2014 vs 2015 Master craft Prostar Transmission

GOODESkier

@GOODESkier I believe that most of the 2015's are using a 1.26:1 transmission whereas most 2014's used a 1.22:1. The prop that came with my 2014 is the OJ Skipro #710, 13.25 x 14.5. According to the AWSA approved towboat list, the other 4 blade prop is the OJ Skipro #709, 13.9 x 14.25. Hope this helps

• Baller

it does make a big difference to the hole shot. As part of this, the engine mount/shaft angle changed slightly also, resulting in a lower nose rise out of the hole. It makes it feel like a much more powerful boat.

Time will tell what is the best prop to use, as last I heard, it was not settled upon when the ratio change had been made.

These changes make the dramatic difference in the hole shot! The local 2015 has the new transmission with the OJ #709 prop and it feels like a rocket compared to my 2014. I'm not sure how much of the difference is the transmission vs how much is the prop. I will know when the ice is off, as I have picked up the #709 prop.

• Baller

@dnewton Has the transmission in your boat been changed from 1.22:1 ratio to the 1.26:1 in the 2015+ 5.7L boats?

@Andre your correct I enjoyed my 88 MC Prostar and my 99 MC SportStar. Currently have a 08 196 my first Nautique which is great. I consider the late model 196's to be the pinnacle of the '19 ski boats before the wider '20 boats came along. I suspect eventually a 14+ Prostar will be my next boat.

• Baller
@vtjc I don’t know to be honest. I am a 36mph skier on a 1800' lake here in Indiana and it seems to be more than fine. I frequently ski behind a couple small motor 200s and it seems comparable. Our friend weighs about 210 pounds and also skies 36 and again it seems fine.

• Baller
Living at altitude and being 235lbs, I found a huge difference in the 5.7 PS. The 2014 was very slow out of the hole and felt sluggish all around. After the change in Tranny and Prop, the motor had lots of grunt. Would happily buy a 2015 on Prostar, would not buy a 2014 for me, where I live and ski.

• Baller

I have a 2014 ProStar, and a friend has a 2017 ProStar. We slalom course ski in the Midwest at 32mph into 35' off. We don't notice a difference in hole shot or wake. Both are excellent.

We DO notice a difference in the smoothness of the transmission, when shifting it into gear. The 2014 is rough and noisy, while the 2017 is smooth and quiet. Another friend had a 2014 promo ProStar, and his transmission had the same rough and noisy characteristics. (Transmission oil is full, clean, and has been changed at 300h, even though the oil was like new.)

Does anyone have a 2014 ProStar with a smooth and quiet transmission (when shifting into gear)?

Has anyone done anything to "fix" the 2014 transmission roughness?

Is it possible to make it smooth and quiet?

Thanks in advance.

• Baller_
You might check fluid recommendations or options. Not sure on your trans, a Velvet Drive is much quieter when using hydraulic fluid v ATF as for it both are viable fluid options. Do not know what fluid options are viable in your case. Idle speed also makes a difference in engagement clunk.

• Baller

@MichaelWiebe I have a 2014 with a 5.7 and the 1.22 transmission. I have skied my boat and a newer 5.7 ProStar with the 1.26 transmission. I would say there is a small, but noticeable difference in the hole shots. However, nobody has ever asked for more power than I can give on the pullout with the 1.22.

As for the transmission noise that you mention, I do notice a rattle in reverse-only, and only after it is warmed up. The first reverse out from the dock is smooth and quiet, but after warming up it rattles when in reverse. No noise in forward. The shifting action itself into both forward and reverse is smooth and quiet. It is a sustained rattle while reversing.

I inquired with ZF about running Rotella 15-40 as some have said that this helps quiet the gear noise. ZF advised that Dextron III ATF is the only approved fluid for my transmission.