Mastercraft Pro Star

GOODESkier

• Baller

Close friend of mine is still dealing with a Mastercraft debacle...... Boat was at the dealer for 6 weeks and now it is stuck there till spring, and who knows if it is fixed or not..........

This boat had an issue with big time power loss. It would barely yank a 185 lbs skier out of the water and struggled to get to 34.2 MPH before the entry gates. Then it would try super hard to make up that time before 2 ball....... punishing pull!

The fix Mastercraft said was because a few 14's and a couple 15's got manufactured with some air venting getting crushed. Rather than fixing it, they want to add an additional blower motor to the dog house and have it suck air in through the cup holder.

Trying to see if anyone else on here has had this issue or been persuaded by Mastercraft to try this fix???

• Baller_

I think I would just install a vent in the back of the motor box. Good God! That would be a pretty air tight engine compartment and bilge if lack of Air was causing the Performance issue!! Seems one could hear it sucking through the cracks and seams!

To Funny!

• Baller_

@GoodeSkier: the proposed fix is certainly a band aid to the problem, although fixing a crushed hull vent is not necessarily an easy fix. A quick check to see if that is the problem, unfortunately not doable now, would be to stick a small 2x4 under the engine box letting air in the crack and go run the boat and see if that fixes it. If not, it is something else.

Not an MC, but on my vessel, I installed a couple of cold air tubes by replacing 2 of the 4 cup holders in the engine box with ducting to a cold air box at the inlet. Helps particularly in warm weather by supplying the engine with ambient temperature air rather than the warmer air in the engine box, A-B test on a hot day was a 200 rpm WOT difference. Side effect is a nice inlet hissing sound from the 2 center "former" cupholders.

• Baller
The '14 I skied behind could pull me up uncomfortable fast. I think it had 5.7. I would think you could get some kind of scope down that vent tube to verify that is the problem. If the vent tube was crush and not fixable I'd be inclined to ask for another boat.

• Administrators

@Bulldog‌ those two boats were R&D boats so every detail that could be triple checked was triple checked.

As with skis or anything else, the stuff the R&D staff and the factory team has will have all the bugs worked out.

• Baller
Calgary's Predator Bay Club had two production 6 ltr. Prostars last summer, and they were a VAST improvement over the smaller engines in the previous Mastercrafts at the club. Predator is only at 3,500 feet asl, but that is enough that getting up to 36 mph by the 55 balls was marginal with the base engines.

• Administrators
@shaneH no that is not exactly true. At the unveiling there was a 6.2 Jump boat AND a slalom boat that was a 5.7 or a 6.0 - forget. I think it was a 6.0 but I am not sure.

• Baller

Update. Some progress has been made. Still a somewhat "hockie" fix in my opinion of a fan installed in the engine dog house. Apparently the 2015 boats have that fan as standard equipment. A blower motor mounted in place of the cup holder.

Anyone have a 2015 and can confirm that they have a blower motor there and maybe let me/us know if it runs non-stop when the boat is keyed on? Or only when the engine is actually running?

Some other things too, but I will just ask about the blower motor for now.

• Baller

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't believe for a minute that bigger displacement is the answer for the higher altitude places. With all the modern technology in fuel injection I Would say with the proper tune on the ECM these engines would make all kinds of adequate power.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge believer in "no replacement for displacement" but for those who are working on a budget and don't want to fork out the extra cheddar for the engine upgrade, I would say a good engine tuner ( not a chip, an actual person to reprogram) for a few hundred bucks and about 3/4 of an hour could blow your mind with the difference.

I personally use one of these guys on my diesels. For instance I have a 2004 gmc duramax, I have a turbo back 4 " exhaust, everything else is stock, I had him build me a 100 hp tune over stock, I have been running it for 6 years with no issues and it makes 27 mpg all day long. He also has a tune that is getting the 6L GM well into the 20s mpg and added horsepower, even without touching the emissions crap!

• Baller

OK all fine and dandy. You pay NORTH of $70,000 and you kinda expect that at sea level you can go 34.2 and 36 MPH.......... It is a ski boat ya know! If we wanted to add a turbo or super charger, I would ride my snowmobile............

Lets see how mastercraft makes this right. I have faith they will get it nailed down. Good PR is a thing all companies need!

• Baller

The automotive tuners will not work on our boats. And with zero off the computer is e-controls vs mefi that most boats use. I'm not sure if there is a tuning software available for e-controls. I've seen some diagnostic software but I don't think you could change anything on with it. The boat manufacturers are for sure doing a lot of tuning on the engines already to get the optimal pull. I was talking to a guy at nationals that worked for Malibu how he would experiment with things on the engine then let the pros evaluate. He was specially complimentary of Regina's abilities to notice small changes.

@Jody_Seal should know more?

• Baller
Just an update. Engine vent and blower installed, fuel pump replaced, and we have a nice skiing and driving boat again. Mastercraft took care of my buddy and gave him a little something for his troubles.......... Glad to see they stood behind the boat and got us running shortline again!