Skiing/Driving Pet Peeves

Marco

• Baller
Common sense IMO, it's like getting into your car with dirty boots, do you at least shake some off before you get in or do you just not care and make the car filthy? It's gonna get dirty we know that, but why make it worse unnecessarily? Same with the boat and water. There's wet and there's WET.

• Baller
I'm not terribly bothered by how I'm pulled through the course but maybe I've just had a lot of good drivers. My major complaint is on open water with my friends. I have a RH drive boat and everyone who drives my boat drives straight past me on the drivers side and then puts it in reverse. Doesn't matter how many times I tell people or how good of a driver they are, I always end up closer to the bow than I do the stern after skiing because the back of boat drifts away from me. Next boat I own will be a LH drive for this reason alone.

• Baller
As a driver, people who don't take their shoes off getting in the boat. Last year I spent several hours getting a couple spots of TAR out of the carpet from a judges shoes. As a skier, a tight rope while I am catching my breath at the end of a pass dragging me into a short setup.

• Baller
Gosh, I'm lucky. My ski partner/driver does none of the above bad things. My worst problems with drivers occurs at tournaments, unfortunately. If the site has islands, which requires that the driver hold the boat pointed in the direction it came from, I get dragged sometimes. The things that a driver does outside the course (bad things) doesn't speak well for my confidence level once we get going.

• Baller

Some good stuff here. I hate to be dragged when I am in the water. For some reason I have a pet peeve about people that pull out quickly then jam the boat in reverse before they drag someone. That usually results in the boat being out of position on the pull up.

As the driver never turn into the skier while under throttle. Let the boat settle down parallel to the path of the skier then turn in. Similarly as the skier never turn in toward the driver.

Dump excess water out of your equipment before you get in the boat. This one doesn't bother me that much but it is a courtesy thing.

Get ready quickly when it is your turn to ski. We ski on public water and you never know when the yahoos are going to show up so make the most of the good water when we can. There is usually time to talk after the sets if it is the weekend or after work.

I am always understanding of new drivers. I broke in a new driver a couple of years ago and he is part of our regular rotation now. My son drove for me a bunch of sets this year including his first set solo. I was fortunate to have people teach me how to drive the course when I was 15 or 16 back in the hand driving days and have patience as I learned. I try to pass that on to new drivers when I can. Volume sets are a great time to break in new drivers.

• Baller

At our last tournament, I had one skier gather in the excess rope while I was going around them for the next pass. I think this has two problems... it's harder for me to know when I have the line tight for the next pull-up and if they have all that line, I expect it could get caught on them or their equipment. I never say anything though, I'm there for the skier when I drive.

As a skier, please don't tug me before the time is up.

• Baller
Drivers who think looking at the rooster tail in the center of the mirror means there in the middle and Dragging me! Rule number 1 is boys can't pee with a tight rope so leave slack till I tell ya. Becky Lathrop never forgets this. Always feel super calm skiing behind her.

• Administrators

What blows my mind is when drivers are all eyes front & hammer down with lower level skiers and then watch me ski.

When I am skiing => punch it and lets go. When my wife or someones kid is skiing you MUST watch the skier around islands and anytime you are out of the course. When I drive any skier who does not shorten the rope it is my job to control the boat speed and path to keep them out of danger.