Buy Promo Boats and New Skis

Horton

• Administrators

Ya look at Ski-It-Again and see so many skis that cost so much less than new skis. It is no wonder so many Ballers cannot help themselves. A used ski is like a used car. There is a reason it is for sale. A lot of the skis on Ski-It-Again are a killer deal but you have no idea how it was treated or how many rides it was used for. Most important you can’t return it. Maybe some sellers would take it back but not usually.

If you buy a new ski factory direct (Goode, D3, Mapple, Reflex, Quantium or LeeSki) or from a reputable ski shop like Performance or Robby’s you will get service.

The ski factories are all pretty darn consistent these days so quality is not generally an issue but I have more than one ski that I would have returned if I had paid retail. It is not likely but you should get a bad Radar or O’Brien or Connelly or HO or whatever all you have to do is call the dealer.

What if you just do not like the ski itself? There are plenty of performance guarantees out there. Again Goode, D3 and Mapple come to mind. Performance does some sort of demo thing. No matter where you buy you should ask about the demoing the ski first.

Here is the hard part. Should you demo a ski and love it. You need to get that exact ski. Does not matter if it has a scratch or the shop wants to sell you a new one in the plastic. If you love a ski get that exact ski.

Boats on the other hand, I think promo is the only way to go. It helps the tournament part of the sport. It is critical that the promo guys sell their boats every year. A current year promo boat should cost roughly wholesale and normally has relatively low hours. Your average promo boat guy is totally anal about taking care if his boat. The day he gets it he knows he needs to sell it. If there is anything wrong he has factory support. You should always ski behind and drive a boat before even making a deposit. Lord help the poor smuck that gets a $50k-$75K lemon. There are more lemons than you would think.

• Baller
I have been buying boats for the last 28 years. We get one every year or two. I always shop the entire country for the best deals. We have had a pretty even mix of master craft and nautique. Some new, some promo. If you can find a promo owner who understands that he can not turn a profit on his boat, work with him. Some think that they can put 75/100 hours on them and sell them for a profit. Those days are gone. If you look hard, deals are out there. In my mind, promo boats are like a car. There is a certain amount of loss when they roll off the lot. I have three or four go to guys that I have worked with over the years. Great guys. If the promo guys don't expect retail price for a used boat, great deal. They just need to be realistic. I am sure @shaneH has seen a few of them.

• Administrators

@Than_Bogan‌

Not exactly. Nothing is free and nothing is paid for in the way you expect. My business is literally my business.

• Baller_
Very hard to buy new skies when SIA basically does half price for a year old ski. Sure you can't really return them but most likely can sell them for what you paid. On top of which you can be somewhat assured that abuse and even use is low in states where the water gets to cold..half the country. Plus, it is hard to believe that someone would abuse a 1200-1700+ dollar ski knowing they will probably sell at the do the season. I ski because of SIA. Without them I'd be on a 10 yr old ski wondering how the hell I can afford and justify dropping $1500+ on a ski with my income trying to raise a family. I whole heartedly disagree with the premise that retail is the way to go. Maybe for some. But I do not feel buying used and building my own boot systems to save $$$s has held me back at all. Seems just the opposite. My average scores have gone up.

• Administrators

@eleeski

I estimate that 00.008% of all the web traffic on BallOfSpray is from skiers who make their own skis.

I actually count 3 skiers / homemade ski makers among the Ballers and assume the one logs in from 2 IP addresses.

4/50,000 = .008% (the site was visited from 50k IP addresses last month if anyone wants to check my math)

That means that 99.992% of all Ballers ski on Factory made skis. I guess Zapp has a Eleeski trick and so do a few others so lets round to 99.988% of all Ballers do not make their own skis.

My point is that Gatorade caps for a binding release method or wall board as a texture is way off topic most of the time. I really do not mind except in threads where ideas are being exchanged in earnest. In these cases the silliness lowers the quality of the information exchanged.

If you bring me in a major advertiser you can do what ever you want.

• Administrators

@Chuck_Dickey I tied my all time PB behind your boat. What else can I say.

I will be sure to drive it up and down the lake a Silver Dune.

• Baller

@Horton‌ Maybe you're taking this all too seriously. This site is entertainment for us, the users. The sport is for fun. The ridiculous crap is drug tests, boat path scrutiny and fin settings to .001.

Picking on me for openly sharing ideas that actually work at a reasonably high level is OK in fun but are factory fish scales so much different than my rough texture? Or velcro or cobbled together snow ski binding parts better than a rather carefully tuned system based on readily available items with a lemon-lime fragrance?

I do think that supporting the sponsors of this site is good. But that doesn't mean we can't have a bit of fun. Crack open a Steelie and laugh at some of the posts. Make that a Kilo Kai and we'll support an advertiser!

Eric

• Baller
@ntx hit the nail on the head. There's a promo owner in the SCR who still has his '12 because he insists on getting more than he paid for it in '12. You run into silly stuff like that from some people since there's no set pricing. Some promo owners get extra incentives depending on their length of time in the program or function in the program, so there are always deals out there. Buy a promo, though! It keeps us in boats! Thankfully, both our 200 and our MC sold by nationals this year. On the other side of the coin, though, the number of people trying to milk a nickel and low ball you has gone up.

• Baller

I purchased a new D3 last year and a new Goode this year. My ski club is taking delivery of a 2014 SN 200 Promo in about 3 weeks. We are trying to sell our 2012 SN 200 (was a promo).

John, could you calculate when that sale is going to happen? I would like to know how long I should expect to be a 2 boat owner.

Matt M

SIA29126 OR 2012 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 200

It has 700 plus hours and drives as good as new.

It's the boat on warmanlake.com

• Baller

I think everyone everywhere would love nothing more than to be able to run brand new leading edge technology in our sport no matter what we refer too; boats or skis.

I think the reality of it all is that it's just not possible.

Like @Wish I can't justify buying a new boat or a new ski and taking that money away from my family. Hell I'm just fortunate enough to have them 1/2 support my love for an activity and sport they could almost really care less about.

We need guys like myself and a lot of others out there to keep this sport alive and moving forward. It's becoming a rich mans sport and its very very hard to live a champagne lifestyle on a beer wage.

I'm very lucky to be able to live in a private ski community. One with boat reps, past & present, as well as a couple of owners with new or almost new boats.

It doesn't matter how we compare the boats. The newer ones - hell yes they have some sweet features and updated interiors. They still need to run a straight line down the middle of the boat path with someone at the end of a rope riding a ski that is new or used at some different line length.

My point really is that some people can afford the new and some can't. The equipment; boats & skis, will continue to get moved as commodities do. And whether riding in or on new vs used................. keep the growth and the love of the sport first and foremost.

• Baller_
Lets keep in mind that if we buy the used ones, that puts money in the pockets of the sellers to buy the brand new ones. This includes the promo boats. It's actually us skiers on the cheap that play the most important role and much needed service in this circle of sales life. So don't feel guilty that you buy used. Your just providing a needed service. It's all good.

• Baller

We demo a Prostar last week.Brand new out of showroom 2015 with .8 hr on it.

85k CDN taxes inc. !!!

Ski partner was offer 29k CDN for his 06 197,730 hrs.

Just can't afford that kind of money when you ski 5 months a year.

I'll keep my old faithful 94!

This sport used to be expensive.Now it's very expensive!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators
@Andre If you really wanted that boat and just needed to shave the price.... find your local Promo guy. Spec the boat exactly the way you want it and get it for 10s of thousand less a year later with a few hours.

• Administrators

@skihard You have a solid boat and a newish ski. If I owned a 196 I would repower and upgrade to ZO long before I would buy new. Even that is really that is an extravagance depending on your skiing level. That boat should last until you are in Mens 12. But if you were in the market for a new boat-ish…. I stand behind my comments at the top of the page.

As for skis. The few hundred $ between new and used is a small % compared to the cost of skiing as a whole but still freaking painful. I would advocate upgrading less often but going new if you can. A lot of skiers get killer deals and great skis buying used but yea have to know every time a skiers is stuck with a lemon it goes on Ski-It-Again. I guess what I am saying is that the savings = a gamble.

@Horton - That is exactly what the owners of my 2014 200 SN did. They told me what they wanted - color, 6 liter, sub-woofer etc and put down a deposit. There was an added bonus to the deal. They skied with me all summer in the boat and take delivery at the end of Sep.

• Baller
My guess is that being able to sell a ski on sia allows many sellers to purchase a new ski and some skiers to get on sticks they couldn't otherwise afford. Interesting revelation, a "lemon" ski?

• Baller

Over the years I've bought numerous used cars, a couple used boats, and I've also bought 2 - 3 used skis through SIA. To date I'm yet to get screwed on any of them, cars boats or skis. Like anything else if you do the homework, ask the right questions, you can get a pretty good idea of how the car (or ski) was treated, maintained etc. I'm fortunate to be skiing on a Vapor I got new (love it!) but I'm not above buying another good used late model ski through SIA if that made more sense than buying one new. Used doesn't necessarily equate out to junk. SIA provides a valuable service to the waterskiing community and I for one support that.

BTW if anyone knows where I can find a good condition 67" KD Evolution Carbon I'm looking...

• Administrators
@JAS not a lot of lemon new skis out there today. More boats than skis and that is REALLY scary. No one wants to talk about it but it happens.

• Baller

@Horton - the upgrade is in my future plans as the you are correct the boat will probably last me for a long time and it's one I truly love to ski behind. As for my skiing ability and level.........all I can say is I am constantly improving and I owe most of that to Trent and him getting through to me and breaking bad habits.

As for the ski I agree with @Wish & @Ed_Obermeier that if you know what you want SIA can be very beneficial.

My point mostly was that the used market is very important to the sport as a whole. Without it the sport would suffer worse than I think it is.

• Administrators
@SDNAH2OSKIER‌ promo boat sell for roughly wholesale. Sort of cut and dry. Yea some guys ask a little more. Some don't.

• Baller

@SDNAH2OSKIER‌ I suggest you talk to a dealer (any brand) and price a new boat, then speak to a Promo guy (I am one) and you'll see there is a great discount on the Promo boat.

If you don't like the one they have, a Promo guy can order their next boat exactly like you want it, whatever option, motor and colors you want at the same discount level.

• Baller
I buy from SIA and modify. You'd be surprised what you can run 35 off on if you try. I bought Dave Miller's old Mid ride for my daughter and she loves it. I have rode some of the top end skis but 35 off can be run on a Radar P6 when you narrow up the tail and stiffen up the tip to about 180. Best ski I have ever rode for $100 dollars plus time and materials.

• Baller

Boy, you know you are getting old when you see the prices on ski things these days. Not just

water, but snow, of course. When I was a grade/high school kid, a day ticket at the local snow

ski area was 50 cents for a local student. Now something nearing $80., and this is not any

major ski area, although it now has one high-speed chair. 1,300 vertical there.

Back on topic (sorry, Horton): In our prime days when we had a nice site on an artificial pond

in Springfield, NH, in the mid-1970's, we would pay about $7,000. each year for our Club boat,

with the local bank financing it for low interest.

Then we would sell at the end of the year and get another one next year. These were

Mastercrafts and Ski Supremes.

Even farther back, I think that Correct Craft had this deal where you paid them about $3,500,

and they would keep that $$, and you'd get a new promo. boat every year. Would have been

maybe mid 1960's. Maybe someone out there remembers the specifics.

An even better deal was when one of the key Eastern skiers was also a car dealer. Every year,

he would give the Correct Craft a dealer demo. car, usually a station wagon, and he would get

a promo. Nautique.

I remember one year when the Nautique promos were a bright orange. The guy wanted to

keep a low profile at his site, so he objected. Eventually won the battle, saying: OK if I get

an orange boat, you get an orange car.

Some good memories from the back-when.

• Baller

In '91 my old man bought the Falcon Barefoot on my lift today with a 225 hp Yamaha for $26K. Gas was still just under a dollar per gallon. The boat was 4-event certified...slalom, trick, jump, barefoot (no idea how was trick certified as it hates that speed maybe well loaded to keep it from planing). Add CPI over 23 years and you come away with Centurions in the mid-40's.

Still a fun boat...had her out today for some time in the sun.

• Baller_
Used anything...buyer beware. In 30 years of driving, I've never owned a new car. So far so good. Statistically speaking by doing this I will be able to retire 6 yrs before those that buy new. Like anything, do your homework and ask the right questions. Man...hope I didn't just jinks myself.

• Baller
If we are trying to grow the sport we should promote people buying what they can afford, new or used. Until I can afford new, I will gamble on buying used skis from those who can buy new. I want to grow the sport, I want people who can only afford used skis to buy used skis and for those who can afford new skis or promo boats to buy promo boats and new skis. I want M2 skiers to ski against and if that means we are all taking risks by buying used, then lets take some risks.

• Baller
I agree that promo boats are a great resource and are the best to buy..... If you can afford it. We have an 04 LXi that I like the pull and wake of more than a few brand new boats. My only beef with it is that it does not have ZO but we are putting Zbox in it soon. Couple that with my Vapor, I cant blame the equipment that I have. My mom always gets the new car and my dad gets the used car. Current car was a used 2012 Chrysler 300 and before that a used 2008 Cadillac CTS. Neither of them ever gave him a problem. Now, before the CTS he owned a 2004 BMW 745Li... If you are looking for a car to keep out of the shop do NOT buy that car. There was one repair that was alone $8,000+ fix, a couple $2,000+ fixes... He was happy to get rid of that car. Turns out if he did his research and not have thought "ohhh nice! I can get this car that is normally $85-$90,000 for a fraction of that" he would have seen that this car has ISSUES. Do your homework, ask questions, inspect the boat before you buy and you shouldnt have any issues