how many sets on a demo ski does it take to know if its worth further testing

disland

• Baller

I've demo-d a few skis and figured it out right away.

I set the fin up exactly as the mfg recommends and put my binding on.

Frankly, if I'm not feeling it in the first few turns, it's not happening.

The ski has to give me a noticeable difference in performance right away for me to drop what could be $2,000 bucks. I might not do more balls in that demo set vs my current skis set, but I have to notice how the ski would help me, such as cast out further and settle into a smooth turn.

• Baller
I say 2-3 usually, but last year I spent nearly a month on the Nano One before I gave up. So many people skied their best on it I kept thinking it must be me. This year I got on the Mapple 6.0 and haven't looked back.

• Baller_

With only one exception, every time I have switched skis for the better I could tell on the first set that the ski was going to "work better" than my current ski.

If the basic characteristics of a ski do not match your particular skiing style, it's almost always a losing battle to make adjustments and/or just get use to it.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
If it is set up even close to right I can tell it has potential on the first set. My current ski (M6.0) was set up by Andy at his site and it truly is set up better than any ski I've owned. Going to try a "T" with him in a couple of weeks, and I'd suspect that I will know immediately with that one as well.

• Baller
I start with factory settings and can usually tell if it's in the running within one or two sets. If it's close, then I'll play with the setup for a few more sets because not all factory numbers are created equal. If I'm not feeling the love by set five or six, it's on to the next. So many tantalizing skis and so little time . . . .