probably grows more Mastercraft sales than buoy skiers.

We have "the swamp" that @MS mentions...including the swamp I ski 3 public lakes primarily. On Dunn's lake people see us ski the course but no one else does...ok it's a quiet lake.

The lake I live on is in the city limits, has 2 launches, a number of parks, a campground with only lakeshore slots and 50 plus residential home-owners. We ski a course there when the lake is quiet...who sees us? Otherwise there's just that big fish crib out there marked by buoys, right?

We could never run a tourney on the lake where I reside other than an enduro at 28 off take whatever water you get. I feel sorry for the show ski team that tries to do a show here once/year in awful conditions...they are not growing the sport, either. Not sure i have an answer for growth.

• Baller_

This is a photo from The Water Skier magazine (September 2011) of the Global Invitational Pro tournament held at Millennium Park in Grand Rapids, MI. The tournament (slalom and jump) was held in front of the beach house at this Kent County park and was seen by many who happened to be there to enjoy a sunny Saturday.

This is one way to get exposure. Reminds me of Moomba - public location that has other attractions.

The Meijer State Games is a series of athletic/competitive events around the Grand Rapids area. Water sports are included with all the other activities. The slalom competition (not Pro) was held at this same location last year and will be again this year. It is basically a class C tournament...in a class A location.

It would be great to get at least one of the five lakes at Millennium Park dedicated to skiing. The site could be like a mini-Okeeheelee. I think that the access level to public water needs to be run like that.

d8pfcpbqirgt.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@MISkier that was a great site for a pro event. I will say setting up that jump course was a real PITA that year... I spent way too much time in the water with Jim Stanley and John Worden removing some polls and I remember a very early phone call to go and lower the slalom buoys on day 1. I finished just in time for the first skier to get pulled out of the water. How I get dragged into these things I will never know but it was a great week in Michigan would not trade it for anything, but I digress back to Nationals talk. @Texas6 @E_T knows more than you think.