Why didn't you attend Nationals (2013 or 2014)?

TonyaMaurer

• Baller

"Back in the day" of the large nationals crowds and high participation rates, why didn't they have this issue?

What is different now? If time and cost are the most often cited excuses now, then why was time and cost acceptable then? Was the relative cost vs. average incomes significantly different then? Was the number of qualified skiers significantly different? Was the rate of participation from within the population of qualified skiers significantly different?

I'm just curious if those who have been involved with Nationals for many years can share some insight.

• Baller
@ToddL I do know the number of qualified skiers had dropped significantly over the years. So, even if the rate of participation stays the same, the overall numbers have dropped. With the lower numbers, the vendors aren't as excited about the event. Its a downward spiral from there.

• Administrators

@ToddL‌ guessing here

Back in the day the total pool of competitive skiers was much larger. The fraction of skiers who qualified was small and represented the high end of the sport. As the numbers change everything shrinks with it.

• Baller

Noting the above posting about the Nastar Nationals. I've been to a few, mainly as an Invited

Timer (4 times @ Steamboat). There is a zoo of racing activity, and a bunch of age and skill

divisions. Skill divisions take the D2 concept, and have 4 divisions: Platinum, Gold, Silver, and

Bronze. Yes, there is a concern about 'sandbagging'. At one time, there can be 6 venues running,

with dual courses on each. The higher-level divisions like Platinum and Gold tend to be put on

the more challenging hills.

For more info, see: http://www.nastar.com/nature-valley-nastar-national-championships

Questionable if this concept would work for the Water Ski Nationals.

Yes, plenty of activity and goodies. One year, my daughter entered and won her age group

Platinum division (Women 30-34). Got a GS suit for that. Really nice prize. Something you

don't tend to get in water ski event.

• Baller

I posted a lot of information in the other thread:

http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/12481/d2-was-voted-down-to-day

To summarize:

Nationals loses money to the tune of about $30k/year

The Magazine loses money to the tune of about $175k/year

Why not kill the magazine and redirect the recovered expense budget to Nationals?

Regarding a "Different Type of Nationals" -

I'd rather spend $1 to earn $2 than spend $1M to lose $1M and 1 cent.

If a radically small and different event makes more sense, is more affordable, and can be self sustaining; then that is what should be pursued.