1500 hours = Motor Rebuild On 200

ozski

• Baller
As the title says @ 1500 hours and the PCM (6.0) is sucking oil and pretty much ready for a rebuild despite regular services. I would have expected greater longevity but running a decent amount of jump and 36MPH maybe 1500 is about par? Is this because they run such high RPM's? Thoughts?

• Baller
Thanks everyone I will pass the suggestions on, this engine had to be repaired / replaced at 170 hours from new. I spent a few hours behind the wheel yesterday and its certainly not down on power but it needs oil daily.

• Baller
First 6.0 I've heard of with this issue, but I know of a hand full 5.7 200's that needed replacing. I wonder if there was a small batch of bad blocks or something? I don't recall hearing any issues during the 196 years, but there definitely could've been some? I hope this one is solved without a full rebuild,

@ozski if you are near Albury contact Engine Master Australia (EMA) they are the PCM dealer for Aus. I had some issues with my Ex330 that the other Nautique mechanics had no idea what was wrong with it. I took it up to them and they are miles ahead of the the other guys

• Baller
I've heard from a number of different marine mechanics over the years that 1500 hours is about average on a marine gas V-8 before an overhaul if those are actually 1500 working hours, and not just idle or the key turned on listening to the stereo hours. I also hear a lot of anecdotal tales of engines going much longer, but I wonder about the actual usage of those engines.

• Baller
That's interesting... Depending on the circumstances, I'd think it may take a while to reach 1,500 working hours? For example, my wife and I just bought an '06 196. We went over our diacom reading with the PCM tech who ran it, which was very informative. Of the 671 hours on the clock, 462 were between 0-1,000rpms, with only 111 hours between 3,001 & 4,000 (slalom speed obviously). Even better, only 2.2 hours registered between 4,001 & 5,000. He said we bought a gently used engine, that should last a long, long time. It might be interesting to compare a diacom from an engine needing an "early" rebuild?

• Baller_

Always remember anything build by man is doomed to failure sooner or later!

I have seen engines run 2000 hours under general waterski service and run as clean and have near as much power as when they were first put into service. I have also seen engines ventilate the engine block in less the 50 hours under general water ski service. so far I have seen some pretty good advice about doing a thorough diagnostic of the engine. Many times owners think because their engine is only a few years old that it does not need things like PCV valve, ignition wires, etc. get these items checked out. Have a compression and leak down test performed. Run the diacom diagnostic's..

Another word of advice if indeed the engine is in need of replacement, If you plan on running another 1500 plus hours of service on the engine I would not rebuild it. Sell your core to some hotrodder and buy a new service long block. it has been my experience that for longevity one is better off buying new then rebuild.

My .02 cents