HO Skis Fin Measurement, How awkward is it for you ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Hi Guy's & Gals

I know there have been, various discussions on measuring for fin setup, I am currently running a 2014 HO S2, I am asking the question, because with the textured bottom, the fin slot is not as defined as some skis, there is a larger radius than most, by the time you have measured where the radius has stopped, the caliper is raised away from the ski on the opposite side to the tips, very small movement with the caliper, across the ski, changes the measurement considerably.

If I lay the caliper on the ski into the slot, I get 6.841, if I put the caliper across the slot I get a range from 6.824 - 6.833.

What to do, apart from experimentation ? Is there anybody, representing HO, that can set a ski up and then measure the fin by laying the caliper on the ski into the slot and state a measurement, for length, I would be sooooooooo grateful.

• Baller

I know it is a simple task and you measure the ski the same, as others, but because of the textured material and much more rounded edge of the slot, you end up measuring across a wider gap, because you measure across a wider gap, the caliper does not sit down as close to the ski, as I would like, if you have the tips on one side and put the caliper flat on the ski there is a gap between the ski and the calipers, so that the measurement is not as accurate as you would like it to be.

I guess I should not have asked the question, a fault of mine is that I am an Aircraft Engineer and like to get things just right.

• Baller_
@Stevie: can you use a pencil to mark where the fin to ski intersection is, then measure the fin at length on those marks? Might take out the ambiguity of the rounded surface I think you are referring to.

• Baller

@ Horton thanks for the video, and I find the method you show, always consistent, obviously you have measured many skis and I respect your years of experience, but very good skiers have told me, that I am wrong when using this method, thats why I was asking.

@DW thanks for your input, as I think you understand where I am coming from, or though I think it's getting very close to PANDA time.

• Baller
The way Horton showed to measure length with the tips is the standard way to measure length with the tips. If you are using a ski companies length measurement (unless it is Goode's numbers with their slot calipers using jaws) they are measuring that way.