Quest 45

Stevie Boy

• Baller
Ski Buddy of mine has just brought the D3 Quest 45, he has run 39off , but gets 35off @ 36mph, on a regular basis, he is still dialing in, and getting to know the ski, I have to say, that I have never seen him so early, wide and settled on a ski, as the D3 Quest 45, very impressive, if you demo one, check the setup, D3, have made some changes to the setup, Boot placement + Fin numbers, some of you guy's, probably already aware of this.

• Baller
The Quest 45 has a different layup than the Quest. I think the 45 is a reference to the orientation of the carbon fibre in the tail. In any case, the Quest 45 has less torsional flex in the tail and "enhanced" flex in the forebody. I've been testing one the last few days and am skiing at PB levels despite the water getting cold. Apparently it's the ski Nate has been on all summer.

• Baller

@webbdawg99‌

Assuming that you too are on a 66" Q45, you and I have arrived at almost exactly the same numbers. I'm at: 6.935, 2.490, .760, 8°, 29.2, R-35, and I'm .005" longer than what I thought was ideal in an effort to see how much tip I can get in the water early in the pre-turn. What is your current binding placement?

• Baller
Ha! Interesting @webbdawg99‌. I've arrived at this coming off of a Helix, which by comparison is quite nimble. This long/shallow setup is a bit of a departure from factory spec and it would be unruly if the pre-turn were ridden tip-high into a sudden tip-engagement at the ball, but for a tip-low approach, it has really set up the Q45 and I'm falling in love with this ski!

• Baller

@SkiJay Update: We had a 3 round backyard tourney last week. I did something I'd never done before....I ran 35 all 3 rounds. I was pretty happy about the consistency, but wasn't getting as far down 38 as I was expecting/wanting

I skied a couple practice sets the next day and my ski partner commented that it looked like my ski was digging too hard on the offside and not carrying speed through the turn. So I made a fin adjustment. (took out tip) Now I'm actually shorter than I was on the Quest.....but barely. Seems to feel pretty good! New length is 6.922. Everything else remains unchanged. This is exactly in line with what @bishop8950 had told me about the new 45 at Nationals.

• Baller

Congratulations on the solid tournament scores and consistency @webbdawg99!

I'm not surprised your new ski's tip was digging compared to your old ski. What if I told you were actually running .025" more length on the Q45 than on your previous Quest, and that now you're still .017" longer?

What . . . ?!

Of course your length is exactly what you've measured, but it's only part of the story. The length measurement is widely used as a measure of tip sensitivity, but you also have to take into account "where" the fin is. You're running the fin on your Q45 .020" further forward than on your old ski. This moves the fin's leading edge forward .020" too. Reducing length by .008" made it less sensitive because it moved the leading edge back. Now your fin's leading edge location is actually .003" further back than factory stock.