2015 Connelly GT

ALPJr

• Administrators
If the GT is what I think it is- I played with some prototypes early this summer. Think Prophecy with tweaked tail shape and tweaked bottom. I never skied on the final prototypes but I think the idea was faster off the second wake.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Hi All...

The GT is coming... But it's not here yet. I’m riding a quite resolved prototype, production skis will be out in about a month.

The thing is absolutely ridiculous! I love it and everyone I have seen test it so far has ran big scores so it will be interesting to see what the BOS community has to say when we start selling them.

Thanks to many years of collaboration between Jamie and Doug (Connelly's Engineer) the Prophecy has an extremely well resolved and extremely complex system of bevels from tip to tail more than capable of 41off.

The general consensus with the engineering team was that altering the bevel system was not going to drastically alter what the ski is capable of.

The concept we went with was hinged on the principal that currently ski design is based on a tradeoff between... Acceleration vs Brakes and Grip vs Drag.

When you’re tweaking bevels increasing acceleration is easy but you’re going to decrease the skis ability to bleed speed and increasing grip is easy but you’re going to add drag.

Basically the goal was to produce a ski which had more grip with less drag without altering the skis overall attitude.

The concept is so simple but it's such a difficult thing to accomplish.

Less drag gives greater acceleration and more grip means the ski would not need better brakes as it would be capable of making the same radius turn as the prophecy at a higher speed.

We kept things super quiet for so long because everything we tested was extremely conceptual so it was hard to develop a timeframe for production.

There are some things happening inside the ski that I signed a contract not to speak about but as for the thinner side wall at the tail of the ski. This reduces the surface area making contact with the water when the ski is on edge which allows the ski to ride deeper and therefore increases grip.

The altered shape of the V's allow cleaner water flow along the skis edge with a greater disturbance to the water flow through the tunnel of the ski which ultimately reduces drag.

Reducing the drag to this extent on the prophecy makes the ski feel like you have no wing.

And making the tail of the old prophecy ride this deep makes it feel like you have your wing set to 15 degrees.

But when you combine the two it produces a ski which is quite simply capable of carrying more speed through the turn than anything I have ever rode before.

Thanks for the interest...

Hope I answered some questions.

• Baller
Chanah Carter and I have been testing the 2014 prototype which has the same bottom as the GT. It feels about the same at longer line lengths but holds well when you make a tight turn and or get shorter. Joel do you think one can go to a bigger size if on the border? Or is it about the same?

Whatever he was on, if that ski in the pic is what he used, it looks like there is some voodoo going on in the speed steps on the bottom of his ski. Can't see all that well due to the artistic blurring of the photo. Maybe not artistic. Maybe intentional industrial espionage prevention.

• Baller

@chef23, Yep I was on the GT with Prophecy graphics

@coach3, The tail modification does tend to make turning a larger ski an easier process however we have made the front torsionally softer than the Prophecy as this allows the front of the ski to unwind when/if you happen to overturn so I would suggest sticking with exactly the same length.

• Baller_

Ok First...very well explained in every aspect. He is clear, concise and makes perfect sense. At the same time, he seems nice. What a great ambassador for Connelly.

Second, he spoke "smear" but didn't say the word and how this ski is gonna get that done based on design.

Third, he spoke of the same tip twisting concept that @Mapple skis are designed to do.

Forth, I want to try one....BADLY. Almost checked into a 2014.. will no longer be looking at those.

• Baller

I've gotta say this may be the first water ski design/marketing video that I've ever seen that isn't pretty much all BS. @JoelHowley clearly is a bright kid and everything he says in this video makes sense, which is super rare for ski marketing. Normally I watch videos like this and just shake my head. All the explanations he gives on how the ski shape effects the on water performance are spot on.

Now does that mean the ski is any good? I have no idea, but at least the ideas are sound and he didn't just make up a bunch of BS! :D

• Baller

I have been coached by @JoelHowley‌ a number times and he is a great guy who is bright and gives a lot of thought to coaching and obviously ski design. We discussed his thoughts that most successful fin settings were either back/short/deep or forward/long/shallow last time I skied with him. Joel had been keeping a log of fin settings on skiers he coached including details on the skier, ski they were on, ability and fin settings as a way to validate his thoughts.

Obviously Joel has been skiing well on the GT as he did on the Prophecy but he could probably ski well on a paddle.

• Baller_
@AdamCord‌ That is exactly what I felt the first time I watched it. And it is the only manufacturers video that I went back and looked at it again because of the detail. The second go through helped me understand some of the design features of other skies I have ridden and why others shaped certain elements the way they did. Probably will watch it again... @Horton‌ I did not see this on the front page (ya, I go there sometimes) but may have missed it. If it is not.. it should be. Very educational as this ski seems to have every conceivable new design element of that past 3yrs packed into one ride..

• Administrators
@wish I only post on the front page what is sent to me by the content creater. I have asked Connelly to ask me to post it. Clear as mud?

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

What @ozski‌, you weren't a Rocket scientist? I still remember walking around the Masters pavilion as a kid seeing the Connelly guys wearing those tee-shirts. I wanted one, think I wanted a Jobe SCO1, and had an HO PSX. This however, doesn't strike me as a gimmick. HO had been playing with that rail for a few years. Should be fun to see what it does.

Gotta say, I almost went to the "order now" page when he said it's not fin sensitive.

I've been using Connelly and I'm satisfied with it. Here's some more info I got about this brand:

Connelly Skis have been making gear in the water skiing industry for decades. They are the staple brand for all waterskiers, including professionals and recreational skiers. If you are ready to join the best in design, manufacturing and quality, select a product from Connelly Skis because it will give you peace of mind that you have exactly what you need. Connelly Skis are tough and durable. They are safe and sophisticated and a pleasure to ride...Read more here and also see the products here http://www.waterskiersworld.com/brands/connelly